PDA

View Full Version : low cost scope

ebb
09-21-2021, 06:46 PM
Looking for a low cost optic 3-9 or 4-12 40mm. The Sig Sauer optics only have a 5year warranty. I have looked at Athalon and Vortex , have i missed any that are better than the others? What are your experiences with scopes in the past couple of years?

Winger Ed.
09-21-2021, 07:33 PM
I like the basic Leupold 1" tube 3x9.

They did a good job for me, and I never had buyer's remorse.

ebb
09-21-2021, 08:09 PM
Yea me too but Its getting a little too expensive for me now that i am retired.

Wild Bill 7
09-21-2021, 08:13 PM
Primary Arms has a nice and reasonable priced 3x9x40. 30mm body. Have two, one on ar and the other on a Mark 11 bolt 22lr.

Bazoo
09-21-2021, 08:14 PM
Not what you’re asking, but a used leupold on eBay might fit the bill. I been eyeing the old m8 fixed power scopes. That said, the only decent scope I have, of two, is a weaver 2.5-1 I got off eBay cheap.

Woodbridge 30-30
09-21-2021, 08:53 PM
I've got a 3x9 Vortex Diamondback (one notch up from their bargain model) a while back that I've been pretty happy with. Their warranty is hard to beat. I was torn between Vortex and Burris at the time but heard some rumors that Burris might not be long for the world.

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

farmbif
09-21-2021, 10:11 PM
I'm wondering what you mean by a low cost scope. a $50 scope or maybe something like $199.
something I found over the years is when a scope model is no longer going to be made by one of the scope companies that older model is often sold at 1/2 the original price if there are some in inventory at retailers when the new and improved model comes out.
being and investment you only want to make once sometimes its good to go with leupold or vortex just because of the outstanding reputation they have if anything ever goes wrong with your scope. you can back your truck over a vortex and send it back to them and they send you a new scope or repair it like new.
as we now know, Nikon is out of the scope market if anything goes wrong with a Nikon you picked up cheap there's probably nothing that can be done.

farmbif
09-21-2021, 10:22 PM
I sure hope rumor of Burris going belly up is wrong, where did your hear this.
I think the signature rings with the plastic inserts are one of the best for what it is

I've got a 3x9 Vortex Diamondback (one notch up from their bargain model) a while back that I've been pretty happy with. Their warranty is hard to beat. I was torn between Vortex and Burris at the time but heard some rumors that Burris might not be long for the world.

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

slohunter
09-21-2021, 11:53 PM
No laughing now but my cheap Tasco does great.

smithnframe
09-22-2021, 07:01 AM
Check out Hawke scopes!

Ed_Shot
09-22-2021, 08:45 AM
No laughing now but my cheap Tasco does great.

So do the two I've had for many years.

Froogal
09-22-2021, 09:06 AM
I recently bought a Simmons 3-9x32. About $50. I have it mounted on my Ruger PC carbine. I've not yet had the opportunity to sight it in, but so far I am impressed.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-22-2021, 09:55 AM
On the used market, it's tough to beat the Bushnell's that are Japan made, there will be a "BL" marked on it somewhere (Bausch and Lomb). I've seen 'em go for less than $20.

If I were buying new?
I'd buy a Vortex.

georgerkahn
09-22-2021, 10:02 AM
A Sig Whisky3 'scope came mounted on a Sig Nitro Air rifle I had purchased, and LOVE IT so much I purchased another one for another rifle! Not, by any means, the least expensive -- but I find the clarity, etc., awesome -- plus it sports AO -- a 'scope feature I WOULD NEVER BE WITHOUT!
My thinking re "warranty" is that 99% of any/all claims I have need be made occurred after the very first, second, or third use! And, by "five years" -- IF I saved the paperwork for a warranty claim -- I'd have no idea where it might be. ;)
Other than the Sig, I have purchased a couple of Leupold VX2s, which imho are more than worth the cost. Most name brand scopes I've looked at seem comparable. One slight regret I have had -- something you may wish to investigate -- is having illuminated reticle. I have a CenterPoint and a Leapers with this feature...and it is a nice touch for early morning/early evening hunting.
geo

MostlyLeverGuns
09-22-2021, 11:40 AM
For a 3-9x40 the Burris Fullfield II is one of the best lower cost scopes. I have 4 or 5 Burris Fullfield II's - 2-7x35, 3-9x40 and 4.5-14.5. I think they are the best bargain in scopes. $150 on Amazon.

