PDA

View Full Version : 44 special standard loads for hunting

Bazoo
09-07-2021, 09:36 PM
I see many a thread about hunting with 44 special, but only with the skeeter or Keith loads or their equivalent. I never see mention made of using a standard special load for hunting anything other than small game. I’ve never taken game with a handgun, but I plan to. I don’t see any reason a standard loading would not suffice for deer, even elk or black bear.

How does a load such as 5 grains bullseye under a 240 grain bullet, or a Keith bullet do against game?

I have a ranchdog 432-265-RF that drops at 270 grains. With that bullet and 4.6 grains bullseye, it is a real nice thumping load but still in standard pressure ranges. And standard recoil range.

So, any thoughts on these loads or similar, for hunting? Do I really need to up the power level for game larger than deer?

Outpost75
09-07-2021, 10:02 PM
A great deal depends upon what revolver you are shooting these in. In a strong Ruger Blackhawk or S&W N-frame there is no issue using loads which exceed the SAAMI MAP up to about 22,000 psi., attained with 6 grains of Bullseye or TiteGroup with 250-grain bullet for about 900 fps. Fine game load at handgun range. The 5-grain Bullseye load with #429421 gets about 800-830 fps and is fine at short tree stand range within 25 yards or so. In a strong gun 16 grs. of #2400 or 17 grs IMR4227 will do 1000 fps from a 4" gun. Good load!

farmbif
09-07-2021, 10:44 PM
one of the most extensive references ive read is from glen fryxell's practical experience hunting why handguns, fortunately he has shared what he knows with the world. this might answer a lot of your questions

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

megasupermagnum
09-07-2021, 10:50 PM
I think a lot like you do. 44 specials should be 44 specials. No more, and no less.

That load you state, that must be what, 750 fps? I wouldn't mess with any hollow points in this range. For deer or black bear with a solid bullet, on land you don't mind tracking an animal 100 yards, have at it. Chances are it will die even closer than that, but it is not likely to leave all that impressive of a wound. You'd probably be ok for elk as well, I don't think you are going to be short on penetration. Realistically, you're probably looking at effectiveness in the ballpark of 327 federal. I have, and will again, hunt with 327 federal and 45 acp in this power level.

Thumbcocker
09-08-2021, 08:36 AM
8.0 of power pistol under a 255 grain Keith chronograph 920 fps from a 4 5/8" new flattop within tier one pressure. I would think that would suffice for a lot of critters. It has shot well in every .44 special I have tried it in.

Larry Gibson
09-08-2021, 09:11 AM
A great deal depends upon what revolver you are shooting these in. In a strong Ruger Blackhawk or S&W N-frame there is no issue using loads which exceed the SAAMI MAP up to about 22,000 psi., attained with 6 grains of Bullseye or TiteGroup with 250-grain bullet for about 900 fps. Fine game load at handgun range. The 5-grain Bullseye load with #429421 gets about 800-830 fps and is fine at short tree stand range within 25 yards or so. In a strong gun 16 grs. of #2400 or 17 grs IMR4227 will do 1000 fps from a 4" gun. Good load!

What Outpost75 said.....

Bazoo
09-08-2021, 10:17 AM
So the general consensus is that 44 special in a standard loading is not suitable for hunting deer, other than at very close range?

What about the other load I mention, with the 270 grain bullet? Does that up the killing power any?

And for the record, I’m not opposed to the heavier loading, I’m just curious as to the usefulness of a standard loading.

Walks
09-08-2021, 01:08 PM
I was raised on the Principle of "Use enough Gun".
So if I was hunting with a .44Spl, I'd use as heavy a load as the Revolver and/or I could handle. That being said, I agree with Outpost 75 on 4227 or 2400.

megasupermagnum
09-08-2021, 01:53 PM
So the general consensus is that 44 special in a standard loading is not suitable for hunting deer, other than at very close range?

What about the other load I mention, with the 270 grain bullet? Does that up the killing power any?

