PDA

View Full Version : $100 Cub Cadet 2166 Is About 30yrs Old and Running Strong

jonp
09-07-2021, 06:06 PM
Wife got this over 10yrs ago from an employee that just couldn't stand his neighbor having a zero turn. It was in rough looking shape but ran fine.

Over the years I have done:

oil and filters of course
Battery
Air filters
belts
welded the mower deck with an $89 HF wire welder bought for the task
welded the muffler with the above wire welder
fuel pump and filters
hydrostatic filter and fluid. Tractor Supply Universal fluid works great
electric clutch under $100 direct from domestic maker
re-wired some of the safety switches and some other connections plus pulled the headlight wires.
PTO switch
Starter for about $60 but it didn't really need it I think

Thats about it, probably less than $500 into a 30yr old mower that starts and runs like a top. The original Kohler Command 16hp just keeps going.

I've learned a lot about old mowers tinkering with this one. I'm looking around yards as I drive about and there are a bunch of riders just sitting. I'm considering picking up some and getting them going then selling them. Craftsmans (red and gray), Husky's, even saw an old Wheel Horse. I bet most will get moving.

white eagle
09-07-2021, 06:22 PM
I had a Cub before I bought a Deere zero turn, had nothing but trouble with it
like you I put money into it (lot's o money) now it does secondary work
on another property I own

labradigger1
09-07-2021, 06:29 PM
I buy old odd numbered hundred series mower (127,129 etc.) for the sundstrand 14U hydraulic units in them. They are the same units my skid steer has for the drive motors.
As for mowers, I’m a gravely man 100%.
Congrats on your cub.

wv109323
09-07-2021, 08:57 PM
I had a 127 that was made in 1970-72. It was a tank and going strong when I sold it because I sold the rural property I had. I did minimal work to it. Belts, oil changes and deck bearings.

porthos
09-10-2021, 07:52 PM
i have a 8 year old cub that i paid $2300.00 for not a box store purchase. at 136 hrs the transmission died. i'm ashamed to admit that it cost me $1200.00. and i did contact cub cadet; and got lip service. and from what i hear john deere isn't much better. if you want a long life mower you need a garden tractor. my next will be a simplicity or husqvarna.