Burnt Fingers
09-22-2021, 11:45 AM
Ya really need to let us know what you consider low cost.

To some people, it might mean $200, to others $20.

atr
09-22-2021, 01:04 PM
Mueller Hybrid....I have two and the have worked flawlessly over the past 15 years. 3-9 power and 40 mm optics, $135

https://muelleroptics.com/products/

ebb
09-22-2021, 01:22 PM
I am looking to spend between 100 and 200 for a scope. I have a half a dozen Leupolds and i like them but i am unsure if this rifle warrants a Leupold or not. Thanks for all the replies I will look at primary arms, Muller , Hawke and Burris.

Shawlerbrook
09-22-2021, 01:58 PM
You should be able to get a Leupold for your $200 budget.

444ttd
09-22-2021, 03:45 PM
3-9x leupold freedom
2-7x leupold freedom
2-7x vortex scout scope

all were under $200

Tripplebeards
09-22-2021, 04:12 PM
So do the two I've had for many years.

I bought a few of the 2.5-10 Tasco varmints for $25 ea shipped. I have a good 3000 plus pellets through my piston gun and it’s still SpotOn. I also had one on my 35 Rem for a few hundred rounds and transferee it to my CZ 452. I love my cheap tascos.

I also picked up a 30 mm Bushnell engage 1-4 illuminated red dot/ German crosshairs for $97. I haven’t mounted it yet but the glass looks great. Looks like they are out now…

https://www.natchezss.com/bushnell-engage-rifle-scope-1-4x24mm-sfp-german-4-black.html

I should have bought a couple of them.

farmbif
09-22-2021, 05:00 PM
vortex diamondback 3-9x 40 pick either deadhead bdc or v plex--in stock though amazon $199
ive got one in 2-7, its super clear, sharp and bright and with vortex guarantee its pretty hard to beat for the price

clearwater
09-23-2021, 01:59 PM
Happy with a 4x12 Redfield I bought 6 years ago. last I heard they were owned by Leupold.

FergusonTO35
09-23-2021, 02:29 PM
Burris Fullfield II or Vortex Diamondback all the way for under $200.00. That being said, the late model Bushnell Trophy is great too, I have one on my .257 Roberts. You can sometimes get them on Fleabay as overstocks for under $100.00.

dverna
09-24-2021, 12:10 AM
I have scopes from $75 to $2000. For “fun” shooting and a range toy, many of the $150-200 options others have given you are all you need. If going on a hunting rifle, I would not go with a scope under $300. My last hunting rifle scope was a Votex Viper...about $425.

Btw, warranties are not much use on a hunting scope that fails on a hunt. Like I said...on a range toy it is no big deal if you are out of action until it is replaced.

Also, on a range toy, go with a fixed power. Less stuff to go wrong.

robg
09-24-2021, 07:55 AM
i put an AGS air rifle scope 3x9x40 on my win 357 mag 20 years ago still going strong .i think it was about £30.

ebb
09-24-2021, 08:51 AM
Leopold doesn't have any scopes any more that are under $300. I bought a Leopold AR scope for the wife's rifle and it was$200 or under but hey have discontented all of those scopes.

ebb
09-24-2021, 09:03 AM
Ive got some cash left on a bass pro gift card, and I need to use it up, so i think a trip to the bass Pro shop and a Burris or Vortex if they have either in stock.

dverna
09-24-2021, 09:47 AM
Ive got some cash left on a bass pro gift card, and I need to use it up, so i think a trip to the bass Pro shop and a Burris or Vortex if they have either in stock.