And for the record, I’m not opposed to the heavier loading, I’m just curious as to the usefulness of a standard loading.

I don't think anyone said that. A Keith bullet at 750-800 fps would work just fine on deer and blackbear. It's not going to make huge holes, but penetration would be fine. Going to a 270 gr bullet won't do anything at all.

Bazoo
09-08-2021, 02:12 PM
Well, outpost did suggest the 5 grains bullseye load as being 25 yards or so. I can hit out to 75 pretty easy.

Bazoo
09-08-2021, 02:29 PM
I do plan to work into the heavier loadings. I’m interested in loads that are over the standard range but less than the skeeter load also. Anyone suggest a load or offer an article on that point?

rkrcpa
09-08-2021, 03:36 PM
I do plan to work into the heavier loadings. I’m interested in loads that are over the standard range but less than the skeeter load also. Anyone suggest a load or offer an article on that point?

As stated above, you can use Power Pistol to equal the Skeeter load while staying within standard pressure levels. Brian Pearce has published loads in three levels that should get you what you want.

What pressure levels are you looking for?

ABJ
09-08-2021, 04:13 PM
Do a google search for Brian Pearce 44 special articles. The PDF on the Goodrich family site has three load levels and lots of loads in each. I have used several on tier one and two. If I need tier 3 loads I just use my 44 mag.
Tony

DougGuy
09-08-2021, 06:10 PM
44Special in a New Model Flattop Blackhawk platform is good to 25,000psi which is right up under the 44 magnum, you are bumping the lower level of the 44 magnum at this level of performance. VERY good performance on any game animal on the North American continent.

44 Special in the factory pressure loadings is bordering on cruel and inhumane treatment. WHY would you use such an anemic, underperforming caliber on any hunt? Killing pigs for slaughter at arms length yes. Dispatching a wounded animal at very close range yes. Taking a healthy deer, bear, elk, fill in the blank here, at 30 or 40 yards with a 44 Special loaded to 750fps? With all the much more suitable choices available to us in modern times? Unthinkable.

megasupermagnum
09-08-2021, 06:39 PM
Well, outpost did suggest the 5 grains bullseye load as being 25 yards or so. I can hit out to 75 pretty easy.

With a MV of 800 fps, you're looking at an estimated 750 fps at 75 yards. I don't think range is a factor at all with a loading such as this. I think 44 specials are pointless, but I'd hunt deer with one, no problem.

badwolf
09-09-2021, 05:55 AM
What tier loads are safe in a US firearms revolver?

winelover
09-09-2021, 07:00 AM
What tier loads are safe in a US firearms revolver?

Pierce's article goes over that. Only 44 Special I have is a snub-nosed Bulldog. Tier one and two are safe. However, it is not recommended using tier two for an extended period of time..............due to accelerated wear.

Winelover

Golfswithwolves
09-09-2021, 02:34 PM
Mr. Bazoo- Remember that some states (mine for instance) have legal requirements for the energy a weapon must produce in order to legally use it for deer or elk. So you might want to calculate this information to determine if your load meets any such standards.

Bazoo
09-09-2021, 05:40 PM
Interesting responses. Thanks all.

This state, anything centerfire is legal for deer.

I think elk and bear have minimums but I can’t recall for sure without the book. I don’t think 44 special is legal as the glass length is the determining factor. That part of the question is from a theoretical perspective since I’m not into hunting either, yet.

white eagle
09-09-2021, 06:51 PM
I find the special to be rather special
it is easier to shoot than the 44 mag
it doesn't bust up your hand with harsh recoil
with appropriate boolits it will do anything a mag will do
as far as hunting deer goes
all that said I own both and use a mag for boolits over 275 gr both are very accurate
so you will never be wanting for 95% of your shooting needs and that is special

Tripplebeards
09-09-2021, 07:00 PM
I shot a couple of nuisance raccoons recently using my new vaquero. I used 5.2 grains of trailboss and a lee 255 grain boolit. The velocity is really low. Head shot for head shot, my 22lr Ruger wrangler seems to knock them “instantly” dead better than the big 255 grain lee at 575 fps.

