PDA

View Full Version : Almost stepped it today

murf205
10-01-2021, 06:54 PM
I carried my brand new 527 CZ .223 to the range today to zero the scope and clock a few loads. I strapped the Magneto Speed on the barrel and plugged it into the display and took a small wooden dowel about 16" long and put it in the barrel to make sure a bullet wouldn't hit the unit. Walked back and took a seat, loaded a round. took the safety off and then made the little mental check if everything was ok and that's when the alarm went off. I had left the wooden dowel in the barrel! Whew, glad I made that little check. The range officer told me later in the day that he had a stainless rod to check his Magneto Speeds alignment and left it in a 6.5 Creedmoor. It banana peeled the Kreiger barrel back about 12". Mental mistakes--we humans are bound to make them.

lar45
10-01-2021, 07:05 PM
Wow, I'm glad you did the last check.
I had a buddy use my Brownell's tools to cut a new crown on his 270. I put a patch in the end of the barrel to catch any chips and forgot to clean it out when he went to the range. It put a little bulge, but didn't split the barrel.

littlejack
10-01-2021, 07:57 PM
Murf205
Good on you sir. I find my memory getting shorter these past few years. I find I have to deliberately do something at the time I think of it. Otherwise, theres a good chance I may forget what it was. Glad to hear you didnt get hurt.

OldBearHair
10-01-2021, 08:19 PM
Put a spring on the end of that dowel so that when you depress it into the barrel and the checking is done, just turn it loose and out comes the dowel.. ROTTOMH (right off the top of my head) without a lot of forethought. LOL

country gent
10-01-2021, 08:33 PM
Do like the old timers did with the false muzzles. put a "flag" on the end that blocks the scope or sights when left in. Or could be as simple as a plastic disc cut from a pop bottle and glued on the one end, or a larger dowel with a cross hole drilled to be glued over the dowel so it blocks sights.

murf205
10-02-2021, 10:12 AM
Do like the old timers did with the false muzzles. put a "flag" on the end that blocks the scope or sights when left in. Or could be as simple as a plastic disc cut from a pop bottle and glued on the one end, or a larger dowel with a cross hole drilled to be glued over the dowel so it blocks sights.

I like that idea. Littlejack, I am in total agreement about doing something before I forget it. Gettin' old aint for sissiesis it?

murf205
10-02-2021, 10:15 AM
I have seen an ad for a mount by Wiser industries that fits on a rail under the fore arm but the pics I've seen are on chassis style guns. I don't have a chassis gun and have no interest in one but if anybody knows whether the Wiser will work on a regular sporter wood stock, I sure would like to know.
Murf

GregLaROCHE
10-02-2021, 11:04 AM
Luckily you didn’t have a problem. Anything put down the muzzle of a gun should immediately removed after use.

oley55
10-02-2021, 11:45 AM
Good post and thread.

Although I have been fighting it, I have finally gone back to making and using a checklist for many of my routine activities. As a mostly retarded 35+ year ATC type, use of checklists were relentlessly hammered into our work DNA, to the point I resented doing it for any home or hobby activities. But they do most certainly have their benefits.

lightman
10-02-2021, 12:00 PM
Glad you remembered it before you fired. Thanks for posting, that could be a reminder for all of us.

Gundogx2
10-02-2021, 02:00 PM
Shot a ram rod down range once out of a muzzle loader never found it
No damage but let’s just say there was a little more recoil with an aluminum rod added

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

murf205
10-02-2021, 02:12 PM
I'll bet the recoil was stiff in that muzzle loader. The range officer I mentioned earlier said that the recoil in that little Creedmoor felt more like a 416 that a 6.5! Not to make excuses. but there was a guy next to me that was asking questions about the chronograph and I guess(know) that I was distracted. It is a state run range and at times it is crowded. Still on me to be more vigilant.

Hanzy4200
10-02-2021, 10:54 PM
These type things scare the crap out of me. Simply because we ALL can do it. No matter how safe you are, we are just wired in a way that given the right time, distraction, conversation, interruption, we can have a split second lapse that can have drastic consequences.

Earlier in the year I had a big foul. I had a .223 end cap on my Hybrid 46 suppressor. I had brought a friend to the range, which I never do. I always double check my rig before shooting with a can. That day, the discussion threw me off my game. Let a 147 gr 9mm down range. Thankfully the Hybrid is built like a tank and it sustained no damage. Other than my pride.

Bmi48219
10-02-2021, 11:05 PM
Still on me to be more vigilant.

You can’t be too careful but something tells me you’ll never make that mistake again.

murf205
10-03-2021, 09:34 AM
I put these red ty wraps (us electricians call them) on the end of my alignment dowel. This has got to be a clue that 'sumpin aint right here'.289611289612

country gent
10-03-2021, 09:58 AM
A disc cut from a bright orange Tide bottle 3-4" in dia with matching hole for dowel glued on would stick out like a sore thumb not only a visible from the color but would block the sights also

murf205
10-03-2021, 09:50 PM
Yeah, probably better that the ty wraps. It is a work in progress for sure but blocking the view is the way to go. Thanks

bruce381
10-05-2021, 12:22 AM
wait till you shoot a 41 mag out of a 44 mag and wonder why you missed LOL

murf205
10-06-2021, 05:54 PM
A friend of mine shot a 12 ga shell into the back of a 20ga shell and he wondered where the rest of his Beretta O/U went! Lucky to still have a left hand! I think I fixed my problem with forgetting about the alignment dowel for the Magneto Speed. You can see that it blocks the view from the scope letting me know that something is amiss. Thanks to country gent for the tip.

country gent
10-06-2021, 09:08 PM
Looks good Murf 205. I had not thought of a snap on can top. You will see it well as will others

Now in very small letters write Hey Dummy around it so if you do get to the point of looking thru the scope thats what you will see. LOL

Wild Bill 7
10-07-2021, 06:15 AM
Glad you didn’t urt yourself or your gun. As for checklists I use them simply for the fact that I hate getting to the range(20 miles) and forget something. Done that a couple of times and what a waste of time.

David2011
10-10-2021, 07:54 PM
A friend of mine shot a 12 ga shell into the back of a 20ga shell and he wondered where the rest of his Beretta O/U went! Lucky to still have a left hand! I think I fixed my problem with forgetting about the alignment dowel for the Magneto Speed. You can see that it blocks the view from the scope letting me know that something is amiss. Thanks to country gent for the tip.

In Hunter Ed classes that is exactly why we preached to only carry shells for the shotgun that’s being used at that time.

murf205
10-11-2021, 05:29 AM
In Hunter Ed classes that is exactly why we preached to only carry shells for the shotgun that’s being used at that time.

Yep. that's what happened to him. He had his grandson with him and the GS shoots a 20ga, hence the other guage ammo in the wrong pocket.