PDA

View Full Version : Buy new or buy pre-owned or buy vintage?

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-21-2021, 10:56 AM
I rarely make these kinds of posts, but I been thinking a lot lately about just this topic, due to a friend of mine.

I'll start.
In general I almost never buy anything new. Now when I got into this hobby, I've bought a lot of new molds and still buying new molds. That is the exception, But it seems everything else, going back 30+ years when I became an adult, I've always looked for a deal on used stuff (Tools, Cars, House, appliances, you name it). One great example, In 1993 when I bought the house (built in 1920) that I now live in, I also bought a used old Olive-green (1970s) clothes washing machine and am still using it, Using it today in fact.

Now my friend, He is same age as me (Gen X'er), he will only buy new. I've never seen him buy a used anything. He makes good money, but is always broke. It just drives me crazy, but it shouldn't, because it's his deal, not mine...but still...

So, I'm curious, is there anyone here that buy only new?

farmbif
09-21-2021, 11:07 AM
I prefer old ugly guns, and old ugly machines, but in our show away society and the way things have been manufactured depending on what it is new is the best most economical and sometimes only way to go. a baldor motor from years past can last well into the future most time only needing new bearings and maybe a capacitor or two. but a household appliance from 25 years ago may have given up the ghost long ago.

foesgth
09-21-2021, 11:44 AM
Like you I buy experienced stuff. I have never owned a new car. I even got my wife used! She came with two second hand kids.

rbuck351
09-21-2021, 12:05 PM
Used if I can find what I want. Some things, like TVs, scopes and computers I buy new because of the advanced tech.

Finster101
09-21-2021, 12:07 PM
I'm a mixed bag. If I can get a deal on something I want used I'll buy it, but it has to be really clean. I've bought a couple of things only to realize I bought someone else's problem. I buy new vehicles but I don't have to have a new one every 4 or 5 years. I buy what I like of the best quality I can afford and keep it for a long time. Perhaps your friend who is always broke is a fellow that has to have the latest and greatest even though what he has may not be paid for and still works well. I know some folks like that. They are not my problem.

Winger Ed.
09-21-2021, 12:18 PM
My Dad would say, "It's easy to find cheap stuff cheap. It takes some effort to find good stuff cheap'.
With that, I'm a mixed bag too.
I've known a few people that always had to have the newest and best of everything.
And yeah, they're worse than broke. They are always in debt up to their eyeballs.

I had a uncle that as time changed, and his fortunes improved, he only bought new stuff when he needed or wanted something.
One time he said, "I've had old stuff all my life. I want some new things for a change".
But paying for it was not a problem.

Finster101
09-21-2021, 12:36 PM
"I had a uncle that as time changed, and his fortunes improved, he only bought new stuff when he needed or wanted something.
One time he said, "I've had old stuff all my life. I want some new things for a change".
But paying for it was not a problem."

This sounds like something my Dad would say. I never saw him in a pair of jeans till I was 23 and just got out of the Army. He said he wore overalls growing up that were sometimes more patch than overall he wouldn't wear them when he could afford something else. He and my Mom worked hard for what they had and fortunately later in life he could have pretty much what ever he wanted but having simple taste and wants that really was not much. I wish I were more like him but wanting cool stuff helps keep me motivated.

dverna
09-21-2021, 12:54 PM
It is a mix for me. Price and condition matter. On some items buying used does not make sense. I bought a new LS tractor for less than the cost of used JD or Kubota....I was not paying for a name or color.

I have two F150's one bought new and one used. Doubt I will ever buy another new vehicle.

Still cannot wrap my head around buying old mil-surp bolt actions when very good new guns cost less, shoot better and come in whatever caliber I want.

Geezer in NH
09-21-2021, 01:12 PM
Used when I can find what I need priced right.

Petander
09-21-2021, 01:53 PM
To me, new does not mean good quality any more.

375supermag
09-21-2021, 01:55 PM
Hi...
It all depends on the product.
I like to buy used guns but also buy new.
I generally buy cars a couple of years old depending on the mileage and condition, but have also bought new vehicles.
Electronics always new.
The house I live in now, I had built. The previous homes were all used.

I never buy previously used food.

Froogal
09-21-2021, 02:06 PM

BINGO!!! Everything new today is overloaded with electronic doo-dads and gizmos. I refuse to buy any of that stuff.

James Wisner
09-21-2021, 03:06 PM
It all depends.
We had our house built in 2007, I do the upkeep on it yet for as long as I am able to.

The Frig died at 62 months, the second one died at 65 months, will see what this new one does.

I drive a 2004 Ford F250, we bought it new, it just rolled 100,000 miles on it.

I make reproduction replacement parts for old guns, its is amazing what we sell, and what I get asked to make

I do buy new, but also if something used that is in good shape comes along I will buy it.

JW

444ttd
09-21-2021, 03:51 PM
i'm an x'er too!!!! we are the last generation of picking up the old and worn out junk and turning it into 'new' junk that will outlast us. when i was young, dad went to work and mom stayed home. divorce was rare, went to church on saturday night or sunday morning, had our butts smacked when we were bad, you know when the street light comes on its time to go home.......now mom and dad work, there is a 50% chance for divorce, no church, no discipline, home? whats that?...

i am mix and match. i like the old guns, wood and blue steel. i hate "plastic". i like reloading and most of my stuff was new. truck, used. utv, i bought it new. the drier, washer, stove and fridge have been bought new. tools are mix and match. rifle stocks too. house is built in 1931, so its used.

i guess it depends on if "it" is good.

Froogal
09-21-2021, 04:35 PM
I have 1 tractor that is one year older than I, and 2 tractors that are 11 years older. One tractor was not running when I bought it, the other 2 were running very poorly. I made all 3 of them run like new, and I'm sure they will all be still running long after I am gone. I am currently 70 years old.

woodbutcher
09-21-2021, 04:52 PM
[smilie=s: My current washer and dryer are Maytag brand.Bought as a matched pair by a friend for herself.About 10 years ago she decided to get a new set.She gave me the old set.They are now about 30 years old,The only repairs that have been done to either of them,I replaced the dryer door safety switch just before the ChiCom crud hit.Cost:$30.00
Not bad for 30 years of use.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

country gent
09-21-2021, 04:56 PM
I am a mix on new or used, I will look at new prices and then the adds online sites and local auction houses or the item. O also on a machine tool not above buying and fixing or rebuilding.

What I really enjoy is hand me downs from family. A few days ago I set up the boring head Grandpa made in my mill and bored several holes. I then deburred and broke the edges with files he had made. Ive got tools Dad made also. When Im using them the "empty chair" in the shop is filled with their memories and spirit. I still have the 1/2" drill chuck with 1/2" shank Dad made me when I started in the trade, and the Federal .0001 test indicator he gave me. It has been used so long there is a flat worn on the ball

lightman
09-21-2021, 04:59 PM
I'm a mixed bag. I have bought new and used guns. New and used reloading and casting equipment. New and used cars and trucks. If its used it has to look well cared for.

screwcutter
09-21-2021, 05:19 PM
I buy new, I like to watch it fall apart from the beginning!

bedbugbilly
09-21-2021, 05:28 PM
Kind of a redundant question . . .I mean , , , , we ALL got into reloading to "save money" . . . so it just makes sense to buy "used" to save money> Ha ha ha!

Personally, I'm a "mixed bag" - most of my mold that I have purchased over the last 55+ years have bee n used - but I have purchased new molds as I like the boolit designs - my presses were all used except one - dies are a mature - same with guns, tools, etc. Many times, the factor for buying used is because there is nothing wrong with the item and if is older - the quality usually seems better than what is made today.

Preacher Jim
09-21-2021, 06:55 PM
Why buy new if you can find a good used one and save money is my thought. Vintage matches me so i don't care how old as long as it works well. most of my molds are 50 years old or more so are my sizers are well used old stuff. Dies i buy the best made and many new because my calibers are newer.

Butzbach
09-21-2021, 07:35 PM
I had a Battery Commander that would not use a pencil that he had not seen sharpened for the first time. Of course he was spending the government's money. It takes a lot of eggs to make and omelet.