Given the choice, I would pay a bit more for the Vortex. I have a number of their products and all have been very good. Plus they have a great warranty.

Tripplebeards
09-25-2021, 10:50 PM
Leopold doesn't have any scopes any more that are under $300. I bought a Leopold AR scope for the wife's rifle and it was$200 or under but hey have discontented all of those scopes.

And the only scopes they offer now that have turret cap covers are their cheap, price leader line. All the rest have exposed turrets with the CDS type dials that can be bumped or moved. No thanks.

JLF
10-04-2021, 09:52 PM
You should be able to get a Leupold for your $200 budget.
Those Leupold Freedom scopes withstand heavy recoil?

echo154
10-05-2021, 01:39 AM
Might keep an eye out on Bear Basin....especially the bargain cave......have good deals on demo, blemished or factory refurbed. Good warranty too.....I have two Nikon 4x4 that are bomb proof!

Mr Peabody
10-14-2021, 11:13 PM
For a 3-9x40 the Burris Fullfield II is one of the best lower cost scopes. I have 4 or 5 Burris Fullfield II's - 2-7x35, 3-9x40 and 4.5-14.5. I think they are the best bargain in scopes. $150 on Amazon.
I'm agreeing with him

centershot
10-15-2021, 11:15 AM
Check out Hawke scopes!

Yes! Excellent equipment! Their website states they are suitable for ALL calibers and have a lifetime warranty. Last May I bought a Weirauch 95 air rifle, a spring-piston action, to hunt small game with. If you know airguns you know that hunting-class springers are tough on scopes. the Hawke Vantage IR was the model recommended for this rifle, I chose the 3-9x model. The IR series have illuminated reticles made of etched glass. They are tougher than the more common wire reticles which is why they are recommended for springers. The glass is beautiful, crystal clear, as clean as any Leupold I've seen. I have another one coming for my '06. Oh, and, they are very reasonably priced, My 3-9x was $179.95. Check them out!

https://us.hawkeoptics.com/

https://www.airgundepot.com/hawke-optics.html

https://www.airgundepot.com/hawke-optics-vantage-ir-3-9x40-ao-rifle-scope.html

FergusonTO35
10-15-2021, 11:34 AM
The late model Bushnell Trophy is really good, I have one on my .257 Roberts. You can get them on clearance for under a c-note. I have a little Hawke 2-7x32 on one of my .223 bolt guns and it is really good for the money.

murf205
10-18-2021, 09:47 PM
I'm agreeing with him

Count me in on that as well. I have put my several Burris scopes through some pretty demanding stuff and they hold zero with a death grip. I have a Vortex and it is clear and bright with good "click" adjustments but I have not used it enough to judge the ruggedness. I love the older Leupold 3x9's but I am not to wild about the friction adjustments on them.

Adam20
10-19-2021, 09:16 PM
last lower priced one i bought was burris 3x9x40 for about $150, good scope for the price point. I also have a fast fire red dot that glass cracked, warranty replaced it in 10 days no questions asked no silly paperwork at all, I did pay the shipping to send broken one back . If anybody wonders how there warranty is.

I bought several of the Leupold vx-1 and vx-2 at around $200 each and happy with them, but they dont make those models any longer

Norske
10-23-2021, 10:59 AM
The last scopes I've bought have been Burris Droptines, Hawke, and Bushnell. Illuminated reticles, if possible.

Lloyd Smale
10-24-2021, 07:52 AM
ive got 4 sig whiskeys and there every bit the scope a vx1 or anything in the 200 dollar and under range show me. You can get one for just over a 100 bucks if you shop.

