PDA

View Full Version : Citric Acid

GregLaROCHE
09-13-2021, 10:50 PM
I’ve used citric acid for a long time to clean brass. After buying small quantities at high prices I bought six kilos for almost nothing. Besides brass, I use it to help remove light rust deposits sometimes.

I drink green tea every morning with a lot of fresh lemon squeezed into it. Once when I was out of lemons, I decided to try adding some citric acid. It says food grade on the container. It worked great. Not exactly the taste of fresh lemon, but pretty darn close. I now use it often when we are out of fresh lemons. It would probably be good in iced tea too. If someone were pack packing, it weighs a lot less then lemons.

Minerat
09-13-2021, 11:05 PM
You can use it to clean your coffee maker too. Just add a teaspoon to a full water reservoir and run it thru then rinse with clean water.

fiberoptik
09-14-2021, 01:49 AM
You can use it to clean your coffee maker too. Just add a teaspoon to a full water reservoir and run it thru then rinse with clean water.

Seems like a waste when white vinegar does the same thing cheaper. Save it for brass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaysouth
09-14-2021, 09:23 AM
The vitamin C in your lemon is ascorbic acid, not citric acid. The citric acid won't hurt you and might ease the tea stains on your teeth. In my house, we use a lot of citric acid for both cleaning brass and food preservation.

Minerat
09-14-2021, 10:25 AM
A friends is responsible for cleaning the coffeepots on airplains and they use it to clean and disinfect them. It is a beverage safety thing, and I get free citric acid to clean brass when I need it.[smilie=w:

fiberoptik
09-14-2021, 10:42 AM
So where do we get cheap citric acid?

bedbugbilly
09-14-2021, 11:03 AM
Same question - where is there a source for larger quantities of citric acid in bulk? Thanks.

rcslotcar
09-14-2021, 11:06 AM
I've bought it on Ebay,,shop around for the best bulk price.

Bmi48219
09-14-2021, 11:21 AM
Citric acid isn’t good for your tooth enamel. That’s why the dentists recommend brushing your teeth after eating citrus.

PhilC
09-14-2021, 11:25 AM
Seems like a waste when white vinegar does the same thing cheaper. Save it for brass.
I do same but with cider vinegar when I need to deep clean dirty brass (rare).

Burnt Fingers
09-14-2021, 12:43 PM
So where do we get cheap citric acid?

Same question - where is there a source for larger quantities of citric acid in bulk? Thanks.

https://bfy.tw/ReI7

Minerat
09-14-2021, 07:29 PM
google foo it. Looks like typical cost is 35 dollars for 5#'s. Amazon has 4000+ listing.

243winxb
09-14-2021, 07:43 PM
Got mine from here - http://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=citric&affiliate_pro_tracking_id=17:36:

GregLaROCHE
09-14-2021, 08:44 PM
The vitamin C in your lemon is ascorbic acid, not citric acid. The citric acid won't hurt you and might ease the tea stains on your teeth. In my house, we use a lot of citric acid for both cleaning brass and food preservation.

I’m not looking for vitamin C. I get plenty from supplements. I just add it to my tea for the taste.

Mal Paso
09-14-2021, 09:31 PM
I use Citric Acid instead of Acetic Acid for B&W Photographic Stop Bath.

Citric Acid is more concentrated than vinegar which is Acetic Acid. It takes a gallon of vinegar to do what a few spoonfuls of Citric Acid will do.

jaysouth
09-14-2021, 09:48 PM
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=5lb+citric+acid+food+grade&crid=3MAA12AW93JL3&ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_1_10

Scrounge
09-14-2021, 11:55 PM
I’ve used citric acid for a long time to clean brass. After buying small quantities at high prices I bought six kilos for almost nothing. Besides brass, I use it to help remove light rust deposits sometimes.

I drink green tea every morning with a lot of fresh lemon squeezed into it. Once when I was out of lemons, I decided to try adding some citric acid. It says food grade on the container. It worked great. Not exactly the taste of fresh lemon, but pretty darn close. I now use it often when we are out of fresh lemons. It would probably be good in iced tea too. If someone were pack packing, it weighs a lot less then lemons.

Add a bit of ascorbic acid, too, and you'll probably get a bit closer to the lemon flavor. Vitamin C.

Bill

Calamity Jake
09-17-2021, 06:48 PM
I use it to clean my tankless hot water heater.
1/4 cup in 1 1/2 gal. water, pump it thru for and hour then pump clean water

works good

Bullet Caster
09-17-2021, 09:47 PM
I only use citric acid for my brass. The coffee pot gets white vinegar for cleaning.

blackthorn
09-18-2021, 12:39 PM
or anyone interested, there is a "Sticky" in the Cast Boolits sub-forum on Citric Acid that has 46 pages for your edification. Have fun!