PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the Arsenal 225-61 Grain "Elvis" and 225-77 "Elvis" Molds?

archangel2003
09-12-2021, 01:13 AM
I curious about them but do not want to buy the molds without knowing my gun will like them.
Anyone have them and are willing to sell me a few?

Castaway
09-12-2021, 06:55 AM
A word of caution. It’s illegal to sell bullets you cast. Requires an FFL

Misery-Whip
09-12-2021, 11:35 AM
Castaway,

Please post a link of where this rcw written?

I dont need an ffl to sell or trade fired cases, dies, molds, lead, why would raw cast bullets be any different?

sigep1764
09-12-2021, 11:44 AM
A few boolits here and there is not what the ATF is worried about. They are worried about the person manufacturing thousands for profit. You should be fine.

Burnt Fingers
09-12-2021, 12:11 PM
Castaway,

Please post a link of where this rcw written?

I dont need an ffl to sell or trade fired cases, dies, molds, lead, why would raw cast bullets be any different?

Because the law says they are.

There's this new thing called Google. It can answer many questions.

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=do+I+need+a+license+to+sell+cast+bullets

BC17A
09-12-2021, 12:36 PM
Okay, the Lawyers have chimed in. Now are there any gun guys here that can actually answer the OP's question as I'd like to know about those particular molds also.

Four-Sixty
09-12-2021, 01:25 PM
I was like "yes, 5 replies on this thread. I can read an opinion by a informed CB Member". But no...

I am gonna go make sure the tags are still on my mattress

Castaway
09-12-2021, 01:49 PM
sigep1764, the quantity isn’t mentioned. It comes down to letting your conscious be your guide. If they want to prosecute, they can. Maybe someone can send archangel2003 COD.

“Why is this?” you ask. It is because, despite the fact that the bullet is nothing more than shaped metal, it is an ammunition component. And federal law requires you to have an FFL if you are going to ‘engage in the business of manufacturing ammunition for purposes of sale or distribution’. The specific requirement may be found in 18 U.S.C. § 923 which reads (emphasis added):

(a) No person shall engage in the business of … manufacturing ammunition, until he has filed an application with and received a license to do so from the Attorney General. The application shall be in such form and contain only that information necessary to determine eligibility for licensing as the Attorney General shall by regulation prescribe and shall include a photograph and fingerprints of the applicant. Each applicant shall pay a fee for obtaining such a license, a separate fee being required for each place in which the applicant is to do business, as follows:

oley55
09-12-2021, 06:53 PM
Per the arguments/regulations presented, that means selling/buying a can of bullets at a yard sale runs afoul of the law. It sure seems like a guy should be able to sell his lead alloy to an acquaintance for testing purposes in the shape most conducive for accurate testing and analysis of said alloy.

All that aside, I wouldn't hesitate to help out a fellow caster as presented by the OP, even if it meant gifting them. Unfortunately, I don't have the design/s wanted.

Stopsign32v
09-12-2021, 08:21 PM
I was like "yes, 5 replies on this thread. I can read an opinion by a informed CB Member". But no...

Where is the like button for this comment?

shell70634
09-12-2021, 09:00 PM
So if i BOUGHT the boolits I can sell them. If I MADE them I can't. STOOPID STOOPID STOOPID

Stopsign32v
09-12-2021, 09:03 PM
So above it says "(a) No person shall engage in the business of … manufacturing ammunition"

Lead is not ammunition. A projectile, powder, brass, and primer is.

Pete44mag
09-12-2021, 09:30 PM
Make him a gift of a few bullets that way your not breaking the law.

Rfeustel
09-12-2021, 09:39 PM
So above it says "(a) No person shall engage in the business of … manufacturing ammunition"

Lead is not ammunition. A projectile, powder, brass, and primer is.

I don’t want to derail the thread. I think you might consider the definitions of “ammunition” and “engaged in the business” in section 921.

Stopsign32v
09-12-2021, 09:46 PM
I don’t want to derail the thread. I think you might consider the definitions of “ammunition” and “engaged in the business” in section 921.

ammunition noun
Save Word

To save this word, you'll need to log in.
am·​mu·​ni·​tion | \ ˌam-yə-ˈni-shən
\
Definition of ammunition

1a : the projectiles with their fuses, propelling charges, or primers fired from guns
b : cartridges
c : explosive military items (such as grenades or bombs)
2 : material for use in attacking or defending a position

No mention of funny shaped things made out of lead.

