PDA

View Full Version : Mitutoyo Caliper Bezel

GregLaROCHE
09-23-2021, 09:24 AM
A while back I bought an old Mitutoyo caliper. I think it must be old because the bezel is yellowed and it came in a well used felt lined box. The bezel is also cracked. Can I get a replacement for it? It’s 1.2 inches in diameter. Also, what is the proper way to remove it?
Thanks

farmbif
09-23-2021, 09:45 AM
I would contact mitutoyyo or maybe if there is a local outfit that does precision instrument calibration, or even take it into Grainger, some times they are very good about stuff that has warranties and they may just give you a new one.
the dial gauges I've had I think they might use stamp press to roll metal edges to install bezel, the old starrett I had on my lathe anyway the bezel got broke it was glass, wasn't much I could do but maybe send it back to starrett but I had others and thought it not worth it, that thing was very old, maybe from 30's the lathe was from 20's
plastic ones might just be snapped into a groove.

white eagle
09-23-2021, 09:52 AM
It may be cheaper to buy a new one
when I used one daily for machine work
I saw many like you described
all still worked like they were supposed to
good luck

GregLaROCHE
09-23-2021, 10:58 AM
I have another that I normally use, so I don’t need another one. In fact, the old one works fine, but I definitely need to put on my glasses to read it. My newer one(came in a plastic box) I can normally read without glasses, as long as the light is good. I was just thinking if I could get a new bezel for twenty bucks and simply snap it on I would I would do it.

Scrounge
09-23-2021, 11:11 AM
A while back I bought an old Mitutoyo caliper. I think it must be old because the bezel is yellowed and it came in a well used felt lined box. The bezel is also cracked. Can I get a replacement for it? It’s 1.2 inches in diameter. Also, what is the proper way to remove it?
Thanks

Search brought me the bezel, which is not the crystal. MSCDirect has bezels, and probably crystals, and Amazon has the crystals, but you'll need the model number of the caliper to get the right one. The bezel is the ring the crystal is mounted in.

HTH!

Bill

GregLaROCHE
09-23-2021, 05:29 PM
Search brought me the bezel, which is not the crystal. MSCDirect has bezels, and probably crystals, and Amazon has the crystals, but you'll need the model number of the caliper to get the right one. The bezel is the ring the crystal is mounted in.

HTH!

Bill

That sounds interesting. Anyone have any ideas on how to remove the old one and replace the new one?

Mk42gunner
09-23-2021, 05:38 PM
If its not immediately obvious, it probably wasn't meant for field repair.

What about taking it to a watch repairman, if you can find one these days. Jewelers used to replace crystals on wristwatches around here.

Robert

country gent
09-23-2021, 06:19 PM
If memory serves me there is a spring clip on the back side that sets over the back plate and into a groove in the bezel, when removed the bezel and crystal lift off the top and the crystal can then be popped out or in.

imashooter2
09-23-2021, 06:36 PM
Been a long time, but as I recall it… Pull the lock screw, pop off the bezel, remove the lock ring from inside the bezel, remove the crystal, reassemble in reverse order.

mozeppa
09-23-2021, 07:22 PM
watch repair people (if you can find them) can put a new crystal in it.

ulav8r
09-23-2021, 11:02 PM
caliper repair guide at http://www.longislandindicator.com/p44.html

GregLaROCHE
09-24-2021, 01:05 AM
watch repair people (if you can find them) can put a new crystal in it.

Watch repairmen are hard to find these days. Actually, my father in-law was one, but passed a few years ago. I’m going to ask my brother in-law, if there is a crystal press with his father’s tools that he now has.

GregLaROCHE
09-24-2021, 01:06 AM
caliper repair guide at http://www.longislandindicator.com/p44.html

This is a very interesting site. Thanks.

imashooter2
09-24-2021, 01:55 AM
Watch repairmen are hard to find these days. Actually, my father in-law was one, but passed a few years ago. I’m going to ask my brother in-law, if there is a crystal press with his father’s tools that he now has.

You don’t need a crystal press as long as you still have one of your thumbs.

granville_it
09-24-2021, 02:46 AM
"This is a very interesting site"

Regards Mark

farmbif
09-24-2021, 07:31 AM
that Long Island web site is outstanding. I had no idea Starrett was having stuff made in china, what a shame, I had always had the utmost respect for that company and products,

GregLaROCHE
09-24-2021, 10:20 AM
that Long Island web site is outstanding. I had no idea Starrett was having stuff made in china, what a shame, I had always had the utmost respect for that company and products,

Just about everything is made in China today. If hostilities ever break out we’ll be SOL!

country gent
09-24-2021, 07:00 PM
My oldest set of mitoyos calipers just started acting up. Will try a new battery. These are old enough the display isnt back lit.

Mk42gunner
09-24-2021, 08:03 PM
My oldest set of mitoyos calipers just started acting up. Will try a new battery. These are old enough the display isnt back lit.
That's why I prefer dial calipers. Easy to read and they don't need a battery.

It had been almost 40 years since I messed with reading a Vernier caliper when I got dragooned into helping one of my uncles downsize, then he passed away before he could move, so I got to help finish cleaning out his house. He had several sets of Vernier calipers; all plastic unfortunately, I won't throw them away, but plastic? Really?

Robert

John Boy
09-24-2021, 08:22 PM
My Harbor Freight calibrates to 0.0002 to certified plug gauges

imashooter2
09-24-2021, 08:44 PM
That's why I prefer dial calipers. Easy to read and they don't need a battery.

It had been almost 40 years since I messed with reading a Vernier caliper when I got dragooned into helping one of my uncles downsize, then he passed away before he could move, so I got to help finish cleaning out his house. He had several sets of Vernier calipers; all plastic unfortunately, I won't throw them away, but plastic? Really?

Robert

I have an ancient Starrett vernier that I was given by the foreman at the shop I started at. Used it for about 8 months before I could afford a dial of my own. I haven’t had it out of the box in years. Your kids will throw those plastic calipers out when they settle your estate. I’d wager without one bit more use on them than when you put them on the shelf. [smilie=b:

country gent
09-25-2021, 08:55 AM
I have a set of 24" Starrett vernier calipers that have the points in them or setting trammels and dividers, That dates them. They never failed to pass certification. The life and usefulness of these tools is amazing. Even the mentioned mititoyos were probably purchased new in late 70s early 80s, so 40 years use on them.

Putting a few dollars into a caliper or other tools is a good investment.

Where a lot of calipers fail inspection is the variation between the 4 measuring surfaces, inside, outside are normally good the depth rod is okay but the fixed jaw to slide depth measurement is off.

GregLaROCHE
09-25-2021, 12:14 PM
I need to invest in a metric dial caliper. I’m tired of the digital one I have often not working because of the battery.