Rockzilla
09-21-2021, 07:49 PM
It really depends what it is, prefer old stuff, "most" cases built better. Easier to work on,
most things today are made with the "throw it away" Mentality, difficult to tear apart, basically
assemble once..never tear apart.

Take an old Muscle car pop the hood...all motor, a few hoses...simple and easy, like the old
mechanics used to listen to the motor and could tell you what was wrong.

I don't "chase technology" you will go broke. Don't buy the latest / greatest, it may be today
but tomorrow not so much.

Still have all my old vintage "high end" audio equipment. Vacuum tubes, R2R, Cassette Decks
most is worth more than what I paid for it.

Old Calipers, dial gauges, some machinist tools, electrical tools, old power tools, blacksmith tools
hand tools, hit / miss engines, etc.

New stuff once in a while, depends what it is.

-Rock

varmintpopper
09-21-2021, 10:06 PM
Like you I buy experienced stuff. I have never owned a new car. I even got my wife used! She came with two second hand kids.

Foesgth, Send Me all Your reloading supplies or I'm gonna tell Your wife what You said. Har Har

Good Shooting

Lindy

Dekota56
09-22-2021, 12:07 AM
I like old and the new. I like going to the flea markets and spend the day to see what kind of deal I can get on things I could use or deals on old rifles. I also can go in to the gun shop and buy that new firearm.
I enjoy mix even trading for good deals.

slohunter
09-22-2021, 12:12 AM
Bought a new truck when I retired, first new thing I ever owned and the last!

richhodg66
09-22-2021, 07:16 AM
I have never had a new car or truck. Have bought a couple for the wife over the years.

You mentioned a washing machine, about ten years ago, bought a new set up, front loader (bad idea) water conserving, very quiet. Thing cause several problems, started leaking a few months ago and I'd had enough, went to Sears in town and bought the simplest looking top loader they had, looked like it jumped out of the '70s, but I think it's gonna hold up a lot better.

Older, simpler stuff is often just better.

Butzbach
09-22-2021, 08:39 AM
Bought a new truck when I retired, first new thing I ever owned and the last!

I usually bought used from family or folks I knew and then Carmax. I did buy a new 2000 Tundra which was a good decision. We’ve got two Carmax cars right now.

myg30
09-22-2021, 08:40 AM
I have a friend like the OP who has to buy the latest and greatest of everything that comes out.
Seems he sell them with in a few months and buys the next newest. Crazy I guess but to each their own.
I’m also a mixed guy. I like saving money reloading so all used gear. Firearms mixed bag.
Small things for the home we buy new, but if parts were still available I’d still have most of my old kitchen appliances. Air fryer and microwave are new. ( got to make the wife happy)!

Mike

Wayne Smith
09-22-2021, 08:42 AM
I bouight most of my reloading equipment used - but that was before the current craziness with prices. This is generally stuff that doesn't wear out, a little lubrication and it's back to usefulness. I have several sets of 310/TrueLine dies and two and a half TrueLine presses. I have a Brown Bair and a Grizzley Bair that I bought used, and a Hollywood Sr.ut a bought used. All of the above in regular use.

Most of my molds were purchased new - but a few were used and work just as well as long as they were well cared for. Guns are a mixed bag - most used but a couple new - Uberti and Pietta copies and my 41Colt were all purchased new.

Handloader109
09-22-2021, 08:45 AM
All Depends. I've purchased three vehicles in my life that were new. And was gifted a new Ford Ranger in 1993. New TR-7 senior year of high school in 1976. New Kia for my wife in 2001. New F-250 in 1997. The numerous vehicles in between and since these have been used in one form or another. I think 11 others in my 47 years of driving. The Kia made it to 100,000 when I sold it, the F-250, to 197,000 when I sold it and the Ranger I had over 250,000 on that little 4 cylinder when I sold it. Should have bought two more of those. I purchase cash my last truck which I still have F150 215,000 miles and still going, a miata which I killed about this time last year that had over 240,000 miles on it, and my Mazda cz5 2016 model I bought last year used with 25,000 miles on it. If you buy new, you pay for a lot of new smell that disipates at about the same time as the value. I bought that like new mazda at roughly $5,000 less than a new one. And at 25,000 miles it is new.
Now guns, I mainly buy new, but not all of them.
For appliances in house, new, but I have no issue if I ran across used at the time I need it. (not Refridges)
I've got the computer I'm using now that was a refurbished, I refurbed my old laser printer, my lasers are all new.
But I've got two 1940 era Radial arm saws that I refurbished and use in my shop along with a 1970's radial arm drill press that I saved and put back together and a 1970s era wood lathe.
Oh, also a 1960s powermatic planer that I put back together and use.
I've refurbished a table saw from the 40s and a band saw that I have sold in the past. Fun taking an old tool and making it work like new.