gunseller
09-09-2021, 08:13 PM
I have a load in 44 mag using 6 or 7 grains of red dot under a 210 grain swc. It can't be doing much over 700fps. One year I shot a big doe at just over 100 yards with that load. Hit her in the hart. She made one leap and it was all over. So yes a standard pressure load in a 44 special will kill a deer at 100 yards with correct bullet placement.
Steve

Bazoo
09-09-2021, 08:31 PM
I have a load in 44 mag using 6 or 7 grains of red dot under a 210 grain swc. It can't be doing much over 700fps. One year I shot a big doe at just over 100 yards with that load. Hit her in the hart. She made one leap and it was all over. So yes a standard pressure load in a 44 special will kill a deer at 100 yards with correct bullet placement.
Steve

I appreciate you sharing that. I’d like to hear more stories like that.

Tripplebeards
09-09-2021, 09:25 PM
Me too!

Bazoo
09-10-2021, 12:04 AM
In pierces article on 44 special, he lists 5 grains bullseye and the Keith bullet at 800+ FPS with a 4 1/4” barrel. So with my 4 5/8, possible if pushing 850fps. That’s a touch more powerful than a 45 acp, which has been used on deer. So I’ve been researching that. And it seems many a folk has taken deer broadside with the 45 auto.

Cosmic_Charlie
09-10-2021, 02:06 AM
I was recently shooting a 275 gr. boolit over 6.9 of Unique out of my 24-3. Was maybe a touch warm with breech imprinting on the primers and full case expansion. Very accurate and not unpleasant to shoot. Loaded some at 6.6 yesterday and these I will chronograph. I use that same boolit over 9.2 of Unique in my Super Blackhawk.

Edit; Well the 6.6 .44 special load is going about 875 fps. The 9.2 .44 mag load is 1165.

megasupermagnum
09-10-2021, 06:22 PM
In pierces article on 44 special, he lists 5 grains bullseye and the Keith bullet at 800+ FPS with a 4 1/4” barrel. So with my 4 5/8, possible if pushing 850fps. That’s a touch more powerful than a 45 acp, which has been used on deer. So I’ve been researching that. And it seems many a folk has taken deer broadside with the 45 auto.

If anything, I think you are better off with a 44 special, than a 45 ACP, since you can use any bullet you want. You can use a WFN in 45 ACP, but you have to make sure it feeds. I really doubt you will ever be able to tell the difference a non-expanding solid flat nosed bullet does whether it starts at 750 fps or 850 fps. The only thing you need to worry about is accuracy. That's the whole point of people liking big and slow. Nothing you do will change the effectiveness, so all you need is accuracy.

white eagle
09-10-2021, 09:20 PM
I shot a couple of nuisance raccoons recently using my new vaquero. I used 5.2 grains of trailboss and a lee 255 grain boolit. The velocity is really low. Head shot for head shot, my 22lr Ruger wrangler seems to knock them “instantly” dead better than the big 255 grain lee at 575 fps.

try putting some more powder in there
you will notice a difference

NEKVT
09-10-2021, 10:03 PM
Do a google search for Brian Pearce 44 special articles. The PDF on the Goodrich family site has three load levels and lots of loads in each. I have used several on tier one and two. If I need tier 3 loads I just use my 44 mag.
Tony

Haven't read Handloader Magazine in a while but remember Brian Pearce writing he got full penetration on an elk with a 44 Special and Keith bullet at 950fps.

white eagle
09-10-2021, 10:33 PM
I use a load of 7.5 gr unique with 250ish boolits
accuracy and smack what more can you ask for

35 Whelen
09-14-2021, 10:49 AM
I've killed a few head of game with my .44 Special's, deer and hogs. With the exception of one, they were all dispatched with a 255-ish gr. SWC (RCBS 44-250 KT)running 925-950 fps., the exception was a buck I shot with a 243 gr. cast SWCHP running a hair over 1100 fps. Ranges were as close as 12 yds., with two, a buck and a sow, right at 45 yds. This bullet at this velocity typically completely penetrates so I see little need in any more velocity for this size game.

