PDA

View Full Version : Bees wax filtering sillies needed

Lksdmachine
09-19-2021, 12:23 PM
I was lucky enough to snag about 25#’s of semi filtered bees wax. It’s in various shaped slabs and chucks with the bottom layer of the pieces more concentrated with darker debris. I’d like to filter this batch into much cleaner portions and mold them into smaller ingots for later use.

What’s the process that works the best with hot wax handling/filtering that doesn’t clog up the filter/screen as the wax cools?

I’m certain there are some pro’s here who have cleaned a lot of wax successfully and efficiently without me fumble around doing my experimenting.

Suppose to read “skills”…..not sillies!!!

CastingFool
09-19-2021, 01:11 PM
Put the wax chunks in an old tshirt, knot it up and lower it into a pan and heat it up. When the wax is melted, pull the tshirt out,straight up, and all the junk should stay in the tshirt.

Winger Ed.
09-19-2021, 01:29 PM
Do a quickie search for 'filtering beeswax'.

A bunch of articles pop right up.

Minerat
09-19-2021, 01:56 PM
I put the raw wax in a pan of boiling water until melted then let is harden. The crud stays below the wax and you can scrape it off. I did this 3 times then went the t-shirt route. Save the wax laden t shirts and crud material and use it for fire starter.

Oh and dump the water wherever you don't mind having bees. I made the mistake and did it in the wifes flowerbed. We had a mass influx of ground bees and I was not very popular till they finally left when we redid the driveway and flower bed. (2 years)

Another thing use a pan that you will never need because you will not get a wax coating off it. I used an old stock pot I got from goodwill, and large tomato sauce cans, the pots second purpose is collecting dust in the shop. The cans became lube making pots or a mould oven. Googlefu is your friend for info on doing it.

HATCH
09-19-2021, 02:25 PM
https://backyardbeekeeping.iamcountryside.com/honey-beeswax/steps-for-filtering-beeswax/

barrabruce
09-20-2021, 05:52 AM
Plus 1 with mine rat.
I just heat the water/wax, bee legs and other things till the wax melts.
Sir a bit then let let cool harden.
Scrape off bottom layer.
You should have pure bees wax.

If you heat it to boiling then it kills some of it’s properties.

A tapered mouth pot makes it easier to get the wax brick out.

Enjoy.

rancher1913
09-20-2021, 05:58 AM
panty hose works same as shirt, wife had some old ones we used and then throw them away

Chill Wills
09-20-2021, 09:49 AM
panty hose works same as shirt, wife had some old ones we used and then throw them away
I would hope so.... :lol::kidding:

sorry....

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-20-2021, 10:53 AM
Filtering it is a MESSY job.
I helped my bee keeper friend build a Solar melter for his Bee's cappings. The Sun and Gravity does the work. When it solidifies, just scrape the junk off the bottom of the beeswax slab.

Lksdmachine
09-24-2021, 10:55 AM
Thanks fellas, lots of great intel here. Now that the southern weather has broken a bit, I can try some of these techniques out and get my beloved stash rendered in nice yellow bricks!