New is good when it was originally a very good item and is worth rebuilding.

Bent Ramrod
09-22-2021, 11:02 AM
It depends. I know from nothing about auto repair or electronics, so unless I know the previous owner and usage, and it’s cheep, I buy new. And use it till it crumbles to dust.

The exception to this is that once I get the Version 3 or 5 or whatever, I resist all frantic e-blandishments to get the NEW!! Version 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, whatever; with all the exciting new Apps I don’t need and the extra complications attendant to using the stuff I do want to use.

Other things I rarely buy new, if used and in good condition is available. Older stuff is generally better made, easier on the eyes and, unless abused, at least as useful as new stuff.

I find that bench vises are particularly bad in this regard. A good pull on the lever of an old vise holds the part in a death grip. On a new vise (of the same cost as the old, used one), I can put my whole weight on the lever and the part will twist or sink in the jaws at the first file stroke or whatever.

GregLaROCHE
09-22-2021, 11:42 AM
In my lifetime I’ve had good and bad experiences buying used as well as good and bad buying new. You normally have to put more time and effort into finding something used in good condition and there’s normally more risk of problems. However, used stuff can be a good deal if you know what you’re buying. I recently bought a Lee mold on the internet. It looked like new. The Boolits it cast were too small for me to use. Not close to what it said on the box. I was casting pure lead too, so it couldn’t have been the alloy. I waited too long to try it, so I couldn’t send it back. It wasn’t too expensive and I have bought used Lee molds in the past that worked fine. Pay your money and take your chances.

alamogunr
09-22-2021, 01:14 PM
For the last 25 years or so, I've bought new vehicles and appliances. The cars have all been kept at least 10 years. A 1998 F150 I kept for 15 years. Two Toyota Avalons were 10 and 11 years respectively. I've had the present Tundra 8 years and expect it will last me the rest of my life unless it gets totaled. The present Avalon will have had 5 years come end of December. If I last another 5 years, I'll get another new one(maybe).

Most of my reloading/casting equipment has been used. I trust reloaders/casters for the most part and haven't been disappointed. Of course the mil-surps have been used. In most cases they have worked out better than I expected.

gbrown
09-22-2021, 01:16 PM
I've bought new and old. Just depends on what you are talking about. Guns, knives, cars, reloading equipment, dies, molds, ad nauseum. I have old H-G, Saeco, Ideal, Lyman molds that I just love. I have purchased molds from NOE, Lee, Mihec, and some other vendors on this forum. It just depends on what it is, price, need, condition and availability of funds. I have presses that are new and used. 310 sets, all used. But I enjoy them all. Some new things I've seen, wouldn't waste a penny on, A lot of bells and whistles on them just waiting for failure.

higgins
09-22-2021, 04:30 PM
Read an article on a business website recently that farmers are paying high prices for midsize used tractors that have no computerized systems. Seems the new computerized tractors in the similar HP range are not as reliable, cost like crazy new, and can only be worked on by the dealer who has the computer analysis equipment. Makes sense to me. The guy who cuts hay on my place, who I know could afford new tractors, uses older JD and Case tractors with his hay equipment.

A friend whose brothers are big time grain farmers in South Dakota says they search the farm sales for good used older tractors that suit their needs too, and would only buy new as a last resort. A few years ago they had to pay a hight price for a used JD combine, but have gotten good service from it since.

BigAlofPa.
09-22-2021, 05:52 PM
I buy both new and used. But always look for the best deal.

