PDA

View Full Version : A fun gun to fix

44man
01-11-2009, 06:13 PM
My friend brought a Hopkins and Allen .22 revolver over that was his grandfathers. It had a nail for a cylinder pin so I made a new pin. The pin latch was worn out and I made a new one. The hard part was to make a new trigger spring because it was broken too. Flat, bent springs are tough. The gun works like a charm now.

woody1
01-11-2009, 06:22 PM
Good on you. You got another old timer back amongst the living again. I love to see those old timers being used as was intended. Regards, Woody

gon2shoot
01-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Thats great, those old guns should be shot not spend their golden years in a box.
You may now refer to yourself as Newlife Giver.:roll:

wolfspotter
01-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Nice! I like those old guns. Can you shoot modern shells in it? I have an old forehand & wadsworth 32 but haven't shot it. The flat trigger spring is weak & needs to be reheatreated.

44man
01-11-2009, 11:49 PM
I dropped a LR shell in the cylinder and it sticks out the front. I guess it was made for shorts or longs.

Catshooter
01-12-2009, 12:03 AM
I dropped a LR shell in the cylinder and it sticks out the front. I guess it was made for shorts or longs.

. . . and no "High Speed" of either length for sure. He knows that, right?

Cat

44man
01-12-2009, 10:52 AM
He will when he picks it up. I have a bunch of standard shorts to shoot out of it and I will tell him those are the only ones to shoot.
I am also going to give him a little dowel to push empties out with. Removing the cylinder every time is what wore out the latch so that the pin fell out and got lost.
I just hope my trigger spring holds up, darn I hate to make folded springs.
I checked Gun Parts first and they didn't have a thing for the gun.
I can't wait to shoot the old timer though.
Does anyone have a book that shows the value? It can't be worth a lot except as a keepsake.

Gunfixer
01-14-2009, 03:28 PM
44man. Brownells used to carry them and had an asst. too. Havent checked in awhile. I still have 2 or 3. I mainly get Iver Johnsons in but only about 1 a year