PDA

View Full Version : Lee--What is this for???

hiram
09-13-2021, 07:42 PM
I have a Lee die body. The top 3/8" or so is knurled. the marks on it are Lee-9MM-C4. The top of the die internally is not threaded, it is smooth. What would this have beeen used for?

Thanks.

rswink
09-13-2021, 08:34 PM
Powder thru expanding die

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

hiram
09-13-2021, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Lee powder dies I have seen have an aluminum cup that screws into the top of the die. How would this one work?

rswink
09-13-2021, 08:51 PM
When I was using it on the single stage I was rising the shell and then I had a funnel on top that I poured powder from the beam scale. Then sat them in the other tray.

It was for a friend's cast flat nose that we didn't like. But, we tried.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

jcren
09-13-2021, 09:50 PM
Sounds like the dedicated taper crimp die. Have one for 45acp.

richhodg66
09-13-2021, 09:57 PM
Sounds like the dedicated taper crimp die. Have one for 45acp.

I have one like that for .44 and I believe it to be just that, a taper crimp die. Doesn't look like the Lee powder thru dies I've had.

Pressman
09-14-2021, 08:27 AM
Good Thread

I inherited a small tub of Lee dies that I cannot figure out what they do. Lee designs work but better identity would really help.

bedbugbilly
09-15-2021, 09:48 AM
Brother - I would agree with screen - it sounds like it is thebsame as the Lee dedicated 9mmtaper crimp die that I have. I bought mine years ago when Started reloading because I thoughtI "needed" it. It turned out that with the set of 9mm dies I bought I didn't so it sat in a box for a while. Funny thing though - I have ended up using the die quite a few times when I have loaded other cartridges - one I use it on is when I load 38 Colt Short with cast - the (mm taper crimp is just the huckleberry to put a taper crimp on that cartridge since I don't have a roll crimp die that will work on the short casing.

hiram
09-15-2021, 09:53 AM
Good info. Thanks.I have sometimes substituted dies to do jobs for other calibers. Right now I am looking for my 9MM Luger neck expanding die.