LaPoint
09-22-2021, 07:01 PM
I buy mostly used although the last two cars my wife bought were new. We do buy new food and toiletries. LOL! The vast majority of everything else is used, even some clothes. Our house was also built in the early 1920s, All of my presses, lube sizers and powder measures were used. I have bought a few new dies and other trinkets though. I like the experienced stuff, usually depreciated and broken in.

Bmi48219
09-23-2021, 03:54 AM
Mixed for me. IMO Most new consumer products are tech-loaded. Great until it stops working and you need a PhD to fix it. Modern appliances & electronics are designed to fail and be too expensive to repair so you are coerced into buying another newer model. Automobiles are computers on wheels nowadays. I have to admit they seem to last longer but heaven help your bank account if something goes wrong after the warranty expires. I’ll buy a new vehicle and keep it 4-5 years. Mainly because I don’t want the wife breaking down while driving alone. Tools last forever, most of mine are 35-50 years old. I purchased 75% of my firearms used, all good prices and in near new condition. I usually buy fishing gear new but my two ‘luckiest’ most productive rods were used ($5 for one, $25 for the other). New or used doesn’t matter much, as long as it keeps working.

Cosmic_Charlie
09-23-2021, 06:02 AM
Over the past year or so I bought a K38, a Super Blackhawk and a 24-3. All used and all great shooters.

smithnframe
09-23-2021, 06:16 AM
I buy new occasionally…….but I’m always on the hunt for vintage military and used vintage S&W N frame revolvers, Sharps rifles etc etc etc!

JimB..
09-23-2021, 07:28 AM
Mixed bag for me. With used guns I do end up with other people’s problems more often than I’d like. They are simple machines, and the fixes are rarely difficult, but the lack of honesty is disappointing. It’s gotten to where I mostly won’t buy a used gun that the seller says they have never fired.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-23-2021, 01:41 PM
Read an article on a business website recently that farmers are paying high prices for midsize used tractors that have no computerized systems. Seems the new computerized tractors in the similar HP range are not as reliable, cost like crazy new, and can only be worked on by the dealer who has the computer analysis equipment. Makes sense to me. The guy who cuts hay on my place, who I know could afford new tractors, uses older JD and Case tractors with his hay equipment.

A friend whose brothers are big time grain farmers in South Dakota says they search the farm sales for good used older tractors that suit their needs too, and would only buy new as a last resort. A few years ago they had to pay a hight price for a used JD combine, but have gotten good service from it since.

My best friend's son (Brent) is a auto-mechanic and works for an independant shop, they also work on tractors. Brent stumbled into a low hours IH 1086 for cheap, as it was in a fire. Wires were gone and some hydraulic lines, but engine/trans internals were OK. He's been working on it for a couple years in his spare time, with the help of his more experienced co-workers. He had a goal of how much he'd spend on parts for it. He recently told me he is still on budget. He also said, they seem to be going higher and higher $ at auctions, just as your business website says. Brent figures it'll be worth twice of his investment...not including his own hours, but I think he's doing it for the learning, more than the $.

sharps4590
09-23-2021, 02:19 PM
Baby Boomer here. We didn't have two nickels to rub together growing up so the value of work and getting the biggest bang for your buck was a way of life....and still is, except for the work. I fully retired about 2 years ago.

We're comfortable and can afford what we want new but neither of us do that. Ironically, there is no way I'd spend what my late father-in-law did on the 2017 Mercedes we inherited, which he bought new. But, I'd spend that much on the right vintage roadster at the drop of a hat. There isn't a new firearm made today I'd buy but, again, I'll spend several thousand on the right pre-WWII or WWI rifle. Electronics, computers and the like....meh...I wouldn't have any of it if it wasn't almost a necessity today. Even so, I stay at the most basic level and the "newest, latest, greatest" is utterly meaningless to me. Guitars, (I've been playing for 58 years), again, I can afford the best but have fallen in love with the mid grade Gretsch guitars. Good value for the dollar and, I don't know that I play well enough to justify an $8,000 guitar. Appliances, the wife buys new. We built our house 17 years ago, I contracted it, having been an electrician and worked construction 43 years I put a lot of sweat equity in it by doing a lot myself, so did my wife. Consequently we got a lot of bang for our buck and installed the best quality stuff we could find along with a lot of nice amenities.