Rfeustel
09-12-2021, 09:57 PM
sigep1764, the quantity isn’t mentioned. It comes down to letting your conscious be your guide. If they want to prosecute, they can. Maybe someone can send archangel2003 COD.

“Why is this?” you ask. It is because, despite the fact that the bullet is nothing more than shaped metal, it is an ammunition component. And federal law requires you to have an FFL if you are going to ‘engage in the business of manufacturing ammunition for purposes of sale or distribution’. The specific requirement may be found in 18 U.S.C. § 923 which reads (emphasis added):

(a) No person shall engage in the business of … manufacturing ammunition, until he has filed an application with and received a license to do so from the Attorney General. The application shall be in such form and contain only that information necessary to determine eligibility for licensing as the Attorney General shall by regulation prescribe and shall include a photograph and fingerprints of the applicant. Each applicant shall pay a fee for obtaining such a license, a separate fee being required for each place in which the applicant is to do business, as follows:

Castaway, section 921 defines what it means to “engage in the business”. You need to read 923 in light of that definition, as it is probably more appropriate to this particular situation (as opposed to say, someone who has a bullet making business).

sigep1764
09-13-2021, 05:46 AM
Archangel, I don't have that particular mold, but I do have an MP 227 75 grain mold that is a similar design. It takes a gas check and weighs about 70 grains in my alloy. I can send you a few that are powder coated and checked, sized to .225-.226 if you'd like.

Burnt Fingers
09-13-2021, 11:51 AM

You can remove those tags. But the store can't.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-13-2021, 12:08 PM
Per the arguments/regulations presented, that means selling/buying a can of bullets at a yard sale runs afoul of the law. It sure seems like a guy should be able to sell his lead alloy to an acquaintance for testing purposes in the shape most conducive for accurate testing and analysis of said alloy.

All that aside, I wouldn't hesitate to help out a fellow caster as presented by the OP, even if it meant gifting them. Unfortunately, I don't have the design/s wanted.

I believe the 1986 Firearms Owners' Protection Act provides cover for the non-FFL citizen in the example you mention, that I highlighted in red. But if you cross the line into "Engaging in the Business" of selling "manufactured Ammo", without the correct FFL, you are breaking the law.

444ttd
09-13-2021, 02:50 PM
You can remove those tags. But the store can't.

you must get invited to all of the parties.

oley55
09-13-2021, 03:22 PM
ammunition noun
Save Word

To save this word, you'll need to log in.
am·​mu·​ni·​tion | \ ˌam-yə-ˈni-shən
\
Definition of ammunition

1a : the projectiles with their fuses, propelling charges, or primers fired from guns
b : cartridges
c : explosive military items (such as grenades or bombs)
2 : material for use in attacking or defending a position

No mention of funny shaped things made out of lead.

With no intent to disagree with you (I don't), but oft times the law creates their own definitions. Not germane to our "off in the weeds" discussion, but in the state of Florida and in regards to the possession of ammunition by a convicted felon (violent or nonviolent) a piece of brass, a primer, a bullet (cast or jacketed) and powder are each and all considered AMMUNTION. I unfortunately have a child who routinely visits my home who engaged in a nonviolent activity, So I must jump through ridiculous hoops to ensure all of my reloading components are under lock and key except when under my direct control in the highly unlikely chance some over zealous officer or prosecutor decides to make an issue over otherwise innocent stuff lying around. You have no idea what a PIA it is trying to keep track of every component and make sure they are locked away.

Fortunately lead ingots haven't been tagged as ammunition, YET.

archangel2003
09-13-2021, 03:47 PM
That would be fantastic.
I'm mainly interested in the heavier 223 bullets that I can cast at home.
I already have someone kind enough to volunteer to send me some "Elvis style lead alloy ingots" that just happen to be round, tapered on one end that also just happen to weigh 61 grains.:smile:

If the" AFT" want to try and prosecute me for sending a small amount of cast bullets to someone after this, good luck because I'll be doing it anyway.

