PDA

View Full Version : Had me some luck!

GoodOlBoy
09-25-2021, 11:04 PM
I know it ain't exactly casting or reloading for shotguns (though they WILL be reloaded once empty if I can find a recipe and some #6 non-lead shot) I had some luck today at a local wally world. Now high brass 1oz ain't my normal ride, but finding #6 20s these days is about rare as hobby horse droppings around here. Got the last two boxes they had, and at $13 a box they were cheaper than what the low/regular brass spot was marked on the shelf.

Just had to brag, and talk about something other than illness and hospitals.

God Bless!

RickinTN
09-26-2021, 10:37 AM
Good score there. Should do anything a 20 should do shy of coyotes and at short range I wouldn't bet against it. I'm curious....why non-lead shot for the reloading?
Rick

GoodOlBoy
09-28-2021, 08:23 PM
After the cancer the oncologist said handling lead would give me about 90% chance of the cancer returning and if it returned about a 97% chance it would kill me.

Richard

Frosty Boolit
10-03-2021, 02:30 PM
I had trouble finding anything other than 8 shot in 20ga for my son to squirrel hunt. I finally found a box of Remingtons so expensive at $18 a box. That'll be the only box I ever buy!

Winger Ed.
10-03-2021, 02:34 PM
You bought TWO! at $13. a box?

I've seen people gloat and flaunt their wealth before,,,,,, but this takes it to a whole new level.:kidding:

Half Dog
10-03-2021, 02:44 PM
You gotta do what you gotta do.

Butzbach
10-03-2021, 02:51 PM
Oooo purdy!

jimb16
10-03-2021, 09:44 PM
I picked up a pound of 700x yesterday for $23. I figured I got a good deal too. And I made 36#s of no.6 shot today. I've got plenty of primers and 1 oz. wads so I'm set for squirrel hunting.

6pt-sika
10-04-2021, 01:26 AM
We got five flats of NEW Remington Gun Club 12 gauge 8's at the shop last week . They never made the shelves two of us in the shop took them all . Our cost was $72.50 a flat , before the crud they'd have been $50-55 a flat tops .

GregLaROCHE
10-04-2021, 08:58 AM
These days if you have the cash to spare, get what you can when you can.

OldBearHair
10-04-2021, 09:27 AM
After the cancer the oncologist said handling lead would give me about 90% chance of the cancer returning and if it returned about a 97% chance it would kill me.

Richard

Hey Richard, if you could get the lead shot, maybe get a friend to Hi-Tec coat them and you would be protected and not have to be exposed to it.

megasupermagnum
10-04-2021, 02:06 PM
Hey Richard, if you could get the lead shot, maybe get a friend to Hi-Tec coat them and you would be protected and not have to be exposed to it.

No, you can't coat lead shot (at least not reasonably), and it does NOT protect from lead exposure in the slightest.

If the doctor says don't handle lead, then I'd do that. I have some bismuth shot I made that came out too small, but looks great. It is in the ballpark of #7, comparable to a #8 lead, if you are interested. I don't have any #6 at the moment. Rotometals has it, but is marked up quite a bit being as it is duck season. It often goes on sale for around $140 a 10 pound bag. You generally want to go up one size for bismuth though.

GoodOlBoy
10-06-2021, 07:20 AM
You bought TWO! at $13. a box?
I've seen people gloat and flaunt their wealth before,,,,,, but this takes it to a whole new level.:kidding:

Ed, I plan on prominently displaying them this holiday season, and have left instructions they are to be sealed under bulletproof glass on top of my coffin should I ever pass. :p

megasupermagnum - yep I agree. Doc says don't do it, I ain't gonna do it on this one. I appreciate it, but I'll wait and watch rotometals (been sharking them already) and am thinking if I DO get to shoot any this fall, then come spring maybe I will order some #5 bismuth, and see if I can find fiber wads, etc. I suspect that they way my health has been these boxes will still be well populated NEXT squirrel season, but one can always dream.

As for cash to spare? Not a dime. We sold some aluminum cans back on earth day, got enough for Mexican food for the family, and a couple of dollars to spare for the medical fund. Sold a couple of odds and ends here and there for side cash (someday I'll be posting reloading stuff, dunno when), and most of it went in the medical fund. Still trying to finish up writing so my publisher doesn't give up entirely (probably too late already). I don't ask for much these days. Not for me anyway. I figure these can put some meat in the freezer if I'm having a good day, otherwise I woulda left them on the shelf.

God Bless.

Richard