Basically, if we really want it, at this stage in our lives, we can afford it, new, used or otherwise....but the upbringing is always there, niggling away in the back of our heads and we'll often pass....but there's always that exception.

Ed K
09-24-2021, 11:03 AM
For me the best deals are older items of a mechanical nature (read higher quality in general) that were bought by the previous owner with high expectations but somehow were not used or used very little. This stuff can be hard to find:

- A few years back I bought a well-maintained 1995 Dodge Ram 2500 p/u with a 12V Cummins, manual trans and well under 100K miles for $5K
- Earlier this year I bought a very high quality lathe with tooling purchased by the original owner in the late 70's with good intentions ... it was never used!

Yes, these deals are hard to find but satisfying when you do.

Sometimes I buy new: 2002 Kubota, 70HP and could probably get every penny back on it. However I'm not "blessed" - I shell out money on property taxes, groceries and electric bills like most everyone else :roll:

Cosmic_Charlie
09-24-2021, 02:49 PM
New cars are the worst. If you buy a new seven series Beemer and keep it for six years it will have lost a thousand a month in value. Our last four cars have been used.

shooterg
09-26-2021, 03:08 PM
Clothing/shoes I buy new (Made in USA so I don't have many change of clothes !) . If I don't get 300,000 miles out of a used vehicle picked up (usually from first owner) I feel cheated . And I have a lot of "pre-owned" reloading supplies. Heck, even the cats are somebody else's drop offs . Got to own up to buying the wife 2 new cars, but the last one only needed a head gasket at 254,000 and she wouldn't wait for me to fix it - nixed anything new, but got her a clean one owner with 32,000 and too danged much electronic stuff - I absolutely hate the "TV dash" !

faraim
09-26-2021, 06:03 PM
I will buy something used if it has been taken care of. Used not abused. I've found out the hard way that if I buy the latter, by the time I've bought the parts to fix it, I have more money in it than it'll ever be worth.

smoked turkey
09-26-2021, 11:00 PM
I like to buy used in good to excellent condition. That goes for almost anything I buy. Lately it has not worked too good for me because things I like are selling too high. So I've passed on several things and therefore I'm not buying any big ticket items. I'm also a "fixer", so in general I'm keeping my stuff running as best I can. Generally I think the older stuff is better than the new.

Harter66
09-27-2021, 01:56 AM
I paid $500 for a 15 yr old explorer if I was more motivated I'd buy the clutch cylinder set , but it's hard to do that when you've driven it 65,000 miles and it had 265,000 on it when i bought it and threw a set of tires on it . 3 of those 4 are still not with lots of tread left . I didn't do so well on the 85' F250 6.9 diesel 4 yr ago but I think it was on its 4th trip around the odometer .

I think I've had 3 cars in 40 years of licensed driving with under 100,000 on them and I've had a payment on just 4 of probably 20 or so most of which I drove well over 100,000 miles and only a couple under 40,000 .

I would say of 40+ die sets ,65 moulds , 3 pots , 6 metallic presses , 6 shot shell presses , trimmers (2 bench mounts , Lyman , and Lee pilot types) and associated tools there probably aren't 50 pieces I bought new . Of the moulds there are 3 that were made about the time Remington discontinued their 25,30&32 and just before the 357 became a thing . Of the communal arms of the family it's a 2/3 for those over 50 years old and those newer . Only 15% >< were purchased new by anyone in the family much less me . That includes Dad's Dad's 1957 M70 06' bought new in 1958 , obviously on its 2nd pass down not new .

I have 15-16 moulds I personally bought new and it's sure nice to have them , it's also nice to score an as new 4c Lyman with handles or an 8c H&G with handles that needs some cosmetic attention for $50 too .

I find nothing wrong with the Ohaus M3s . I recently bought my first lube sizer ..... Herters assembled it out of Lyman's left over 45 parts , all but 1 H&I are pre owned .