Archangel, I don't have that particular mold, but I do have an MP 227 75 grain mold that is a similar design. It takes a gas check and weighs about 70 grains in my alloy. I can send you a few that are powder coated and checked, sized to .225-.226 if you'd like.

sigep1764
09-14-2021, 01:16 AM
That would be fantastic.
I'm mainly interested in the heavier 223 bullets that I can cast at home.
I already have someone kind enough to volunteer to send me some "Elvis style lead alloy ingots" that just happen to be round, tapered on one end that also just happen to weigh 61 grains.:smile:

If the" AFT" want to try and prosecute me for sending a small amount of cast bullets to someone after this, good luck because I'll be doing it anyway.

My sentiments exactly. I am not nor plan to be in the business of selling boolits. If I choose to recoup the cost of my alloy and gas checks, that is my interest. That does not constitute "Being in Business". I would not be seeking profit. This thread is going down a rabbit hole that it is unnecessary. Lets all relax, smile, and help where we can.

sukivel
09-14-2021, 02:02 AM
Does anyone actually cast for these and can give us some information on these bullets/molds, or are we going to stay off topic the entire thread?

I am interested in the 61 as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

archangel2003
09-19-2021, 11:09 AM
Thank you so much shell70634 for sending me a batch of the Elvis 61 grain projectiles.
They sure are a pretty sight.
I finally ordered the last 3 sizer dies I need from MidSouth Shooters Supply last weekend, the .356, for the 9mm, the .358 for the 38 SPL & 357 Magnum, and the .224, but as of Sunday, today, they still list them as ready to ship!

BTW, if anyone is interested, I have been finding 22WMR at the local Walmart for the past few weeks, and it seems like the shelf gets restocked with a fresh pile of boxes every week.
It's CCI in the 50 round plastic box for $11, but the same round in the 125 count cardboard milk jug is $24, and that's only $9 per 50, AND BOTH ARE AT THE PRE-PANDEMIC PRICES!!!
The limit is 3 boxes so I grab 375 rounds every time I go and it's on the shelf.
Occasionally all I find is 1 or 2 of the $11 boxes, but get them anyway as we never know when the fountain will run dry.
I always say if, but really feel it's more like a when, the SHTF hits, the rimfire rounds will be the most difficult to remanufacture so feel we all should be trying to stock up.
That is why I started reloading and collecting everything I need to reload every caliber I own.
It seems the only choke points are the powder and the primers.

sukivel
09-19-2021, 11:44 PM
Thank you so much shell70634 for sending me a batch of the Elvis 61 grain projectiles.
They sure are a pretty sight.
I finally ordered the last 3 sizer dies I need from MidSouth Shooters Supply last weekend, the .356, for the 9mm, the .358 for the 38 SPL & 357 Magnum, and the .224, but as of Sunday, today, they still list them as ready to ship!

BTW, if anyone is interested, I have been finding 22WMR at the local Walmart for the past few weeks, and it seems like the shelf gets restocked with a fresh pile of boxes every week.
It's CCI in the 50 round plastic box for $11, but the same round in the 125 count cardboard milk jug is $24, and that's only $9 per 50, AND BOTH ARE AT THE PRE-PANDEMIC PRICES!!!
The limit is 3 boxes so I grab 375 rounds every time I go and it's on the shelf.
Occasionally all I find is 1 or 2 of the $11 boxes, but get them anyway as we never know when the fountain will run dry.
I always say if, but really feel it's more like a when, the SHTF hits, the rimfire rounds will be the most difficult to remanufacture so feel we all should be trying to stock up.
That is why I started reloading and collecting everything I need to reload every caliber I own.
It seems the only choke points are the powder and the primers.

Would love to hear your feedback on these bullets after you get a chance to load and unload them.

iMigraine
05-13-2022, 12:23 PM
Would love to hear your feedback on these bullets after you get a chance to load and unload them.

I know this is an older thread, But no one answered the REAL question! Some casters come along later and see this thread, like myself, and still wonder...? For those who have and used these cast boolits, what are your thoughts and opinions of them in your AR's and bolt action rifles? TIA