PDA

View Full Version : Price increase!

John D
01-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Just came from Midsouth Shooters site. They're increasing their pricing as Jan 16th. I'm sure the others will follow. So, if anyone needs supplies, now is the time.

Also on the 16th, the HAZ-MAT fee is increasing to $22.50!

Here we go!!!

Boerrancher
01-11-2009, 12:52 AM
I was told that about 4 months ago that after the first of the year, there would be about a 20% price increase. I guess my source was right. I know that Graf's has already upped the price on their 1 lb cans of powder. 3 months ago I was buying IMR powders for $18 a pound, now they are a bit over $22 a pound. I don't have to worry about shipping or Hazmat as I pick my stuff up from Mid Way and Graf's, but I don't like price increases, esp. since I am on a very fixed income.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

S.R.Custom
01-11-2009, 01:30 AM
Not the swooftest of moves given people's attitudes toward the economy. (Ask Chrysler how that's working out for them.)

In the next month or so, I expect I'll be seeing lots of "sale" flyers in the mail... ;)

Boerrancher
01-11-2009, 10:01 AM
I know where there is a little gun shop at a couple of towns up the Highway. I will be going through there tomorrow and checking out there prices. The last time I was in there, about a month ago, they were selling IMR powders for $16 a pound. If they haven't jacked up their prices, I am going to buy all of the IMR Powders that I use that they have in stock. If the price is the same I am cleaning them out.

Joe

JIMinPHX
01-11-2009, 10:23 AM
The price of gas here in Phoenix went up about $0.30/gal this past week. The spot price of lead went from $0.37 a few weeks ago to $0.54 yesterday. My local grocery store went up about 20% over the past month. Prices are going up my friends.

A few months ago, China cut back from a 60-hour workweek to a 40-hour workweek & at the same time imposed an 18% export duty. I think that the days of cheap Chinese goods are drawing to a close. I think that we are about to feel the pain from having let too much of our manufacturing base go overseas. We are going to have to start making our own goods again & it's going to be tough because our infrastructure is gone.

klcarroll
01-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Jim;

I think you have hit the proverbial nail on the head!!

Kent

P.S. .....That Heinlein quote has always been one of my favorites!

TAWILDCATT
01-11-2009, 08:37 PM
I dont think we will have manufacturing back unless the goody good shoes understand that there eviormentle laws and the gov taxes are killing business.
its easyier to order from foreign receive product and sell than to go thru all the tax hassles.:coffee: [smilie=1:

Hardcast416taylor
01-12-2009, 04:09 PM
I just got off the phone with Natchez Shooters Supply. The HazMat went into effect for them Jan. 1, 09 to $22.50. They had limited Hodgon powders with no idea when more was comingand the prices on what they have is up. Alliant powder was same listed price with a fair supply. IMR powder was picked over with no idea of next shipment.. Salesman said they ordered a quantity of .223 loaded ammo and was told they may recieve it in June or July! We be livin` in interesting times! :violin: :confused: Robert

buck1
01-12-2009, 06:50 PM
More than one company has priced itself out of business. Gun related stuff is going nuts in price.

atr
01-12-2009, 06:58 PM
I've never seen prices go DOWN,,,,
The only thing I've seen go down is my standard of living.

Hip's Ax
01-12-2009, 07:44 PM
There is a price increase every January in all the reloading supply houses and this has been true for as long as I've been paying attention.

If I need Match Kings I buy them in December.

JohnH
01-12-2009, 09:04 PM
Some price increases are nothing more than gouging. I was in the Bass Pro Shop in Birmingham today and they have 100 packs of primers priced at $4.99 while the price for 1000's was 34.99 (There were no 1000's on the shelf... DUH!) Wally World here is selling 100 packs at 3.29 and 1000's for 32.99. www.wideners.com still has CCI standard large rifle listed at 24.99. What gives?

While the baitfish have been swarming as a result of the Obama scare, the sharks have been quitely circling and now we are going to see a real feeding frenzy as the sharks up the ante. I was working a gun shop in Athens. Ga. during the Brady Bill /AWB in the winter of 1993-94 and saw this first hand. While the primer manufactuers were not increasing prices (refer to the Speer #13 page 38 "Rumors, Rumors") I watched as our store owner increased pricing according to his availability. They drove primer prices from $11.00 to $24.00 all the while their charges never changed. While prices finally fell back to 18.00 or so per 1000, they never returned to the pre-scare level of 11.00.

This year we have seen pricing go through the roof. Many times products and commodities doubled and nearly tripled in price inside six months. We have watched as oil has gone form about $80 a barrel to $145 a barrel to $35 a barrel a couple of weeks ago. I've seen eggs go from $0.89 to $2.19. Milk? It was and remains higher than a gallon of gas. What did we see happen with metal pricing?

