PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

BJK
09-18-2021, 03:59 PM
I require another red dot sight. A have a few Holosun hs515cm sights and I like them a lot. So yesterday I shopped around and they are all selling for the same price everywhere. Except one place "Honor something or other" has them for $70 less. I put one in my cart and to pay for it they require Zelle (I don't even know what that is), or Paypal. There were other options that didn't interest me. So I contacted them for their Paypal contact and was asked to send the $ "friends and family". Huge red flags went up. I thanked them and said no thanks. Then bought one where I have buyer protection for the $70 higher price. Of course I would have liked to save the $70, who wouldn't?

So what would you have done? It was an awfully good price! (Good bait?)

Winger Ed.
09-18-2021, 04:08 PM
I'd be cautious too.

Saving $70 sounds great............ At least until you get ripped off.

And with internet sales sites---- there's A BUNCH!! of that going on.

BigAlofPa.
09-18-2021, 04:26 PM
It's best to stick with well known places these days. There is a lot of rip off sites pop'n up recently.

Mk42gunner
09-18-2021, 04:58 PM
Zelle is through Bank of America, I think not for sure.

Personally, if a business doesn't take standard forms of payment (even if it is a credit card) that is a big red flag to me. I don't need to remember how to use seventeen different forms of payment just to shop from home.

Robert

Brokenbear
09-18-2021, 05:24 PM
Walk away ...no.. RUN away ..and ditto to all the above

Bear

jim147
09-18-2021, 05:48 PM
Try primary arms, they run sales all the time.

BJK
09-18-2021, 06:40 PM
I did look at Primary Arms I can't remember why I passed them by. Maybe out of stock? But everyone has the same price on it, even they did. I did a lot of 'net shopping and I just can't remember every store I looked at. But it's a done now. I have one coming in.

Joe504
09-18-2021, 06:48 PM
That is a scam, 100%
It's becoming pretty common, unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Finster101
09-18-2021, 07:19 PM
I remember a lot of bootleg Chinese Bushnell sights a while back. I go with a reliable source.

ACC
09-18-2021, 07:44 PM
I ordered a book about internet scams. I still haven't gotten it yet!:razz:

ACC

jonp
09-19-2021, 07:03 AM
Zelle is a legit payment option but......anytime you are shopping for an item and find prices in the same ballpark several places then run across a sight that has a giant discount it's most likely a scam unless it's a place you know and has the item on discount or clearance especially if they are a business and specify Paypal F&F. Remember the thread here of someone that paid for a, I think, DeWalt circular saw or something like that at a site that had it for 25% of the price elsewhere.

I'm also pretty sure that Paypal's fraud thing will not reimburse you if you send money F&F so that seller is pretty cagey to ask for money like that.

jonp
09-19-2021, 07:05 AM
I did look at Primary Arms I can't remember why I passed them by. Maybe out of stock? But everyone has the same price on it, even they did. I did a lot of 'net shopping and I just can't remember every store I looked at. But it's a done now. I have one coming in.

PA has pretty good stuff for a decent price. Not top shelf but not bad, I have a scope from them and it's a value pretty much in line for the price I paid or maybe a little better.

William Yanda
09-19-2021, 07:17 AM
I ordered a book about internet scams. I still haven't gotten it yet!:razz:

ACC

Did you mean to use purple font?

GhostHawk
09-19-2021, 08:45 AM
I stick with Amazon these days for most things. Yes I could save some money going elsewhere. But is it worth the hassle? For me no, your answer may vary.

The exception is my fishing line I buy from Ebay. 4 strand braided spectra I can get 1000 yards for what I'd pay locally for 100 yards of spiderwire or similar brand name. Plus I like it better, I like the color, its limp, easy to work with. And it has held up very very well for my river fishing.

Caught a 35 Lb plus Channel cat this june on it. Not bad for 20 lb test line.

MrWolf
09-19-2021, 08:59 AM
A lot of the fake manufacturers sites use Zelle and have no option for credit cards. I know there is a knockoff Sig site which looks very legit until you get to the payment and the fact they have a lot of stuff in stock. I called Sig and they knew about them but nothing they could do. Said at least post a warning that those sites are not you on your home page. Be careful.

bedbugbilly
09-19-2021, 09:49 AM
I have often used PayPal to pay a "business" for a product, but have never had a "business" request "F & F". If they are a "business" and accept PP, then the PP firs should be figured into the profit margin of the product they are selling - you should not have to give your buyer protection away.

While a $70 savings might sound like a "good deal" - is it a "good deal" to have no buyer protection and run the risk that the people you are dealing with are a sham operation and you end up losing the price you paid? There are way too many shams being run by those that are very willing to do anything illegal to take another's money.

