PDA

View Full Version : Elevation adjustment

WineMan
01-10-2009, 05:07 PM
I was given a BSA 4X S4X32WR scope NIB (new in plastic?). The windage has 100 clicks (40 MoA) but the elevation seems to only have 16 clicks and then binds up. The indicator plate also seems to be at a slight angle. These have a lifetime warranty but I was not given any receipt etc.

Sighting in at 25 yards with a 22 LR makes the scope 4 MOA low at the highest setting.

Has anyone ever taken apart a scope adjustment screw and been successful?

Thanks in advance

Wineman

Ben
01-11-2009, 12:58 AM
It's your scope, you do whatever you'd like.

I ordered a Baruska Scope from Midway recently. Lost my sales receipt. Took it to the range for the 1st time. The elevation turrent was " dead", no adjustment of any kind. Windage worked but no elevation.

I came home, realized that I'd had the scope for about a yr. but it had been in the box and I'd never gone to the range and attempted to use it.

When I began reading the warranty that came with the scope, I realized I was going to be out about $50 to get a $60 scope repaired that had a " life-time warranty ".

I dropped it in the trash can, no more junk Chinese scopes for me.......! !

Ben

Doug Bowser
01-11-2009, 05:48 AM
The easy thing to do is to cut pieces of aluminum drink can, so they won't stick out beyond the scope rings. use them as s shim on the bottom of the rear ring. Only put the shim on the bottom 1/3 of the ring, not all the wayup each side to the center of the scope ring. Use as many as you need to center the crosshairs.

Junior1942
01-11-2009, 09:36 AM
I was given a BSA 4X S4X32WR scope NIB (new in plastic?). The windage has 100 clicks (40 MoA) but the elevation seems to only have 16 clicks and then binds up. The indicator plate also seems to be at a slight angle. These have a lifetime warranty but I was not given any receipt etc.

Sighting in at 25 yards with a 22 LR makes the scope 4 MOA low at the highest setting.

Has anyone ever taken apart a scope adjustment screw and been successful?

Thanks in advance

Wineman
First, remove the scope and see if the adjustments work. You may have it in a bind.

WineMan
01-19-2009, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the info!

I needed a scope for an Appleseed Shoot for my aging eyes (still working on reading glasses lenses, diopter gizmos to try to get irons useable) and my coworker had the BSA kicking around.

I was able to take my daughter (her first time ever with a firearm!) and she shot irons. I used a slice of her "Go-Girl" drink can (teenage caffeine supply) as a shim and got close to where there was enough adjustment to work. I had started with a business card but it was too thick.

Today I removed the plastic adjustment slot and the degree plate. The tower looks to be offset slightly from the housing and without the plate it clicks merrily away in both directions 160 total clicks (40 MOA). You could see where the disk was contacting the housing edge and binding. I am going to chuck the plate on a bolt with a nut and washer in a drill and take some off of the disk edge.

That Appleseed was fun, rewarding and humbling.

Cheers!

Wineman