PDA

View Full Version : Midway shipping sucks!

stubshaft
09-30-2021, 03:24 PM
I have been ordering products from Midway for a number of years, starting when they only had a small PAPER catalog. Recently I was surfing the web for 10mm/.40 cal. bullets and saw that Midway had a good price on Berry's Plated bullets so I went ahead and ordered a thousand. I have got to say that what I received was probably put together by a crippled monkey.

The box (MFRB) arrived with NO indication of external damage. However when I opened it I saw this:

The small box on the lower right has a small tag that indicates it hold 1000 bullets (no way) and the styrofoam was just thrown on top, which let the LOOSE bullets wear, adding the little white styro balls to mix with the bullets.

To add insult to injury, there were only 992 bullets in the box (YES, I counted them).

Scrounge
09-30-2021, 03:34 PM
Have you talked to them about the problem? I ordered some 9mm ammo for my youngest a few months back, and UPS delivered someplace other than my house. Midway refunded my money immediately, and I keep getting email from them warning me that the batch of ammo they shipped to me has been recalled. So they are at least trying. Got nothing to loose by trying, and you can send the photos you took to support the fact that there was a problem. https://www.midwayusa.com/help/ they have phone numbers, live chat, and email as contact options.

Bill

BJK
09-30-2021, 03:47 PM
They need to hear about this. I never had problems with their shipping. But lots of people have no clue how to ship anything. Maybe new help? But anyway, they need to hear from you.

Winger Ed.
09-30-2021, 04:23 PM
I've never had any problems with them, but I'd let them know about this and maybe they'll pack the heavier stuff a little better.

Of all my shipping issues, the problems have always been with stuff that was rather heavy for its (small) size.
If its small enough to be thrown, and heavy enough to bust up the packaging when it lands,,,
that's the perfect recipe for damaged boxes.

Oh, on those bulk packs of bullets or something, they usually don't count them like medicine.
At best, they are dumped into a box on a scale and brought up to a specified weight.
Or, the small stuff is dumped in, and the packer goes, "That looks about right".

Years ago, I got a box of 1,000 .45, 230gr, hardball, bulk packed for a good deal.
Ran them through the process along with a full box of primers.
After seeing I had 300 or so bullets left over,,,,, I went back and bought the other boxes of them they had.

Dusty Bannister
09-30-2021, 04:37 PM
I recently purchased 1K 22 cal fmj bullets and had them delivered to a friend in VA. The box appeared to be intact upon arrival, but the box of bullets had been packed for the trip with those little air pillows. The original box of bullets had gaped at the seams and was dribbling bullets inside the box and perhaps elsewhere. Not knowing if there was a loss of contents, my friend had to count them to be sure it was close to 1K.

I notified Midway and got a reply. At least they did not use those worthless air pillows for your shipment so maybe they are figuring it out. Heavy items need substantial packing and sealing.

Thank you for reaching out to MidwayUSA’s President & CEO Matt Fleming. While Matt personally answers many of the emails which come to Presidential comments, occasionally he asks for some help to ensure each Customer gets answered in a timely manner. Matt has asked me to follow up with you on his behalf.

I am very sorry for the inconvenience regarding this order. We certainly don't want this to be how our orders are arriving. If it is determined that bullets have been lost, please let us know.

In the meantime, we are documenting this issue to make sure we can improve our process in the future. I apologize again for the inconvenience.

On Behalf of Matt,

Thanks for Your Business,

Michael
MidwayUSA Customer Service

243winxb
09-30-2021, 04:51 PM
Bulk sold by weight, not count.

Der Gebirgsjager
09-30-2021, 06:47 PM
I've always had a good experience with their shipping. It usually arrives before they predict that it will. I'd tell them about the problem and send them your photos. I'm sure they'll make it right and give someone some additional training.

DG

Finster101
09-30-2021, 06:54 PM

The issue is if you advertise 1000 it should be at least 1000. If you want to sell 2lbs and say approximately 1000 that's different. When I say I am selling 100 or 500 of something on this forum that is what people expect to get. Why should Midway be different?

BK7saum
09-30-2021, 06:55 PM
I agree, bulk count by weight, but you paid for 1k. I would ask for the additional bullets they shorted you. Of course if the entire box wasnt taped, they could be rolling around on a post office floor somewhere. Still...their mistake.

