PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Mold

xringshutr
01-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Quick question for all of you. I picked up a 266469 single cavity a while back and have tried a casting with it a couple times. The bullet really sticks in this mold and does not want to release. I have used all of the common techniques to free it and nothing seems to work very well. It gets to the point that I have to push it free from the mold with my sprue mallet or worse, a screwdriver. As most of you know, this mold has a ton of driving bands and lube grooves. Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance. :drinks:

hydraulic
01-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Scrub the cavities with alcohol and a toothbrush. Smoke heavily with wooden matches. This works on my molds though I have no experience with small bullet molds like yours.

docone31
01-11-2009, 09:37 PM
This has worked for me,
Slide the sprue plate way aside, put a machine screw nut over the cavity, the largest you can fit, heat the mold, pour through the nut, and let cool.
Remove the casting, smear some Clover on the cast piece. replace the casting into the cavity and slowly turn with a wrench closing with light pressure. Gradually close untill the mold is shut and the casting can spin. Keep spinning untill it is real easy.
Remove the casting and toss into the pot. The nut can be removed later.
I pour a few castings through the mold and toss them back in the pot. As soon as they cast clean, pour your heart out.
This is what works for me.
I am not sure why, maybe machine marks on the edges, or microscopic chatter on the cavity face.
I do know, I get shiney castings with less wrinkles.
Doesn't seem to hurt anything.

Bill*
01-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Maybe not a big deal, but I would throw out that single boolit before putting even a "smidgeon" of grinding compound into the alloy mix. Probably can't do much harm,but why take a chance?............Bill

docone31
01-11-2009, 10:55 PM
Shoot, I have done it a bunch of times. It floats to the top, so does the nut, I just toss em in.
That technique has made some of my stubborn molds drop them right out though.

xringshutr
01-11-2009, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the responses. Tried the mold again tonight and it is still sticking. Man is it making some sweet bullets though!!! Sharp driving bands, and sharp, filled base too. They drop out weighing 146.3 grains. Pure WW with enough tin to fill out the mold. I really like the bullet so I am going to try recleaning and smoking first, then go from there. I kind of got a technique of nudging the base of the bullet with the corner of flat tip screwdriver. It only takes a little push so it doesn't hurt the bullet. Just a pain in the butt. If anyone else has any thing else they have used to cure this, let me know.
:Fire: