PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with the .41 Swiss Boolits

1jss1
09-24-2021, 10:54 PM
So i have been at this for a while, with no luck so far. I have almost wasted an entire 20pk of 8mm Lebel trying to figure this out. I am making .41 Swiss boolits, but when i press them it isn't right. I have been pressing the lead boolits in for a while, but they smash, or end up lopsided. On top of that i have just discovered that all my loads need to be 56mm long, otherwise the elevator jams with the next round. What i am trying to figure out is how to seal my .41 swiss boolit, to my cut down 38mm long brass, because if i reduce the length at all, it will be too short. Does anyone have any secrets to this?

cwtebay
09-24-2021, 11:08 PM
I see you're trying to reload for 41 Swiss, what is your method? Dies, bullets, case forming, etc?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

1jss1
09-24-2021, 11:18 PM
I cut down a 8mm lebel case to 40mm, then i file it down to 38mm, i use a die to take out the primer and size the casing, then i use a cast lead boolit, to tip it pressing with a die.

cuzinbruce
09-24-2021, 11:37 PM
An earlier thread on the subject:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?191200-41-Swiss-reloading-problems

I don't load this cartridge but are you expanding the neck to accept the bullet?

1jss1
09-24-2021, 11:48 PM
I am, its just that if i press the bullet with my die, it ends up lopsided, and even if it comes out straight, then the bullet it too short to load from the magazine.

abunaitoo
09-25-2021, 01:40 AM
I load for it.
First don't trim the cases.
Longer the better.
But the case will still be short.
This is what I did to help it feed through the tube magazine.
At the range, I found these round, black, solid, plastic disc.
I'm sure it's from a shotgun slugg, because only sluggs are allowed at the rifle range.
I hot glued the disc to the rear of the lifter.
I used only one disc, but you can stack two if your boolet is short.
Reload with the boolet seated out to the correct length.
It worked for me.

cuzinbruce
09-25-2021, 07:54 AM
The specs I found for .41 Swiss.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.41_Swiss

If the bullets are not seating properly, check the relationship between bullet diameter, the neck expander, and case neck. A micrometer would be handy if you have one. Case neck walls might be too thick. Might want to make up a dummy cartridge without powder or primer to check how it works through your rifle.