PDA

View Full Version : 45 acp small primer in a revolver

4719dave
09-30-2021, 12:06 PM
Okay.It's better to ask !!!!! friend has some small pistol primer wants to load 45 acp in his revolver any difference vs loading for my 1911's ?

Thumbcocker
09-30-2021, 12:09 PM
Nope. Same dimensions and pressure. Some people hot rod some revolvers but not a good idea.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

dannyd
09-30-2021, 02:06 PM
used in a S&W 625 (New Model) large and small rifle also large and small pistol. Not much change except the large rifle gave best numbers on chronograph. Your mileage may very.

Winger Ed.
09-30-2021, 02:12 PM
I'm not sure why the .45ACP wasn't switched over to SP many, many years ago.

I figured using the LP primer was a deal where when Browning cut off .30-06 brass* to make it when he developed the round,
it ended up being another example of: 'we've always done it that way'.

Or more nearly, back then he could have been using the original .30-45 or the newer .30-03 cases,
before it was finalized to the present '06' version.

stubshaft
09-30-2021, 03:00 PM
I got rid of all of my LP 45 brass years ago and switched to SP primarily for logistical reasons. Depending on the powder used I see very little difference in velocity between the two and would only consider going back to LP primers because I CAN'T FIND ANY SP PRIMERS!

DocSavage
09-30-2021, 03:45 PM
No difference in my 625 or 1911s

tazman
09-30-2021, 05:12 PM
A number of target shooters in my area prefer the small primer brass. They claim(and these guys are good enough to know) that they get tighter groups with the small primers.
Myself, I can't tell any difference. Then again, I am not a good enough handgun shot to know.
I have read about this online also but can't point you to an article about it. I think it would mostly depend on your particular gun.
As far as load data, use the same data you use for large primers. The worst case would be a few feet per second less speed.

4719dave
10-01-2021, 08:19 PM
Thanks guys

DocSavage
10-01-2021, 09:14 PM
Have to admit I have brass that takes either SP or LP that way I don't have to worry about my primer supply

Outpost75
10-01-2021, 10:31 PM
I accumulated the SPP brass in quantity so that I could use small size primers for most of my loading.

For light wadcutter target loads the small primer is a useful refinement which improves grouping with light charges of fast-burning powders such as Bullseye, TiteGroup, WST or 231. For full - charge loads with slower burning powders such as WSF, AutoComp, Power Pistol, Unique, Herco and heavier 230-grain bullets, a small pistol magnum primer is very much better and approximates the same pressure and velocity of a large pistol primer.

30Carbiner
10-02-2021, 08:11 AM
Does a SPP take the same amount of hammer strike force to ignite as a LPP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outpost75
10-03-2021, 06:50 PM
Does a SPP take the same amount of hammer strike force to ignite as a LPP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. All no fire is 0.007" on copper, all fire 0.011" on copper.

practical_man
10-03-2021, 11:03 PM
30 carbiner

I believe the impact specification is the same for both small and large primers. Shouldn’t make a difference. In my experience it sometimes matters, the small primers being harder to ignite.

Back in the dark ages I shot a 45 acp revolver in USPSA style matches. That revolver was tuned to light WInchester LPP and the DA pull was about 6.5 pounds. It will not reliably light Federal factory 45 acp ammo with small pistol primers. Just one of those things.

I have had no such trouble with 1911 pattern pistols. They devour whatever is fed them. No difference in accuracy with 185 LSWC loads.

gwpercle
10-05-2021, 06:18 PM
No differences to speak of when loading 45 acp with small pistol primer or large pistol primer .
Read a big write up in a gun magazine , loads were the same , only the primers were different , pressures and velocities were in the normal range of variations you would expect ...
Conclusion was use the published data as printed in manuals ... primer size didn't do anything to the load . Accuracy seemed to be about the same but they didn't test accuracy specifically .
The bottom line is you don't have to adjust loads worked up with large primers when you want to load brass that has small primers .
Gary