BK7saum
09-30-2021, 06:55 PM
Starline always includes an extra 3-5 pieces of vrass per 1K.

fc60
09-30-2021, 08:09 PM
Greetings,

Same thing happened to me. I bought 4 boxes of bulk 32 wadcutters and all four boxes burst open in shipping.

What really made it bad was the styrofoam packing was ground up into little teeny tiny bits.

I used a vacuum to remove the white bits while stirring the bullets.

I sent photos to Midway suggesting they use strapping tape on the boxes.

They apologized and sent me a complimentary box of bullets properly taped for shipment.

Cheers,

Dave

Minerat
09-30-2021, 08:13 PM
Midway is not responsible for bullet count the original manufacturer is. Call Berry they are the ones that short packed the box.

Poor packing in Midway's fault. Fortunately when I ordered from them in the past the bulk packed Berry 500 - 325gr 50 cals came just fine with the box intact and so did the 1000 - 40 cals.

Mal Paso
09-30-2021, 08:56 PM

They may be counted by weight but they are sold by count. No free pass.

Mal Paso
09-30-2021, 09:01 PM
Starline always includes an extra 3-5 pieces of vrass per 1K.

Not always, they were short on one. I'm trying to remember but I think the last order put me close to even.

Ordered a 1 1/8 Jackhammer Steel (pointy business end) and got an empty box except for a couple flattened air bags. First day on the packing job?

megasupermagnum
10-01-2021, 12:15 AM
The pictures might not tell the whole story, but to me, I don't see that Midway did too bad. It appears they stuffed the box in the corner of their shipping box, and filled the rest of the space pretty good with Styrofoam. Am I seeing that wrong?

As far as I can tell, Berry's is to blame here, both for a short count, and for using a box and tape that couldn't handle 1000 bullets shifting around.

Walks
10-01-2021, 02:18 AM
Gone are the days when Sierra put 101 in a box. Guess they were trying to make up for the 99 that Speer put in their boxes.

YES, midway shipping sucks. Pay for cheap labor get poor results. Daughter bought me a dozen cans of chili not sold here. Got a box with 8 dented and 0ne burst can, no packing materials. And they left it on the sidewalk, 40ft from the front door.

We all have horror stories about shipping from just about everybody selling every thing.

abunaitoo
10-01-2021, 04:11 AM
Haven't bought anything from middleway for a long time.
Their shipping prices are way to high.
They will ship flat rate to us, but charge a EXTRA HANDLING charge because I'm in hawaii.
Used to buy everything from them.
Will never buy from them again.

gunarea
10-01-2021, 05:57 AM
I have quit Midway because they are gouging on several items. Supposed to be our shooting friends but will take the opportunity to screw their friends. Down here in Florida it is Illegal to gouge during distress. Doesn't apply to Midway! Too many quality vendors for the practice to flourish.

BK7saum
10-01-2021, 07:49 AM
The pictures might not tell the whole story, but to me, I don't see that Midway did too bad. It appears they stuffed the box in the corner of their shipping box, and filled the rest of the space pretty good with Styrofoam. Am I seeing that wrong?

As far as I can tell, Berry's is to blame here, both for a short count, and for using a box and tape that couldn't handle 1000 bullets shifting around.

Is that a Berry's box? i have not ordered from Berry's, but have ordered enough bulk bullets from Midway to see that they repackage a lot of bulk bullets themselves. If that is a Berry's packages box then yeah, Berry's has some fault in this as well.

bakerjw
10-01-2021, 08:44 AM
I only use Scheels.com for bullets. All through this latest mess, they've managed to have bullets in stock.
If only they sold primers.

bedbugbilly
10-01-2021, 08:52 AM
I have ordered a number of things from MidwayUSA over the past couple of years - never had an issue with not receiving things quickly, so can't complain on that.

However . . . . I do question their packing methods. I blame it on whoever is in charge of their packing department and/or whoever is in charge of training the packers. Many of the items I have received from them have been packed in boxes that were way too large and very poorly cushioned - especially considering the weight of the item - the possibility of the item shucking around in the box if roughly handled during shipment, etc. Shipping bullets as shown by the OP is a good example.

I recently purchased a BP revolver from them - it was put in a very large box - way too big - and whoever packaged jus threw in some of the air pocket cushions. By the time it arrived, it had been shucked around so much that most of the air pocket cushions were ruptured and the box that Ubertyi packs their revolvers in looked like it had gone through a war - banged up box corners - not pretty. The revolver was fine - but my first impression was that whoever packed it had the attitude of "good 'nuff".

Certainly not the quality of packing that I have become accustomed to from such dealers as Titan Reloading, Grafs, NOE Moulds, etc.

Froogal
10-01-2021, 09:15 AM
I have purchased many things from Midway, and I am always satisfied, but I do agree that the shipping department needs some lessons on how to pack a shipping box. 2 layers of air pillows on top of the item, with NO padding underneath is just simply pure laziness.

Burnt Fingers
10-01-2021, 04:36 PM
I only use Scheels.com for bullets. All through this latest mess, they've managed to have bullets in stock.
If only they sold primers.

They do sell primers. They can't keep them in stock.

Finster101
10-01-2021, 04:44 PM
They do sell primers. They can't keep them in stock.

I looked and apparently they do not sell them online. I saw no option for ordering them on the website. If I am wrong I would be happy to know.

JCM45
10-01-2021, 05:06 PM
Have bought from Midway many times. Frequently dissatisfied with their packaging techniques.

RustyReel
10-01-2021, 05:16 PM
Have bought from Midway many times. Frequently dissatisfied with their packaging techniques.

Agree, especially with their "Free" shipping. That stuff always seems to come in the bubble wrap envelope no matter what it is. So far, everything has arrived safely although a few of the original product boxes things were in are sometimes beat up a bit.

AKbushman49
10-01-2021, 05:40 PM
I'm sorry to hear of this. Being located where I am (AK) crappy shipping/packing is almost the norm. But I can say that I've never had that issue with Midway. I've received over 12 packages from them in last 6 months, all were very well packed, and tightly sealed.
bushman

remy3424
10-01-2021, 08:11 PM
I have had some shipping mishaps with Midway before, but they will make things right. On the gouging, if their price is too high, just buy from another vender, I don't think the "gouging" laws pertain to hobby supplies. They are my first option for supplies I can't source locally. Even when I am retired, I am sure I won't count bullets...boxes of 100 or 1,000. If I lived closed, I would give the op a dozen cast & PCed boolits to help him out....after all, don't they advertise those plated bullets to be loaded to lead boolit velocities? Thought I remember that from a couple decades ago when I used to buy handgun boolits.

richhodg66
10-01-2021, 08:22 PM
I stopped doing buisiness with Midway about 20 years ago, they goy royally stupid on an order of mine and that was after watching them get progressively worse over several years.

Darn shame, back in the pre-internet days when they'd send out the paper "Truck Load Sale" papers, I loved them and did a an order just about every month with them. Classic case of getting too big for their own good.

Natchez and Graffs now. Better luck with both of them.

Edward
10-01-2021, 08:22 PM
You do realize help is hard to find and good help is impossible to find and working for bean counters at (Larry's) is not exactly one of the higher paying jobs ! Anything shipped into todays market ,your lucky to get it ,complaining about packing is laughable , think thank you for finding my home and in the same month !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ed

Geezer in NH
10-02-2021, 03:51 PM
I would complain to Midway cause we won't help you for sure.

Call MIDWAY duh

Shawlerbrook
10-02-2021, 05:41 PM
Unfortunately with the labor shortages I think we will see more of this sort of thing. Definitely not right .

stubshaft
10-04-2021, 01:24 AM
I DID, contact Midway's Customer service. Their response was "were sorry your order was packed improperly" and an $.84 refund?

bluebird66
10-06-2021, 10:10 AM
Midway's shipping has always been good for me.

gwpercle
10-06-2021, 10:35 AM
Dissatisfied with a seller ... do something meaningful ... Don't buy from them .
That hits them where it hurts ... a business that doesn't sell goes belly up .
Put them out of business .
Gary

skrapyard628
10-06-2021, 11:33 AM
Ive never had a complaint about how quickly Midway gets orders shipped to me. Usually the product arrives within 1 week, which is great.

Definitely have to agree about the packing being sub par though. My last order from them was 2 boxes of .500 350gr Hornady XTPs and some mtm ammo boxes for 50beowulf. There was only one strip of the air bubble packing in the box. The bullet boxes had been banging around in the box and cracked/damaged 3 of the mtm ammo boxes.

I sent pictures to them of the damaged ammo boxes and they promptly shipped me 4 new boxes. So I got one for free!

It seems they try to make things right so I commend their customer service for that effort.