PDA

View Full Version : Hurts to see my cherished everday use books called vintage

Brokenbear
09-16-2021, 10:33 PM
I think the title says it all ..man I'm getting old I guess ..I enjoy an early morning cup of coffee and one of my "vintage" manuals ..just picking a caliber ..looking at the penciled in notes ..remembering where that particular worked up load downed and elk ..or the handgun load that i downed my first pistol antelope (I sure remember the prickly cactus I got into crawling to get the shot!) ..it just goes on and on

And I'm still able to do it is a blessing ..rolling more loads and making more memories ...

I sure hope the young folks coming on can have the same chances

Be safe everyone and have a great up and coming season!

Bear

HumptyDumpty
09-19-2021, 03:43 AM
My first reloading manual is barley 10 years old, and already the binding is falling apart. I'd blame it on being a paperback, but I have numerous paperbacks from 30-70+ years of age, and they are deteriorating much slower. That being said, my oldest hard-cover is over 200 years old, so it definitely makes a difference.

John Boy
09-20-2021, 06:07 PM
My Grant’s manual has more page markers than a city has traffic lights

762sultan
09-20-2021, 06:15 PM
I must be the same age as you are. When I began loading in 1966 an older fellow at the rifle club said" So you are going to roll your own?" I thought that was a novel way to state it. Don't very often hear that anymore. Brings back a lot of good memories of those older gents that have passed on.

uscra112
09-25-2021, 10:16 PM
Ditto the motorcycles of my mis-spent youth. Heck, bikes I sold NEW from my Honda shop in the '70s are now vintage. My BSAs that were vintage then are now antiques. I still think of the Hondas as "new models". Ditto my last remaining BMW, an R75/7. Modern Beemers are science fiction to me.

More to the point, my 1990(?) copy of Barnes is worn and grubby from probably a thousand times I opened it with unwashed hands. Dad's IMR reloading manual that I relied on for years finally fell to pieces. It was not printed on acid-free paper.

Jedman
10-02-2021, 08:38 PM
289581I canít tell you how many hours I have spent studying single shot actions looking at this. Itís got a little wear and tear.

Jedman

GregLaROCHE
10-03-2021, 07:43 AM
So are individuals the same age or older considered vintage?

sghart3578
10-15-2021, 10:19 PM
It's like the first time I heard one of my favorite songs on the "Oldie's" station.

Cold slap in the face.

swingingblock2520
10-16-2021, 02:48 PM
I have granddads wildcatting books,I still reference P.o Ackley’s “Handbook for shooters&reloaders” both volumes from the 60’s,Home gun care&repair by Ackley 1969,pocket manual shooters&reloaders Ackley 1964,woodchucks&woodchuck rifles by Charlie Singer 1951 1st ed,wildcat cartridges vol 1 by Kenny Waters to name a few. I enjoy the old books and manuals. Gives me a connection to my pops and I keep his energy alive when I wildcat.