PDA

View Full Version : Tire shop score results

Budzilla 19
09-26-2021, 02:58 PM
Hit up the local tire shop a few days ago, results are as follows:
133 pounds of rendered out ww metal
21 pounds of pure lead ( stick on weights)
Zinc , haven’t weighed it up yet.
Price was very reasonable. 289270

Taterhead
09-26-2021, 03:42 PM
Hey, nice score and nice work. What kind of bullets do you plan to cast with them?

Budzilla 19
09-26-2021, 05:14 PM
Taterhead, I’ll use this, add 2% tin by weight, then cast 22,9mm,40,44,and high velocity 30 calibers. Probably use it by itself for buckshot also. 12 gauge Slugs get range scrap. 38 wadcutters gets range scrap. Get this amount every couple months. After some more testing, probably going to use Hardball ( 92/6/2 ) for high velocity 30 caliber.

KenH
09-26-2021, 05:41 PM
Of the 133 lb of WW, do you know how many lbs of WW there were? What percent turnout did you have?

edit: Looking back now I can see I didn't word my question very good. My question "should" have read, "how many lbs of lead WW did it take to get the 133 lb of clean lead"?

You surely did make a good score.

Budzilla 19
09-26-2021, 06:51 PM
Ken, the 133 pounds is the result of the remelting. I had probably 75-80 pounds of steel and then there was the zinc, which I haven’t melted yet! This was 2 5 gallon buckets of all the stuff from the tire machines. I bought bulk, no weight , just a price for, “ this is what I got, what’ll you give me for it type of thing” I have a good rapport with the owner as we are lifetime friends. I was satisfied, he grabbed the money, all was good!

beagle74
09-26-2021, 07:07 PM
That sounds like a pretty good haul. I miss those days around here. Very lucky to come across any lead wheel weights anymore. I keep open lines with plumbers and contractors and still do pretty well with roofing lead and lead pipe. More than I can use anyway. But I use it for everything from decoy weights to round ball to sinkers.

Dale53
09-26-2021, 10:38 PM
Budzilla;
You did GOOD! Good Show!

Dale53

cabinarms
09-27-2021, 06:45 AM
where I am at (WI) it can be sporadic on lead COWW. last run purchased 700+ pounds of WW, only 100+ pounds was lead. rest was steel & zinc.
so you got a nice score for sure!
I am always hunting for the COWW.

lightman
09-28-2021, 06:28 PM
It sounds like you came out pretty good.

Around here I am seeing about 60% lead, if I count the stick-on weights. I'm seeing less Zinc and more steel. I'm also seeing more stick-on weights. The lead % has gradually been falling.

GregLaROCHE
09-30-2021, 04:15 AM
That pile of lead in the photo doesn’t weigh more than 133 pounds?

Budzilla 19
09-30-2021, 08:00 AM
Greg, yessir it does weigh more. 154 to be exact. The 133 was the coww only. The other little pile is the stick on weights.

JoeJames
09-30-2021, 09:12 AM
It sounds like you came out pretty good.

Around here I am seeing about 60% lead, if I count the stick-on weights. I'm seeing less Zinc and more steel. I'm also seeing more stick-on weights. The lead % has gradually been falling.That is also about what I have found through my local farmer's tire store. Like my cousin said "find a tire shop that is about a mile out of town and a quarter of a mile down a dirt road' ... ' those folks will not be messing with the fancy sedans and such ... just heavy farm trucks".

remy3424
09-30-2021, 09:18 PM
That pile of lead in the photo doesn’t weigh more than 133 pounds?

Was thinking the same.

Had to get some front-end work done on the wife's Envoy, picked-it up last night. After handing over more than $1,500 (vehicle has north of 200K) I ask if it came with a complientery bucket of used wheel weights...it did, but he only had a third of a bucket or so. I keep telling myself to stop collecting free (I guess those weren't exactly free) lead, but it is a hard habit to break! I might have a ton of lead, should get to selling some before it ends-up in the land fill...have several reloaders around, but no other casters I know of.

Budzilla 19
10-01-2021, 08:29 AM
Guys, I weighed that pile on an old scale, mechanical type, so it might be off but I cross checked it so it’s close enough for me. remy3424, it is a addiction when looking for lead wheel weights! I,
Like you, might need to turn loose of some lead before it ends up at the scrap yard after I’m outta here. But, till then, if you need some lead, I’ll help a fellow caster out!

Cast10
10-01-2021, 09:47 AM
Good job! Good cache!

I do the same. I’ve come up with a mix of SOWW and Hardball. It is approx. 11.3 BHN and even shows expansion. I have shot it in 10mm and will use it in my 9mm. I’m a new guy, so certainly don’t know everything, but this does not lead my 10mm pistol or 10mm carbine.

SN 1% SB 2.57% PB 96.4% ; Simply put, Hardball bars are 5.25# and I add 7# SOWW. I used the calculator to figure it out.

lightman
10-01-2021, 11:16 AM
Guys, I weighed that pile on an old scale, mechanical type, so it might be off but I cross checked it so it’s close enough for me. remy3424, it is a addiction when looking for lead wheel weights! I,
Like you, might need to turn loose of some lead before it ends up at the scrap yard after I’m outta here. But, till then, if you need some lead, I’ll help a fellow caster out!

Yeah, scrounging for lead can become addictive! I don't know why unless its because you witness turning a dirty pile of scrap into a nice clean ingot and then turn that ingot into a nice looking bullet.

I no longer look for lead but I still take it when the network that I spent years developing produces it! I save all of my years scores up and me and a buddy or two will have a joint smelting party in the late winter or early spring. I usually have about two 5 gallon buckets of sorted weights by then and a few other pieces of scrap. Usually stuff like cable sheathing/cable splices, battery cable ends or duck decoy/fishing weights.

But I have seen to it that my family understands that my lead stash has a certain value and that I would like for it to go to another caster.

GregLaROCHE
10-02-2021, 10:39 AM
I’ve been collecting range scrap for five years now. I have a good stock of ingots, but where I collect, the lead averages on the hard side. It was great when I was shooting smokeless in rifles, but now I’m pretty much into muzzle loading and those guns prefer pure lead. I now find myself searching for pure lead, but I keep collecting the range scrap. I can’t just leave it there. I guess I’m addicted!

lightman
10-02-2021, 12:11 PM
Yes, it is an addiction!

Cosmic_Charlie
10-07-2021, 12:01 PM
I really enjoy spending time in the garage melting lead scores into ingots. Can be hard on the back though.