Cast10
10-25-2021, 10:07 AM
Check Natchez for Weaver deals. Older scopes, some lifetime warranty and replaced with higher priced models.
Bought 3 Nitrex line 3-9 years ago. I even called Weaver tech support to verify before I purchased. Great scopes!

savagetactical
10-25-2021, 01:28 PM
I recently purchased a Burris Fullfield II 2-10x42 and cost was my primary motivator . I think it was $160 delivered , not especially crazy about it considering the fact like the Vortex and Primary Arms offerings all of the Burris scopes now seem to be made in Asia . I just couldn't justify spending $499 for a Leupold VX-III HD this close to the holidays. The reason I purchased the Burris is the outstanding customer service they have. The last time I had to use the Burris warranty turn around was 7 days on the repair and shipping it back to me .

Lloyd Smale
10-27-2021, 06:09 AM
Check Natchez for Weaver deals. Older scopes, some lifetime warranty and replaced with higher priced models.
Bought 3 Nitrex line 3-9 years ago. I even called Weaver tech support to verify before I purchased. Great scopes!

thats one good thing about all the mid priced scope manufactures. They have a heck of a warrantee. Id sure love to buy a new truck with a no bs anything goes lifetime warrantee. Even if you smash it. Only scope manufacture thats given me grief is Bushnell.

10-30-2021, 08:44 AM
Redfield is now owned by Academy Sports.

Natchezss.Com has decent prices on a few scopes. Check the Bushnell Nitro 30mm tube variables.

Tripplebeards
10-30-2021, 09:32 AM
Those Leupold Freedom scopes withstand heavy recoil?

The old vx1 2-7 held up on my 375 RUM just fine. It was $179 new at the time. I have three of them and they are ALL brighter and clearer then the more expensive vx3i’s that sell for mid $500’s. I just sent back a vx3i for the 4th an final time with tracking issues this time. First three times back was for dirt stuck to the crosshairs that came NIB, wrong crosshairs installed when I received it back, third time back it had a long piece of copper wire inside the scope going across the crosshairs, fourth time it looked fine but wouldn’t track. This scope replaced an old friction vx11 I bought new around 90’ that I had tracking issues with and the lens coating wore off. Leupold sent me back a VX5HD the 5th time around. It will sit in the box till hunting season next year before I test it. I’ve already googled VX5HD issues and there are a lot of issues customers are having with the $1000 optic. You would think for that kind of money it would be bullet proof. Use to be a big fan of Leupold but imo there are way better optics out there for less money. Haven’t decided if I’ll keep the 5 series or sell it off for another brand. Just because it has a lifetime warranty doesn’t mean I want to have to use it ….or keep using it. All my older leupolds accept for my friction adjustment optic work great. It’s the last couple of years Leupold quality had fallen by the wayside. Their glass quality has never been to notch imo. I have Nikon pro staff optics that have clearer and brighter than my $1600 leupold MK 1V’s. I know leupold went into a price increase. I believe it’s from adding the CDS dials to just about all their scopes. I’m sure the CDS system will be gone in a season or two to come since their scopes don’t, and never have, track reliable.

I’m holding my breath to see if midway USA gets in a 2.5-10 viper for the $249 price they currently have it “listed” for. I’m sure the price will change when the scope is on stock. They had it for $399 with a pre order option. Three days later when I went over order it they dropped it to $249 and listed out of stock but click the “ notify” button.

popper
10-30-2021, 10:49 AM
Just got my bushnell trophy xlt 3-9 back (lifetime warranty), non repairable ( turrets don't move the reticle) from Vista. Basically a store credit of 22$ for a new 120$ scope. New ones made in S Korea, old one made in Philippines. Lifetime 'warranty' appears to be until it breaks. Yes, it had a unlimited lifetime warranty!! I already replaced it with a Vortex 4-12, appears to be same quality, not the greatest but will work. Don't know where the break point is but consider anything in the under 200$ as a throw-away. I dropped it off at the KC store (20$) to ship it, only 2 cars in the lot at the facility. Basically, Vista Outdoors will NOT honor the warranty anymore, just a warning.

