PDA

View Full Version : Identifying this sliding lever

stanford
10-02-2021, 09:51 PM
Hi everyone,

I am trying to build a decapper and I stumbled upon this video and was wondering if anyone has a clue about how the T looking rod on the bottom
is made to slide back and forth. I can't for the life of me figure out how to make the T lever go forward like that. I know the spring pulls it back
to the starting position. I can see that the lever is hit when the motor travels up and then it slides forward (maybe at an angle), I tried prototyping
the piece with some wood but that's not working. Has anyone done something like this and can explain how to make this.

Thanks.

https://youtu.be/6Zz3-xmbIJ4?t=284

samari46
10-02-2021, 11:36 PM
I'm guessing that there may be a cam hiding on the underside of that press. Either that or a smaller wheel with an eccentric like as shown on the front. Other than that the slide is captive by the two plates on either side and the spring pulls it back. Timing wouldn't be hard to do. Frank

Winger Ed.
10-02-2021, 11:50 PM
You'll need a pretty big screen to see it, but at 2:31, there is a red lever that actuates it, and spring to pull it back.

stanford
10-03-2021, 08:57 AM
I looked at that video so many times that a cam does make sense. There seems to be a slot at the bottom of the plate at certain parts of the video and it could have some bearing on the bottom.

When you look at this video I wonder how these people are making theirs slide while its flat on a table. I really would like to figure out how to get the slide action without having a hole on the
underside.
https://youtu.be/bi1WA1A92j0?t=7

If you guys have any ides please let me know, I really want to figure this out and its a bit difficult since I am not a machinist.

wv109323
10-03-2021, 10:59 AM
The ram on the upstroke is hitting the lever that comes forward. Imagine an upside down "L" shaped lever. The lever is pivoted at the 90 degree corner. Push up on the short side of the "L" and long side must move forward around the pivot point. The long arm will move in an arc which would put an upward force on bullet/shell carrier. This can be eliminated by putting a wheel on the carrier so all the force is linear to sliding the lever. The return of the carrier is by a spring.

oley55
10-03-2021, 01:50 PM
The ram on the upstroke is hitting the lever that comes forward. Imagine an upside down "L" shaped lever. The lever is pivoted at the 90 degree corner. Push up on the short side of the "L" and long side must move forward around the pivot point. The long arm will move in an arc which would put an upward force on bullet/shell carrier. This can be eliminated by putting a wheel on the carrier so all the force is linear to sliding the lever. The return of the carrier is by a spring.

vw10923 seems to be correct. If you watch and then pause at 04:44 you can see the upside down L mentioned. There also appears to be hex bolts on the up/down slide arms that go into a cone shaped cup for timing and alignment purposes I think. So the up/down slide engages the L and forces the horizontal slide forward. As it drops the springs draws it rearward. I suspect the bottom of the upside down L has a shallow slot so the pivot pin/slide can move back and forth without lifting the slide.