One can pretty easily get bullets in this weight range running 950-1000 fps and still stay within 15,000 psi. 8.0 - 8.2 grs. of Power Pistol is probably a fellas best bet. This is pretty much my go-to hunting load and it runs right at 950 fps and shoots quite well in my old rattley Uberti.

https://i.imgur.com/XsJPtGjl.jpg

So to answer the OP's question, as always, where you hit 'em is far more important than what you hit them with. I'd not go out after elk with a .44 Special load with a 260-265 gr. SWC running 900-1000 fps, but if it were all I had and a bull walked within 50 or so yards of me, I have no doubt it would work.

35W

Bazoo
09-14-2021, 10:59 AM
Thanks for your addition to this thread 35w. Nice looking Uberti too. I like guns with honest wear.

I don’t have any power pistol but I will keep a lookout for some. I’ve been wanting to try it for a little while now.

green mountain boy
09-14-2021, 12:14 PM
Thanks for your addition to this thread 35w. Nice looking Uberti too. I like guns with honest wear.

I don’t have any power pistol but I will keep a lookout for some. I’ve been wanting to try it for a little while now.

i shot a buck three years ago with a 10in contender 44 mag bbl. i was useing 44 special brass and a 245gr swc with 8 grains of unique,a measured 82 yards from me to it. took the top of the heart off and he never took a step, it was a pass through but i didnt find the boolit.

Cosmic_Charlie
09-16-2021, 09:46 AM
Out of my 6-1/2" 24-3, a 275 gr. boolit over 6.6 of Unique gets me about 900 fps. And it is accurate as well. I want a quick clean kill on a deer. A deer that runs and suffers gets full of stress hormones that you can smell when you're field dressing and taste when you eat it. I may try handgun deer hunting this year but I would use my 7-1/2" SBH .44 mag with that same boolit over 9.2 of Unique for about 1165 fps.

gc45
10-07-2021, 03:36 PM
My .02 cents: My life has been blessed to have hunted for many years and taking lots of game, from varmits to moose and buffalo and using antique black powder rifles. But I'm here to say, before getting my 44 Special Ruger which I hope to hunt with this year, my brother and i used an older Ruger 44 mag that was my Dad's back in his day. To date, that old 44 loaded with about 7.3 grains of Unique (we used a dipper not having scales) and 240 cast bullets, has dispached around 30 or more deer, all at 45-50 yds from our deer stand in the woods back of our Dad's farm. None I can remember went over 10-20 yds. Also a few black bears with same loads and same results that, went a little farther before going down dead. It's my opinion the hydrolic shock and penitration of this load just kills them quick by really upsetting the vitals. These animals were all killed with lung shots and were just full of blood in the cavity. Having killed many game animals with verious cartidges, the 44 bullets in this weight or heavier and driven to about 900fps is as good as it gets within handgun ranges for proper bullet placement that in my view is most critical. Subjectively, I would disagree with using low velocity loads for humane kills unless at closer ranges and very good bullet placement.
In short, heavy bullets driven at velocities that give excellent penitration along with proper placement at our intended distances of game, is what is most important. No more, no less.

sharps4590
10-08-2021, 07:35 AM
You mean to say one doesn't need $4.00 dollar apiece, copper monometal bullets and 3500 fps to kill the armor plated game of today? Pshaw....I ain't believin' that for a minute.....:roll:

Bazoo
10-08-2021, 10:46 AM
So a standard 44 special load is basically useless for big game hunting except as a last resort and then only with a perfect opportunity.

But a load similar to the skeeter load works quite well.