Tripplebeards
10-31-2021, 11:30 AM
Just got my bushnell trophy xlt 3-9 back (lifetime warranty), non repairable ( turrets don't move the reticle) from Vista. Basically a store credit of 22$ for a new 120$ scope. New ones made in S Korea, old one made in Philippines. Lifetime 'warranty' appears to be until it breaks. Yes, it had a unlimited lifetime warranty!! I already replaced it with a Vortex 4-12, appears to be same quality, not the greatest but will work. Don't know where the break point is but consider anything in the under 200$ as a throw-away. I dropped it off at the KC store (20$) to ship it, only 2 cars in the lot at the facility. Basically, Vista Outdoors will NOT honor the warranty anymore, just a warning.

That’s weird, I was sent a replacement Tasco scope for a 2.5-10 varminter last year. They sent me a a 6-24 sportsman by accident first and I was told to keep it and they sent me another varminter. I had an old golden antler that was bought in 1995, way before bushnell bought them out. I was told they would either fix or repair it. I received the old scope back saying the repair cost exceeded the repair. I called and was told that the scope was not warranted even though I gave them the serial number and date before I sent it in. I had to grind on them a little since they told me to send it in and I paid almost $15 for shipping out of pocket. They ended up telling me to toss out the scope and I basically got a choice of a few scopes to pick from. I ended up with a world class 4-12. No where near the glass quality of the old 4x German cross hair golden antler. It will go on one of my plinking rimfires or my sporter lee enfield. I have to say that sportsman they discontinued is crystal clear all the way to 24x! The 2.5-10 varmint scope is the same way. Every once in a while they make a great cheap scope. I just only use them on plinkers, rimfires, and air rifles. Not going to trust an economy scope for a big game hunt.

If it were me I’d call them back and raise some heck. They will end up sending a replacement optic.

Texas by God
11-01-2021, 11:52 PM
I paid $115 for the new Academy Redfield 3x9x40 scope. I like it so far, very clear and passes the box test.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211102/07185bac563de8a906f3fa762affd46f.jpg

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Tripplebeards
11-02-2021, 04:30 PM
I need to try a Redfield one of these days. I remember the ads in outdoor life and field and stream back in the 70’s. Always thought they looked classy with the gloss finish.

ebb
11-02-2021, 05:00 PM
I wound up buying a vortex. When i got to the bass pro to pick a scope the counter guy told me he set up a rifle for a guy to go elk hunting with and the airlines wrecked it. He gut called Vortex from the terminal and sent them a picture of the damaged scope and Vortex sent a new scope to the outfitters and it was waiting on him. The vortex was super clear and seems to track well. The little ar it is on got rained on and had to wait till my next range trip to get zeroed but its sighted in and shoots very well.

popper
11-04-2021, 11:45 AM
I replaced a bushnell 3x9 (anther story) with Vortex 4x12. Noticed that off 'center' @12, target gets fuzzy. Most just use the center of sight pic so it still works OK, just goes out of focus in the periphery. Difference between high $ lens and low$.
PS: I just sent an email to Vista, unhappy they would offer a new scope to me for their wholesale price. So much for their lifetime warranty.

Tripplebeards
11-05-2021, 07:14 PM
My next scope will probably be a Vortex viper 2.5-10. Waiting to see if they ever come in at midway discounted from $400 to $249. Just got my $399 refund check in the mail from Nikon. Had a NIB monarch 2.5-10 with a stripped turret screw. Nikon refunded me since they could not repair or replace it.

Lloyd Smale
11-12-2021, 09:08 AM

they did the same to me. I bought two of the 1.4x4.5s a couple years ago and mounted one on my 44 carbine and it spit the front lenses out on the 3rd shot. put the second one on it and after about 20 rounds i started missing. So i resighted it and it shot a 10 inch group for the next 3 shots. Sent them both back and they gave me a 50 dollar credit that my local gunshop wouldnt take. They are to scopes what lyman is to reloading gear.