PDA

View Full Version : Tree Project

Mal Paso
09-19-2021, 01:35 PM
I have a lot of storm damaged Cedar, I wanted to see what I could do with it and whether it was good enough to sell. I chainsaw milled the wood the week before Memorial Day and kept it stickered and covered until I planed it last month. It's been hot here but there was very little end checking. The wood did not cup much either. The project is a pantry for the kitchen and is glued using biscuits rather than dowels. No nails yet but I'm not a purist. Still have to make the shelves, hang the doors and seal it. The doors are 12" wide planks. The planer is a 13 inch Grizzly spiral.

Minerat
09-19-2021, 01:39 PM
I'll bet it smells wonderful. Nice job too.

sparky45
09-19-2021, 02:26 PM
Is that Western Red? Looks a lot like Pine, but I like both. Well done.

Edward
09-19-2021, 02:28 PM
No moths in your cupboards :bigsmyl2:

09-19-2021, 03:24 PM
That is awesome, you can handload the forest.[emoji39]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Winger Ed.
09-19-2021, 03:35 PM
Way cool.
You'd need to check into how its dried and all that, but yeah---- its very valuable wood.
Even the sawdust from it that people put in cloth bags to store with clothes.

In the Texas Hill Country, before steel fence posts came along-
they'd use the limbs that were too small for boards as fence posts.

ShooterAZ
09-19-2021, 03:46 PM
Pic #2 from left is "Live Edge" siding! The lumberyards get huge bucks for that stuff. Cedar is very stable and very desirable for a lot of different things.

Mal Paso
09-19-2021, 05:23 PM
Pic #2 from left is "Live Edge" siding! The lumberyards get huge bucks for that stuff. Cedar is very stable and very desirable for a lot of different things.

The wood on top in pic 2 is Oak that I milled at the same time. I used a piece of Oak with live edges for the shelf in the closet. I milled all the wood just over an inch thick. The Cedar dried fairly flat and I got 3/4" boards after planing off the saw marks. The Oak dried with more of a ripple, I got mostly 5/8 boards but it is much stronger wood.

The 49x21x42H cabinet with doors and shelves was 1 18 inch log of Western Red Cedar 12.5 feet long.

Those folks who worry over the amount wood turned to sawdust milling would totally freak at the amount of chips produced by the planer. Literally cubic yards. LOL

country gent
09-19-2021, 05:41 PM
Great job.

I wouldn't worry about the chips, You took what most would have thrown away for fire wood and made beautiful useful things.

CastingFool
09-19-2021, 05:45 PM
Looks very nice! I'm in the process of making a dresser, out of solid oak. There was a huge oak tree in our front yard that needed to come down. I had the trunk sawn into boards, back in 2004. That's the wood I'm using.

country gent
09-19-2021, 10:06 PM
Your lucky, None of the sawmills around here will cut a "yard or Fence row" tree here. to many chains nails and or fence.

Texas by God
09-20-2021, 12:08 AM
Way cool.
You'd need to check into how its dried and all that, but yeah---- its very valuable wood.
Even the sawdust from it that people put in cloth bags to store with clothes.

In the Texas Hill Country, before steel fence posts came along-
they'd use the limbs that were too small for boards as fence posts.There are still "Cedar Hackers" working every day around Possum Kingdom. We learned early on to avoid the watering holes that they frequented!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

richhodg66
09-20-2021, 06:42 AM
Very nice! You do good work.

My next door neighbor where we lived when we were in town had bought an atachement for his chain saw to render down a bunch of big cedar longs the county had cut down and put in a big brush pile to burn, last I checked, he had a bunch of big cedar trunks drying in his back yard. I need to talk to him and see how that's going.

Baltimoreed
09-20-2021, 02:34 PM
Nice work. Cedar is pretty wood. I’ve been working with cedar pies, planing them down. Haven’t built anything with them yet. Overbuilt a router sled. This is before my bigger router arrived.

Mal Paso
09-21-2021, 03:16 PM
Interesting, the outside convolutions look like the Cypress we have around here but the wood is much lighter. If they would hold up at a 2 inch cut they could be table tops. Ventana Inn used to have bed and occasional tables made from solid rounds of Cypress. The ends were precision cut square, the sides were sandblasted and the tops polished and sealed. The bed tables were about 24 inches tall.

pworley1
09-21-2021, 03:43 PM
Nice work.

Alferd Packer
09-25-2021, 12:45 AM
reading this
I keep smelling cedar aroma
nice

jmorris
09-30-2021, 10:51 PM
Cedar is very stable and very desirable for a lot of different things.

As long as it’s not sucking all the water away from your hardwood trees.

A very nice way to use a dead one though, great work!

Tonto
10-02-2021, 08:53 AM
Nice to see firewood turned into something spectacular

Mal Paso
10-04-2021, 08:38 PM
It could use another coat of Varathane but it's mostly done. There are 208 holes for shelf adjustment. With all the knots the doors aren't flat but the hinges do a good job adjusting and I wanted character. 8 shelves ate up the last of the cedar. Not much left from a 12 1/2 foot log.