PDA

View Full Version : Hodgdon® Announces Closure of GOEX Facility

M-Tecs
09-27-2021, 08:27 PM
http://namlhunt.com/goex-to-close.html?fbclid=IwAR09kWgfPwV0ocmwD4etzphggnwJ0i b43LSuUeO-PtxGQCFs9YJH8irQZXY

Press Release
September 27, 2021

Hodgdon® Announces Closure of GOEX Facility

Effective immediately, Hodgdon Powder Company, Inc. has made the decision to cease manufacturing operations at the company’s Camp Minden, Louisiana site while evaluating strategic options for the black powder business.

The business will wind down operations while an evaluation process on the future of the black powder business takes place. Strategic options for the GOEX and Olde Eynsford brands of black powder, along with the manufacturing capabilities, will include a potential sale of the business. All affected employees will be retained through December 31, 2021 to assist in an orderly closing of the site and receive
severance commensurate with their years of service to the company.

The Hodgdon Powder Co., Inc has been honored to have been a part of the GOEX Powder legacy and sustains a fond appreciation for sporting customers who have enjoyed shooting GOEX powders.

About Hodgdon Powder Company, Inc.

Established in 1947 by Bruce and Amy Hodgdon, today, sons J.B. and Bob have grown Hodgdon Powder Company into the largest US supplier of smokeless, blackpowder and blackpowder substitute propellants. The company distributes gunpowder under the Hodgdon®, IMR®, Ramshot®, Acccurate®, Winchester®, Pyrodex®, Triple Seven®, Blackhorn 209® and GOEX® brands.

GhostHawk
09-27-2021, 08:33 PM
I feel sorry for you black powder shooters. Man that bites.

imashooter2
09-27-2021, 09:39 PM
All you guys making your own done drove them under! :grin::kidding:

Tom Trevor
09-27-2021, 11:43 PM
Hope Swiss and the German Schuetzen brands can fill the hole.

dverna
09-28-2021, 12:14 AM
I learned long ago...it’s business. If you cannot make a profit, get rid of it. The numbers must have been bad or someone would have purchased the business. No one shuts down an operation without trying to find a buyer.

FarNorth45
09-28-2021, 03:21 AM
This maybe the last of my BPcr shooting .... i was just getting deep into it and just purchased my Shiloh 1 year ago !!!!! There is one place up here in Alaska to purchase black powder and the only brand is Goex rrrrrh i got less than 15 pounds left !!!!! Dang it , this sucks!!!

Tar Heel
09-28-2021, 06:03 AM
We are seeing the end of the shooting hobby in this country. Covid was the final nail and has impacted the industry world wide. I do not think we will ever get back to the way things were only 10 years ago. I also sense a general lack of interest in the younger shooters for anything but "tactical" black plastic guns and commercial ammo by the case. Hand-loaders and bullet casting fans will go by the wayside. It's an unfortunate and apparent thing for those of us who load and cast but an unnoticed slip into oblivion by the general population who only cares to stare into their iPhone and iPod whilst consuming fake news. Sadly shaking my head.

Captain*Kirk
09-28-2021, 07:18 AM
Now what?
What alternative subs can be used in BPCR loading? Some suppliers still have 1.5F. Could that be used in .45-70 loads effectively?

Geezer in NH
09-28-2021, 02:33 PM
One little EO from the in dementia President will stop all import of Swiss and others claiming it is for the safety of the country from bombers.

fastdadio
09-28-2021, 05:40 PM
Reading this post gave me a knot in my stomach. It seems to just keep getting worse. I have about 4lbs on hand, now what?

Idz
09-28-2021, 06:00 PM
The GoEX website doesn't mention closing. The fireworks folks use a lot of BP I wonder where they get their powder?

Hahndorf1874
09-28-2021, 06:49 PM
Wano make a lot of cracker powder, Fireworks, their (P) range for rifle etc shot very well in my 40/65 Roller.Swiss is also available here in AU.Not sure what Wano is sold as in the states. Mal.

Martin Luber
09-28-2021, 07:15 PM
Change.org has a petition against closure...not that it will help

Tar Heel
09-28-2021, 08:01 PM

Road_Clam
09-29-2021, 07:08 AM

this is at least encouraging, but my questions remain as to why an abrupt closure of the Goex plant with no set continuation plan ? No equity group holding company buyers ? this just doesn't make business sense.

Dave T
09-29-2021, 05:02 PM
On the other gun forums I frequent someone said there was an explosion back in January at Hodgdon's Louisiana plant. Someone else said no one was hurt as it is mostly automated. None of that seems like a reason to shut down but no doubt there is more to it, and probably not any of that good news for BP shooters.

In this day and age one wonders if there could be behind the scenes pressure from the feds to stop production? Very sad and scary times we live in. I fear Tar Heel is right in post #7.

Dave

M-Tecs
09-29-2021, 05:35 PM
It was in June. https://www.ksla.com/2021/06/18/explosion-reported-black-powder-facility-camp-minden/

Shawlerbrook
09-29-2021, 05:47 PM
Very sad, but with the demand for smokeless and the increased use of BP substitutes I’ll bet those lines just weren’t profitable.

muskeg13
09-29-2021, 07:10 PM
This maybe the last of my BPcr shooting .... i was just getting deep into it and just purchased my Shiloh 1 year ago !!!!! There is one place up here in Alaska to purchase black powder and the only brand is Goex rrrrrh i got less than 15 pounds left !!!!! Dang it , this sucks!!!

Where have you bought black powder in Alaska? The only place I knew of was Great Northern Guns, and I hear they have gone out of business.

greenjoytj
09-29-2021, 09:38 PM
Maybe Hodgdon is looking the shake the Federal Gov. Money tree to have tax dollar pay for factory upgrades, like Harley Davidson Motorcycle and General Motors.