These price increases have nothing to do with supply and demand but with greedy people being greedy. I don't have an assault weapon, nor ammo to feed it; and I'm not about to pay $1200+ for a firearm that was $700 4 months ago. If the day comes that I need an assault weapon, I figure there'll be lots of them laying around, many full auto to boot. I might even luck out on an M40 :)

jhrosier
01-12-2009, 10:28 PM
The thing that should worry everyone is not that prices are going up, but that the value of the dollar is declining rapidly. Where do you suppose Uncle Sugar is getting the loot to pay for all of the bailouts, new social programs, and war expenses? If we were taxed another 25% there would be a revolt right now, but the Govt. can print money at will, reducing the value of every dollar that you hold. The only people that will come out ahead in this mess are the poor because they have no money to be devalued.

Jack

Heavy lead
01-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Jack, you are dead nuts on sir. Essentially they did raise taxes because reckless printing of money is no different from raising taxes, essentially worse because it devalues all of our money we currently have or anything we have that could trade money for. The CPI index that will come out Friday will show the first decrease since 1955, a sure sign of DEFLATION. Problem is that printing money like mad to keep us afloat now is creating a future catastrophe if and when the economy picks up, we will have runaway inflation ala 1979. Truth is anyone raising their prices now is simply trying to bank a little money. The Cabela's, Gander Mountains and their ilk will not make it through this recession/depression we are in currently, they are running way to fat and are not lean enough to make it. The crazy consumer driven society we have had over the last 60 years is over, it is truly the end of an era and people have a lot of rude awakenings coming in the near future, including us casters, handloaders, shooters, and hunters. Primers, powder and such, even though raw materials and labor costs generally are down will continue to increase for awhile simply as a reaction on the demand side of the equation. Basically don't support the highway robbers, and stock up. Also I can tell you if you and yours are going to borrow any money for anything do it now. Interest rates are low, may get slightly lower, but when the economy does pick up the I word will be bantered about, when that happens we will see double digit mortgage rates just as in the late 70's and 80's.
Hang on boys, we're in for a ride.
BTW I am not a doomsdayer, I intend to continue to prosper thought this. Sometimes I get taken as being negative, not so, just realistic. Good times are here now, but challenging as heck.

Down South
01-12-2009, 10:55 PM
.I think that it's just another reloading, component scare due to out new president elect. I’ve been down this road before. Luckily for me I completely stocked up during the summer months when prices we somewhat better and availability was good. We’ve got a lot of folks out there running scared right now (probably should be. I don’t know what the outcome of our new Prez taking office will be). I do know he is requiting a lot of anti-gun people to fill key spots. And I still really believe that he believes that Joe the Plummer and the rest of us should be disarmed. If and when this does happen then there will be strict sanctions against us too. This guy will not leave a stone unturned. I guess that will be the day that I have to go back to the outlaw side, Just my $.02.

Boerrancher
01-13-2009, 08:01 AM
I hit up that little gun shop a few towns down the highway yesterday, hoping to beat the price increase. Nope didn't get it done. His IMR powders were almost gone and those that he had there was only one or two cans left. Same with the the Aliant powders. They were somewhat cheaper than what I had seen other places but still higher than what I was paying a month ago.

Joe

WickedGoodOutdoors
01-15-2009, 11:56 AM
Is that a Celebration Price increase to provide increased Tax revenues to help support the needy?!

http://www.ohiomediaguide.com/ohio%20flag.jpg

PS: Wal Mart has Pyrodex for $9.99 a can maybe I should pick some up?

FN in MT
01-15-2009, 02:10 PM
When the Democratic ticket became unstoppable. I saw the handwriting on the wall. I started stocking up on the components I was low on...last year. I'm VERY happy the first thing I bought was primers. Paid $50 and change per 5K slip. Bought 60K.

Also bought 25K of 209 shotshell primers instead of my normal 10K for the year. Paid $99 ....the same WW209's are now $150+ !!!

Bought powder through my Trap Club when the Club made a big order. Eight pounders of IMR were a tad over $105. Unique was $92 per eight pound keg. No haz mat ripoff.

Bought .22 LR ammo by the 5K case from Wally world the year before. IIRC it was $7 per 500 rd pack,by the 5K case. Currently that is doubled.

My ONLY concern is restocking my supply of wheel weights. Most of my local tire shops are selling their used WW's to some guy who's cutting me out of my old supply!

There's no doubt we have some dark times ahead. Get EVERYONE You can to join the NRA. I think several million new NRA Members and donations to the NRA Legislative Action folks are our only hope.

FN in MT