PDA

View Full Version : Uberti rolling block pistol?

beagle74
09-16-2021, 05:35 PM
I just got a chance to shoot a very nice Uberti rolling block pistol today in .357. I had never seen one before and it shot very well. I am no stranger to single shots, and they don't scare me at all. This fella wants to sell it to me... It's got deer season written all over it, but I only hunt waterfowl anymore. Any idea what they go for? It is in very good shape, yet you can tell it's been shot. Thanks. Oh, and does anyone know how well they hold up over time?

Mk42gunner
09-16-2021, 09:49 PM
I don't remember ever seeing one. I did want one of their little rolling block rifles in .22 Hornet when I couldn't afford one, then they more or less quit making them.

Absolutely no idea what its worth, but I think it could be a lot of fun.

Robert

1Hawkeye
09-16-2021, 11:23 PM
The lgs had one back in may or june it was in great shape with 399.99 on it and it lasted about a week.

gunarea
09-17-2021, 06:26 AM
Hey beagle74
I have and shoot one regularly. Mine was the very last one imported into the states. It does not hold up to 357 mag very well. Parts take a long time to get and are proprietary to the pistol. Parts you do get, may require special fitting. After shooting it for over ten years, I can vouch for obtainable accuracy. I have written about my trials and tribulations with the Uberti rolling block pistol. I love/hate, it. They do not come along very often! Uberti also makes a similar action in a rifle. Shooting mild 38s will extend parts life dramatically. Everything about it is Uberti metric equivalent and not quite like anything else. Ask what you want, I know it inside and out.
Roy

beagle74
09-17-2021, 07:23 PM
I appreciate your knowledge in this area. With that said, I think I'll pass on this gun. I really don't need another project, and am generally not fond of machinery that doesn't hold up well. That's too bad, really. Neat little gun. If you are interested, I can try to get you two together if you are looking for another.

gunarea
09-18-2021, 07:57 AM
Hey beagle74
Thank you, NO. The only reason I have put up with the frustration of this aggravating little pistol is, it is a gift from friends which have since passed. Although it is now -MOA accurate, I would not recommend anyone get one for more than display. There is another person in our shooting group that shoots one of these. He has two! Still he struggles to keep one operational. Glad to have helped you avoid this situation.
Roy

beagle74
09-18-2021, 12:22 PM
That is too bad for such a cool little platform. Is it just this repro that is tough to keep running, or is the older action just not made for todays hot stuff?

1Hawkeye
09-18-2021, 03:53 PM
That is too bad for such a cool little platform. Is it just this repro that is tough to keep running, or is the older action just not made for todays hot stuff?

Its not the hot stuff just the soft italian steel and so so quality control of the time.

6string
09-22-2021, 06:42 AM
Is the Uberti rolling block pistol the same as the old Navy Arms rolling block pistol that came out in the 1980s?
I remember that Navy Arms briefly offered a silhouette version in 30-30, with a 12" (?) barrel back around the same time.
It didn't last long, but always intrigued me!

1Hawkeye
09-22-2021, 11:20 AM
Yep that's the one.

6string
10-02-2021, 10:38 PM
I really wanted one of those silhouette versions decades ago!
Al Georg, noted gunsmith and occasional gunwriter, built a couple single shot pistols out of old Remington rolling blocks. One was in 30 Carbine, another was in 257 Roberts (I think....).
Anyhow, he got a friendly visit from the ATF. Somehow he managed to have those "grandfathered" in.
Surprised that people aren't doing similar things if a newly made rolling block pistol is available?