PDA

View Full Version : Lube where it ain't supposed to be

The Dove
01-11-2009, 10:18 AM
I did it again :( This time I made my lube, heated it in an old soup can, poured it into my Lubamatic II, and overfilled the thing. Now I have lube all over the outside of my lubamatic lube/sizer. Any suggestions on how to remove all that stuff? My dad used to say I could mess up an anvil! Guess he may be right!

The Dove

Boerrancher
01-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Get a plastic putty knife and start scraping. I did the same thing once about 20 years ago, to a friend of mine Lyman 450. I was all of 18 years old and my friend was in his early 50's. He handed my a plastic putty knife and said get to work. After I got as much of it scraped up as I could, he handed my a rag and a small can of mineral spirits and told me to finish the clean up. Several rags and a lot of elbow grease later I had every thing looking like I had never spilled anything. I hope this helps.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

The Dove
01-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Thank you sir. I now just wish I was 18 again so I could blame this on youth instead of having my head up my $$$. HAHA

The Dove

OLPDon
01-11-2009, 01:30 PM
First make sure your Wife and or Girlfriend is out shopping. Now sneek out her hair dryer scrape off what you can now get a roll of paper towels put a few around the base and fire up that hair dryer. Now that you have done that you now have lubed the towels and they make great fire starters or you can just toss a piece or two into the smelting pot and you now have flux.
Keep the faith.
Don
PS Don't ask how I know.

leftiye
01-11-2009, 07:04 PM
Yup, it's like driving, ye're supposed to be watching (the road). Sorry if this sounds unsympathetic (I just couldn't figger out how to make it sound better).

TAWILDCATT
01-11-2009, 09:19 PM
lub sticks are only 2 ounces.not 2 lbs.I got a hair dryer in yard sale for $1.
saves wear and tear on legs running from wifes broom.:coffee: [smilie=1:

Slingshot
01-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Well I have a old lyman 450 sizer that has been used by my Father and brother. It had a rainbow of lube inside it still when I got it. So I just took it all apart, got out an old pot boiled the water and put the sizer and miscelanious parts into boil.

All the wax melted off and when I took it out I flushed it in another pot of clean boiling water and let it air dry. The metal was hot so it evaporated fast.

Hope this helps.

Slingshot :drinks: