PDA

View Full Version : old colt

leadeye
01-11-2009, 08:01 PM
I have an old Colt 45 that I bought at a sale that was rusted over and locked up. While cleaning it up and repairing it I noticed it had small checkering on the trigger,safety,magazine ejector, backstrap, hammer spur, slide stop, etc. As there was no finish at all and lots of small pits I buffed all the rust off and then had it reblued. The guy who did the rebluing said the gun was old but had no other info. Shoots fine now. Any Colt guys out there with an idea on it's age? Ser #C1426XX. Picture is not real good but the best my camera can do.

fishhawk
01-11-2009, 08:07 PM
that number shows as a 1925 year product. steve k

leadeye
01-11-2009, 08:27 PM
That is old! Thanks steve.

9.3X62AL
01-11-2009, 11:44 PM
It cleaned up right well, Leadeye. Nice-looking old classic stuttergun.

Dennis Eugene
01-12-2009, 12:09 AM
The c stands for commerical issue (you probley already knew that) but it makes them just that much more interesting IMHO. Dennis

MakeMineA10mm
01-12-2009, 01:10 AM
Nice job. Who did the bluing for you? From the distance away that the pic is taking we can't make any real conclusions, but the color looks really good, and it looks like your markings are still in-tact, inspite of the rust... Is the rampant horse still there on the slide?

leadeye
01-12-2009, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the comments guys! You can still see the horse although the top of its head is a little faint. Most of the pits were under the grips, around the back of the gun, and on the safety. Some scratches on the slide. There is a small number 51 stamped on the side of the trigger guard up near where it connects to the frame. Now I need to find a good 1930's style shoulder holster for it, like Mike Hammer's. :D