PDA

View Full Version : Hurts to see my cherished everday use books called vintage

Brokenbear
09-16-2021, 10:33 PM
I think the title says it all ..man I'm getting old I guess ..I enjoy an early morning cup of coffee and one of my "vintage" manuals ..just picking a caliber ..looking at the penciled in notes ..remembering where that particular worked up load downed and elk ..or the handgun load that i downed my first pistol antelope (I sure remember the prickly cactus I got into crawling to get the shot!) ..it just goes on and on

And I'm still able to do it is a blessing ..rolling more loads and making more memories ...

I sure hope the young folks coming on can have the same chances

Be safe everyone and have a great up and coming season!

Bear

HumptyDumpty
09-19-2021, 03:43 AM
My first reloading manual is barley 10 years old, and already the binding is falling apart. I'd blame it on being a paperback, but I have numerous paperbacks from 30-70+ years of age, and they are deteriorating much slower. That being said, my oldest hard-cover is over 200 years old, so it definitely makes a difference.

John Boy
09-20-2021, 06:07 PM
My Grant’s manual has more page markers than a city has traffic lights

762sultan
09-20-2021, 06:15 PM
I must be the same age as you are. When I began loading in 1966 an older fellow at the rifle club said" So you are going to roll your own?" I thought that was a novel way to state it. Don't very often hear that anymore. Brings back a lot of good memories of those older gents that have passed on.

uscra112
09-25-2021, 10:16 PM
Ditto the motorcycles of my mis-spent youth. Heck, bikes I sold NEW from my Honda shop in the '70s are now vintage. My BSAs that were vintage then are now antiques. I still think of the Hondas as "new models". Ditto my last remaining BMW, an R75/7. Modern Beemers are science fiction to me.

More to the point, my 1990(?) copy of Barnes is worn and grubby from probably a thousand times I opened it with unwashed hands. Dad's IMR reloading manual that I relied on for years finally fell to pieces. It was not printed on acid-free paper.

Jedman
10-02-2021, 08:38 PM
289581I can’t tell you how many hours I have spent studying single shot actions looking at this. It’s got a little wear and tear.

Jedman

GregLaROCHE
10-03-2021, 07:43 AM
So are individuals the same age or older considered vintage?

sghart3578
10-15-2021, 10:19 PM
It's like the first time I heard one of my favorite songs on the "Oldie's" station.

Cold slap in the face.

swingingblock2520
10-16-2021, 02:48 PM
I have granddads wildcatting books,I still reference P.o Ackley’s “Handbook for shooters&reloaders” both volumes from the 60’s,Home gun care&repair by Ackley 1969,pocket manual shooters&reloaders Ackley 1964,woodchucks&woodchuck rifles by Charlie Singer 1951 1st ed,wildcat cartridges vol 1 by Kenny Waters to name a few. I enjoy the old books and manuals. Gives me a connection to my pops and I keep his energy alive when I wildcat.

jem102
09-02-2022, 11:00 AM
It was 1962, I was 11 years old, using a Lyman #41 manual and True Line Jr. to load for my grandfathers model 94 in .32 Special...

I believe I have it right from the Frank Sinatra song; "Now I look at my life as aged vintage wine form old wood kegs, now it flows sweet and clear, it was a very good year"

uscra112
09-02-2022, 12:14 PM
My gripe is that, now that I've learned to appreciate life, I've got so little of it left!

JSnover
09-03-2022, 06:45 AM
Don't let it bother you, "vintage" is almost always used in a positive way. 'Vintage' anything may not always command a higher price but it always generates more interest.

atr
09-03-2022, 10:12 AM
I'm still using my old 60's and 70's vintage manuals. And I've got some very old Lyman manuals with pictures of the many different mold shapes they used to offer. That manual also contains load suggestions.
Lots of notes in the margins and of course the pages are getting loose in their bindings.
Getting old myself.
atr