ABJ
10-08-2021, 01:40 PM
Bazoo, I think with a starting velocity of 800/850 and a 40ish yard shot you are good to go. I would in a heartbeat. But!!!! move on out to 50 yds and beyond I feel more comfortable with a load in the 1000 fps range. I have two iron sighted specials that I can hit swingers form 25 yds out to 130 yds on demand but the longer range swingers are not the 6 to 8 inch vitals on a deer, more like 2 feet by 3 feet. I know my own limitations and I respect that.
I also have a 7.5" 44 mag and a 7.5"454 both wearing scopes and both sighted in a 100 yds. My top end loads for both are right around 1200 or so. If I think I might have a shot over 40ish yds I carry the big guns if not I carry the special at 900.
I absolutely love the 44 special, If a gun can be a best friend then my flattop is it. It is my go to sidearm when rifle hunting or just woods walking or just being in camp. I have two loads, 5.0 bullseye and a 240 swc for daily use and the same boolit with power pistol loaded to a little over 900. Sorry I'm and work so I don't remember the PP load exactly. The bullseye load inside of 50 yds is the limit of my confidence on a live animal with iron sights and my eyes.
Tony

megasupermagnum
10-08-2021, 06:48 PM
Just some quick numbers for you guys with a basic Keith bullet.

Started at 750 fps, it would be down to about 720 fps at 50 yards.

Started at 900 fps, it would be down to about 850 fps at 50 yards.

This is my opinion, but distance does not play a huge role in the effectiveness of a big and slow round like this. If it works at 10 yards, it will work at 100.

taco650
10-08-2021, 08:17 PM
So a standard 44 special load is basically useless for big game hunting except as a last resort and then only with a perfect opportunity.

But a load similar to the skeeter load works quite well.

I think, as other's have mentioned already, that it depends more on the range you want to shoot at and your ability to put the bullet where you want it. IRRC a standard .44 Sp load was a 246 lrn going around 750 isn't it? I would only use a swc or something with a wide meplat with a power you can shoot accurately even if its a standard pressure load. I think the others who mention more powerful loads only do so to let you know that more power can be had from the .44 Sp and still be safe in a standard handgun. Experiment with loads if you can and see what you and your handgun of choice like best.

gunseller
10-08-2021, 08:18 PM
A Winchester factor Silvertips out of a Charter Arms 3 inch barreled Bull Dog worked to dispatch several in the 125 to 200 pound people. Just ask Son of Sam. Some of the shots went through auto glass. Most deer are in the same weight. Bullet placement is what counts. A 4 to 6 inch gives a lot more sight radius. This makes shooting accurate easier. Use what you can use well.
Steve

Bazoo
10-08-2021, 09:58 PM
I appreciate the responses. I am not opposed to heavier loadings, but I am curious as to the effectiveness of standard velocity loads; 750ish loads. In all my research in the special, I’ve seen gobs of people talk about the skeeter load or equivalent, but didn’t find any mention of using lesser loadings, with proper bullet design. I know a bullet with a large meplat is superior to a RN profile.

BunkTheory
10-17-2021, 02:06 AM
44Special in a New Model Flattop Blackhawk platform is good to 25,000psi which is right up under the 44 magnum, you are bumping the lower level of the 44 magnum at this level of performance. VERY good performance on any game animal on the North American continent.

44 Special in the factory pressure loadings is bordering on cruel and inhumane treatment. WHY would you use such an anemic, underperforming caliber on any hunt? Killing pigs for slaughter at arms length yes. Dispatching a wounded animal at very close range yes. Taking a healthy deer, bear, elk, fill in the blank here, at 30 or 40 yards with a 44 Special loaded to 750fps? With all the much more suitable choices available to us in modern times? Unthinkable.

yet 90% of the time, anyone says "can i use a .357 magnum for deer hunting", they are told to just get a 44 special loaded like a 44 special is supposed to be loaded, ie 246 to 250 grains at 800-1000 FPS,, and it will be a better experience.

So please, dont spout the 44 special loaded like a special as being superior at stopping deer, bear, or horses then the .357 magnum is, and then decry it as being "only fit to dispatch a mule with broken leg or a SQUIRREL with a head shot at muzzle contact range.