I though BP was a strategic resource with special purpose uses by the military.

I’ll have to learn to duplex my handloads in order to stretch my small supply of real OE BP.

FarNorth45
09-29-2021, 10:02 PM
Where have you bought black powder in Alaska? The only place I knew of was Great Northern Guns, and I hear they have gone out of business.

I was buying from Great Northern, they just gave me a name of a guy in Wasilla that just got fully licensed and runs it from his house . Its called Freedoms Armory, we called him yesterday and he told us he was unware of the shutdown but he had plenty with no limit and $28 a pound . I was taking off friday to go 400miles to pick up 15 pounds ....... but today he texted me I could have 5 pounds at $30 . Funny yesterday he said he would not go up on price and he had access to other brands through his distributor!!! I'm not driving 400mile for 5 pounds ....... and it T'ed me off anyway . I burned that bridge and told him no thanks I'll do buisness somewhere else . I'm saving my last 15 pounds , going to smokeless for now ( which i hate to do and haven't yet with my sharps) until i get down the process of making my own .. let the price gouging began !!!

greenjoytj
09-29-2021, 10:07 PM
Maybe Hodgdon is looking the shake the Federal Gov. Money tree to have tax dollar pay for factory upgrades, like Harley Davidson Motorcycle and General Motors.

I though BP was a strategic resource with special purpose uses by the military.

I’ll have to learn to duplex my handloads in order to stretch my small supply of real OE BP.

tmanbuckhunter
09-29-2021, 10:21 PM
I'm not going to panic yet... Goex will be bought or something will take it's place.

muskeg13
09-29-2021, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the info. I've done business with Freedom's Armory in the past. 3-Bears at Pittman Rd in Meadow Lakes said they can sell BP if they can get it from their distributor, but 2 weeks ago their distributor only had 3 lbs of Pyrodex P. I have several old guns that I'm afraid to use anything but real black in, but I don't shoot them much and still have a few pounds of GOEX left.

texasmac
10-03-2021, 09:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHLS3dwxr4o&t=268s

Wayne

downzero
10-03-2021, 10:18 PM
We are seeing the end of the shooting hobby in this country. Covid was the final nail and has impacted the industry world wide. I do not think we will ever get back to the way things were only 10 years ago. I also sense a general lack of interest in the younger shooters for anything but "tactical" black plastic guns and commercial ammo by the case. Hand-loaders and bullet casting fans will go by the wayside. It's an unfortunate and apparent thing for those of us who load and cast but an unnoticed slip into oblivion by the general population who only cares to stare into their iPhone and iPod whilst consuming fake news. Sadly shaking my head.

You're blaming the wrong people. You need to go to a shooting match. The shooters are younger, more athletic, and greater in numbers than ever.

Guns of all kinds are flying off the shelves. I just got an email notification that a single action revolver I wanted a year ago is back in stock.

I don't know how unaware of what is actually going on someone would have to be to hold your position, but if you've been to a gun store since 2008, it should be obvious that you're wrong.

The biggest black powder shooters at my local cowboy matches are in their 30s. There is an old guy or two who does it, but it's the young crowd doing it every match.

BillKilgore
10-10-2021, 06:18 PM
I hope somebody buys the business or supplies another brand to fill the void. A commercial product will be easier than making homegrown; however, I will print the info below....just in case.

There's nothing complicated about the formulation of black powder. It consists of charcoal (carbon), saltpeter (potassium nitrate or sometimes sodium nitrate), and sulfur. Charcoal and sulfur act as the fuel for the explosion, while saltpeter acts as an oxidizer. Sulfur also lowers the ignition temperature, which increases the combustion rate.

In commercial black powder preparation, potassium nitrate or another nitrate (e.g., sodium nitrate) usually is coated with graphite (a form of carbon). This helps prevent electrostatic charge build-up, reducing the chance a stray spark will prematurely ignite the mixture.

Sometimes black powder is tumbled with graphite dust after it is mixed to coat the grains. In addition to reducing static, the graphite reduces moisture absorption, which could prevent gunpowder from igniting.

Charcoal is used instead of pure carbon because it contains incompletely decomposed cellulose. It has a much lower autoignition temperature. Black powder made using pure carbon will ignite, but it won't explode.

Typical modern gunpowder consists of saltpeter, charcoal, and sulfur in a 6:1:1 or 6:1.2:0.8 ratio. Historically significant formulations have been calculated on a percentage basis:

Formula Saltpeter Charcoal Sulfur
Bishop Watson, 1781 75.0 15.0 10.0
British Government, 1635 75.0 12.5 12.5
Bruxelles studies, 1560 75.0 15.62 9.38
Whitehorne, 1560 50.0 33.3 16.6
Arderne lab, 1350 66.6 22.2 11.1
Roger Bacon, c. 1252 37.50 31.25 31.25
Marcus Graecus, 8th century 69.22 23.07 7.69
Marcus Graecus, 8th century 66.66 22.22 11.11
Source: The Chemistry of Gun Powder and Explosives

Tokarev
11-17-2021, 03:47 PM
Hand-loaders and bullet casting fans will go by the wayside.
I think you are exaggerating.
BP shooting may be getting out of fashion but handloading and casting is not.
Not with the currently skyrocketing ammo prices and sketchy availability.

missionary5155
11-26-2021, 05:56 PM
Those who continue to take care of their needs will survive and flourish.

veeman
11-26-2021, 06:35 PM
I scored 5lbs Goex FF powder from Powder Valley a couple weeks ago.