For me it's more about the economics of buying a quality tool . I'll buy it new , but if it's available for half or less used and in good condition I'm on it . Sometimes I'm just a Scrooge it took me 5 yr to admit there was a better way to lube and size than my thumb and Lee push throughs then it took 7 years to find one for sale at a price I wanted to pay ......I also bought a set of RCBS 264 WM a Forster bench rest sizer and inline seater dies , 2 sets of 6.5×50 Japanese , a set 6.5-257 Roberts AI , a set of 257 Roberts , a set of 45 mag , 2 sets of steel 45 Colts while I searched show tables and sale boards for most of 10 years and ended up with a set of Herters 7.7 Japanese dies . I forgot the set of CH 32 Rem dies that also came to me before the 7.7 dies after I got the rifle .

I guess I'm a used buyer over all .

jonp
09-27-2021, 05:36 PM
Wife and I are well into 6 figures of income but having grown up into hardscrabble families with grandparents from the great depression we still can a garden, buy used and make due. Habits are hard to break but i think they will come usefull in the not to distant future. Darn socks, fix that old car, weld a mower deck, make your own soap etc.

Those of us on this sight that can food, hunt, forage, fix whats broke and pinch a dime till it screams will make out ok. The rest if the government dependent mob not so much

rking22
09-27-2021, 07:07 PM
I buy new molds on occasion, but used in a heartbeat from here. I wouldn’t touch a mold from fleabay with a 10 foot pole. I buy used guns, almost nothing new I have any interest in, last new was the 44 special GP100. Computer, well when I had one it was always used and 1 version outdated. Autos are a mix, mostly used but I did buy a 18 Sonata new. It will be my last new automobile. Way too much unnecessary and aggravating eletronical stuff on the newer ones. My daily driver is a 97 s10 I paid 150$ for 2 years ago, about 36,000 miles ago. Appliances are bought new, happy wife…. Aggravating that a kitchen gas range needs a computer and touch screen, really!!!! Guess what, top oven won’t light, thinks it’s already at temp, gotta get working on that. I spent 40 years working on tech (CNC machine tools and robotics), I can fix the stuff but really, and I mean REALLY resent having to do it. Throwaway mentality on everything now, I’ll pass. Dove hunted Friday with a M17 Remington from 1929, still works perfectly and looks beautiful too boot! Yep, I bought it used :)

1Papalote
09-28-2021, 11:29 AM
I keep one newer vehicle for eventless traveling, aka reliable transportation. Don't like getting towed. The others are a 93 Ford exploder (ranch ride), and 02 Merc Marquis (wife's car, grocery getter). If given the opportunity, I'll buy older working appliances, problem guns, etc.
For me, Walmart chainsaws, air compressors and similar items are best left at Walmart. I'll buy new quality items in these catagories.

WRideout
09-28-2021, 03:21 PM

If she reads this, you will be sleeping on the couch.
Wayne

Idaho45guy
09-28-2021, 05:30 PM
New cars are the worst. If you buy a new seven series Beemer and keep it for six years it will have lost a thousand a month in value. Our last four cars have been used.

Normally, but in these literally crazy times, it's not always the case.

I paid $36,000 for a brand new Toyota 4Runner in 2019. Last oil change, the dealer offered me $42,000 for it. I told him if he could sell me a used Tundra similar to miles and condition as my 4Runner, then I would do it. He couldn't even come close.

Buddy up the street has a 90 Jeep Grand Wagoneer that needs restored. He's wanting around $1000 for it. Thinking about offering a trade for a rifle he likes of mine.

But, even new, those Grand Wagoneers were unreliable.

jonp
09-30-2021, 03:45 PM

Im glad you said that and not me. I was going to ask for your last words but i think we have them already[smilie=1:

zarrinvz24
09-30-2021, 03:51 PM

Seems that these days, it usually means the opposite.

rbuck351
10-01-2021, 11:08 AM
I prefer to buy older quality stuff that is distressed and cheap and then rebuild it with the exception of some things like electronics and optics.
About ten years ago I got a 2001 Chevy Cavalier for some mechanical work on another car. It had 85,000 miles and a rod knocking. A $200 craigs list motor and I'm still driving it at 220,000 miles.