PDA

View Full Version : Martini Cadet receiver sight?

richhodg66
09-26-2021, 06:40 PM
Picked up a little Martini Cadet action sporter today that has a lot of potential for fun. It needs sights. If a guy was going to mount a standard side mounted receiver sight to the action, which one is recommended?

1Hawkeye
09-26-2021, 07:36 PM
If you can find a Parker-Hale #7a sight that would be the one to use. It mounts to the rear tang of the action rather than the side.

richhodg66
09-26-2021, 08:00 PM
This isn't going to be a pretty rifle ever. I was wondering if one of the Williams FP designed for a flat sided receiver could work?

country gent
09-27-2021, 09:39 AM
A side mounted would work but would also be dependent on the width of the receiver compared to the sight. Maybe a redfield Olympic and mount made to center it? Another consideration is cartridge its chambered for as the beam across the action may interfere with extraction ejection.

Anither option might be a tang sight similar to the marbles if one can be found that matches the tang angle

richhodg66
09-27-2021, 09:59 PM
I think I'm gonna try a Williams sight for a Marlin 39A. Looking at the two, I think it'll work. Worst case, I've got a good sight for my 39A.

Gotta figure out a front now, I like brass bead fronts. I'm sure I can get something to work.

Wayne Smith
09-28-2021, 07:55 PM
I have an original sight that I took off a Martini Model #5 and put a scope on it. It is available, I have no idea what it's worth but it won't be cheap, I know that.

richhodg66
09-29-2021, 06:44 AM
I have an original sight that I took off a Martini Model #5 and put a scope on it. It is available, I have no idea what it's worth but it won't be cheap, I know that.

Do you have a picture of it?

Wayne Smith
09-29-2021, 08:37 AM
No, and right now I don't have a decent camera, either. Let me go look at it and get some ID?

Well, I do apologize - I went to look at it where it had been for years - and it wasn't there! I know my memory isn't all there but I thought I would remember selling it. But I must have and didn't remember. It has been surplus to my needs for years and thus available, just not put out there.

richhodg66
09-29-2021, 07:33 PM
No problem. I think this sight for the 39A is gonna be just about right, I hope so anyway.

Bigslug
09-30-2021, 01:10 AM
Submitted for your approval:

PH7A on my .32-20Kinda-Sorta. Running a Lyman 17A globe up front.

richhodg66
09-30-2021, 06:35 AM
Thanks. This is a very light and small rifle, I don't think I want something that big on it as it will be for stalking after fox squirrels. That is a very nice looking sight, if I ever get a cadet to build a target rifle with, I'd definitely like that.

Boz330
09-30-2021, 09:11 AM
Look on e-bay for a PH 7A or 8A, both tang sights. I have both on Martinis and you won't have to drill holes in your receiver to mount them.

Bob

beltfed
09-30-2021, 09:52 AM
Boz330,
The Martini Cadet is Not drilled and tapped on the receiver tang like the 12/15 Club rifles,etc
I have been sitting on a 7A sight for a while . Need to D&T my Cadet 357Mag for it. Now, lately
I am thinking it would be easier to mount a Lyman Or Redfield on the left side of receiver as compared
to figuring out the angles to drill for the 7A

beltfed/arnie

richhodg66
09-30-2021, 09:01 PM
Boz330,
The Martini Cadet is Not drilled and tapped on the receiver tang like the 12/15 Club rifles,etc
I have been sitting on a 7A sight for a while . Need to D&T my Cadet 357Mag for it. Now, lately
I am thinking it would be easier to mount a Lyman Or Redfield on the left side of receiver as compared

beltfed/arnie

This is my thinking as well. If the 39A sight doesn't work, I'll get one for a 94 Winchester. Looking at the Williams I have on my 94, I'm pretty sure it would work OK.

Boz330
10-05-2021, 08:40 AM
Boz330,

beltfed/arnie

My mistake I was thinking small action.

Bob

barrabruce
10-22-2021, 08:08 AM
Boz330,

beltfed/arnie

You could cheat and superglue the sight in place then centre punch with an appropriate size one then drill them out with the holes as a guide.
Then tap.
Being steel on steel I was thinking of soldering them on.
50/50 or 60/40 plumbers stuff not that useless electric solder.

I put Allen headed set screws in mine being rough and rural.
A real job would entail a flat screw driver head.
Definitely no Phillip headed monstrosity.

pietro
10-22-2021, 10:03 AM

For the ultimate sight for a small/light rifle would be a $32 Skinner Lo-Pro (google), which takes a single D/T'd hole atop the rear of the receiver or the breechblock.

Once it's "on", run the elevation adjustment midway in it's range, then measure the distance between the aperture and the chamber C/L to determine the needed total front sight height from the bore C/L at the muzzle - adjust the front sight height by reducing the measurement by 1/2 the barrel thickness at the muzzle for what's needed to be mounted atop the muzzle.

The sight has an 8-40 threaded stem as standard, but can be ordered online directly from Skinner with a 6-48 threaded stem.

http://www.skinnersights.com/lo-pro_sight_7.html

http://www.skinnersights.com/images/Sabatti_A.jpg?961