It pays in the long run to deal with reputable companies - you did what most folks with good common sense would fo. When you get what you ordered, use it, enjoy it and don't don't double guess about whether you did the right thing or not - life is too short to fret about such things. Enjoy!

Burnt Fingers
09-19-2021, 11:23 AM
I stick with Amazon these days for most things. Yes I could save some money going elsewhere. But is it worth the hassle? For me no, your answer may vary.

The exception is my fishing line I buy from Ebay. 4 strand braided spectra I can get 1000 yards for what I'd pay locally for 100 yards of spiderwire or similar brand name. Plus I like it better, I like the color, its limp, easy to work with. And it has held up very very well for my river fishing.

Caught a 35 Lb plus Channel cat this june on it. Not bad for 20 lb test line.

If you can't land a 35 lb plus fish on 20 lb test line then you need to take some fishing lessons.

Back when fishing was good and I lived in the PNW I used nothing but 3 lb test for steelhead fishing. It wasn't uncommon to land 15 lb fish on 3 lb test line.

Bmi48219
09-19-2021, 06:06 PM
Any online retailer that won’t take a CC is suspect to me. Zelle is a warning. No way to contest the charge or get your money back.

I’m also in the market for a red dot. I have a Vortex Strikefire on one Carbine. Pretty happy with it for the price. The dot size could be smaller IMO, and I have a general disdain for batteries that may or may not be dead when needed.
Now I’m looking for something in the $200 to $300 range for another pistol caliber carbine. I see some of the Sig Romeo models have solar auxiliary charging and ‘shake to wake’ power on features. Anybody have experience with the Romeo with solar red dots?

Winger Ed.
09-19-2021, 06:56 PM
Back when fishing was good and I lived in the PNW I used nothing but 3 lb test for steelhead fishing. It wasn't uncommon to land 15 lb fish on 3 lb test line.

There's some club I think in Florida that uses only 20 lb. line.
The fella may have had a couple miles of it on a Penn International reel, and fought all day, but their club record on 20 lb.
is something like a 8-900 pound shark.

Finster101
09-19-2021, 08:18 PM
Any online retailer that won’t take a CC is suspect to me. Zelle is a warning. No way to contest the charge or get your money back.

I’m also in the market for a red dot. I have a Vortex Strikefire on one Carbine. Pretty happy with it for the price. The dot size could be smaller IMO, and I have a general disdain for batteries that may or may not be dead when needed.
Now I’m looking for something in the $200 to $300 range for another pistol caliber carbine. I see some of the Sig Romeo models have solar auxiliary charging and ‘shake to wake’ power on features. Anybody have experience with the Romeo with solar red dots?

I got one of the Romeo's recently but have not mounted it on anything yet. I bought it based on some comments on the forum. From what little I have played with it out of the box I think I will like it. I also have a couple of the Bushnell TRS 25's and have been happy with those as well. One is about three years old now and I have yet to replace the battery in it.

BJK
09-19-2021, 11:16 PM
The Holosun (hs515cm) I bought is all of that and mil' spec'. I've used one for years in competition and many thousands of rounds fired and it's worked fine. But it's not my first or even my second of these sights. I like them a lot or I wouldn't have so many of them. Since I'm ignorant about the SIG Romeo sights I can't make a comparison.

I can tell you that I have a buddy who shoots competition with me and he has had his optic quit at least twice while he was shooting a stage that I witnessed. My solar powered optic simply can't unless something inside goes caddywumpus.

Fishman
09-20-2021, 12:54 PM
I have the Sig Romeo 5, and have used it for about a year on an AR. I really like it so far for its intended purpose. Palmetto State armory has been running them on sale for $119 lately.

09-20-2021, 01:29 PM
Another member has a payment instruction via "Zel". Seems like a scam.

Bmi48219
09-20-2021, 09:31 PM
Caught this bull shark a few years back on 30 lb braid and a chicken rig. We were looking for snapper on a reef 90 feet down. The captain estimated it at 10 or 11 feet which would have put it around 1,000 lbs. A few months later the guest speaker at our monthly fishing club meeting was a charter captain that specializes in surf fishing for big sharks. He said it would have been a record. All I know is I never want to go through that hour again. Way to out of shape for that kind of action.

firefly1957
09-25-2021, 08:08 AM
You did good to steer clear I do the same if my suspicions are risen .

Geezer in NH
10-03-2021, 03:29 PM
When I would have to ask I surely would not DO IT!

Much safer. Rule 1 there are no freebies, they dwell on greed.