PDA

View Full Version : Pictures on swaging a non-gascheck bullet to accept GC

Swagerman
01-07-2006, 01:29 PM
My camera is not the best for close ups, but will try to show how this technique works to put a gascheck on a non-gascheck lead bullet.

You need a swaging die like C-H makes that has the rounded ogive in upper chamber of the die. This is where the bullet gets it taper roundness and flat point.

The die and bullet of your choice is requred as well as a flat or bullet head shaped punch is needed on your shellholder.

Run the bullet up into the die (backwards) so the rounded ogive area in the die will put a very slight taper on the bullets base. This requires very little pressure.

You'll know you got the die seated in the press right when the gascheck will just about slip on the taper of the bullets base. Now the press and die are set for repeated operation.

Final step is to seat the gascheck in lubesizer press, or in a swaging press.

It works extremely well, and you can do this to any hardness bullet.

Jim

PS This bullet was once a Meistercast 158 grain .38 special, swaged up to .429 diameter as .44 caliber; and a gascheck makes it now a 161 or 162 grain bullet...which is pretty lite. But you can do this to any weight size bullet.

Buckshot
01-21-2006, 09:30 AM
...........Cool Jim! I guess I somehow missed this post.

................Buckshot

45 2.1
01-21-2006, 09:58 AM
Good swaging job. Now what I need is a 180 gr. 434" bullet. Parent bullet would be a RCBS 40-180-FN. Buckshot?

Buckshot
01-22-2006, 08:48 AM
Good swaging job. Now what I need is a 180 gr. 434" bullet. Parent bullet would be a RCBS 40-180-FN. Buckshot?

................HA! You bet! 8) I have plenty on my plate at the moment and for some time to come. Now if you're talking some nebulous "Later on, down the road" deal, then you can draw up some plans and hang on to them for awile. Your current stuff is in the job book and coming up quick.

I'd like to get back into some of this shooting stuff ya'll talk about all the time! :bigsmyl2:

...............Buckshot

Swagerman
01-22-2006, 02:35 PM
Thanks, fellows. The enclosed pix are of 175 to 180 grain bullets with swaged bases for non-gascheck bullets.

I like the SWC style for these shorter shanked lead bullets. I made the nose punch for it.

Jim

Swagerman
11-24-2007, 08:30 PM
Here are the pictures of the bullets being formed with a taper to accept the gas checks.

Bullet setting on flat nose punch...ready to be pushed up into the swage die's rounded ogive.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P5040031650rtpnon-gascheckseating.jpg

Cast bullet shown in tapering stages to its finished .45 caliber 255 grain configuration.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P80200353bulletsshowingGCtapercropp.jpg

Jim