PDA

View Full Version : Beat The drum

salvadore
09-09-2021, 05:14 PM
I replaced a drum on a 35 year old cva mountain rifle. The nbeat the drum.ew drum revolves about 1/4 turn beyond where the nipple is optimum for the hammer.

So how do I resolve this problem?

LAGS
09-09-2021, 05:46 PM
Install a washer on the drum threads.
You can make your own out of brass or copper.
I did one with the Aluminum from an old soda can.
You can cut the thin metal with regular hand scissors

John Taylor
09-09-2021, 06:52 PM
Put a few drops of blue loctite on the threads. That will keep it from moving and seal it.

mooman76
09-09-2021, 09:30 PM
They make drums without the nipple hole so you can drill and tsp where it lines up. You might try some Teflon tape on the threads.

bedbugbilly
09-12-2021, 07:54 PM
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ +1

Check T O W - they carry drun=ms that are not drilled and tapped for nipple. They also carry a neat little jig to allow you to drill and tap the nipple hole in the correct place to allow proper nipple/hammer cup alignment. I used undrilled drums with the jig on my builds in years past and it works slick. I think T O W still carries them.

If you don't want to go to that expense - as suggested above - use a shim washer between the drum and barrel. Just make sure that the threaded portion of the drum is the correct length for your barrel wall thickness.

Maven
09-13-2021, 09:31 AM
I think I'd contact Deer Creek in Waldron, IL as they usually have a large inventory of CVA parts.

beagle74
09-14-2021, 08:06 PM
I personally wouldn't trust a washer as a seal, but it should work. I think you are better off using a replacement drum and drill it with a jig once installed.

mooman76
09-15-2021, 08:54 AM
The threads would be the seal, not the washer. Washer would act more like a shim.