PDA

View Full Version : Carnauba Red Lube and Black Powder?

DaveM
09-15-2021, 12:42 PM
I just got a box of 215 grain RNFP .430" bullets in from Matt's, to be used in loading .44-40 on top of Unique or Universal. They are lubed with Carnauba Red. I've been really pleased with the bullets I bought previously from Matt which were lubed with CR, but always loaded on top of smokeless.

I was wondering if anyone's tried CR when using black powder as the propellent, and if so how it worked out.

FWIW, I also cast bullets for .44-40 using an Accurate Molds 43-215C and lube with 50/50 beeswax mutton tallow for BP loads. So I'm just wondering if the CR-lubed bullets could be substituted if I run out of my home made bullets.

Thanks.

Jim22
09-15-2021, 01:07 PM
I would think Carnauba Red lube would be too hard for the .44-40 loads. The lube manufacturer says it is designed for high velocities - over about 2,000 fps. I doubt you will generate that speed with a sane load on the .44-40. Also, because it is hard Carnauba red takes a heater to get it to flow in my lube sizer. An unnecessary PITA with lower velocity loads. I would concentrate on lubes that are softer and not designed for high velocity use. Any of the RCBS green, Lyman orange or black, or maybe SPG. I think your idea of yhinning te lube with tallow is probably a good idea.

Just my two cents worth.

Jim

gwpercle
09-15-2021, 02:48 PM
Modern hard lubes are usually not great in black powder ... but only one real way to tell .
Load up a batch and as Troy Landry often says ...Choot 'Em !
Let us know how it works .
Gary

DaveM
09-15-2021, 03:08 PM
I think I'll just load some up and see what happens. The stuff on the bullets is pretty soft. Maybe it's already been thinned with something.

gwpercle
09-15-2021, 05:33 PM
I think I'll just load some up and see what happens. The stuff on the bullets is pretty soft. Maybe it's already been thinned with something.

Sounds like a good plan ... :drinks:
you just never can tell how well something will work until you give it a go .
Gary