PDA

View Full Version : 7:00 A.M. Outside My Kitchen Window!

Der Gebirgsjager
09-07-2021, 10:24 AM
288369 288370
Click to enlarge.

Texas by God
09-07-2021, 10:39 AM
Meat delivery! If it was season you could use the loader to put him in the truck.[emoji16] Just kidding- sort of......
I like to watch them too.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

white eagle
09-07-2021, 10:57 AM
nice little fella there
cool to see

Der Gebirgsjager
09-07-2021, 11:55 AM
True, he's not a very large one. I think he's a last year's fawn. A lot of them seem to skip the spike year and go right to the fork. The 4 pointers (and up) get pretty large. Archery season is on, but rifle season isn't until next month.

DG

Buck Shot
09-07-2021, 12:20 PM
Nice. Now if only you could lure him to the butchering area. :-D

I've heard that compared to whitetails, shooting a mule deer is like shooting a cow tied to a post. ;) Is that true?

Also, is that a mule deer, or a black tail? I've only hunted deer out east. (I guess black-tailed is a subspecies?)

GregLaROCHE
09-07-2021, 03:26 PM
But will he be there at hunting season. Seems like may animals have their own calendars with hunting season marked.

Handloader109
09-07-2021, 04:57 PM
Had two wander by about that time on Saturday, and yesterday an even larger buck and I guess his favorite doe were right at my fence just wandering by nipping a bit of grass or weeds. Won't see them in about 6 weeks for a couple of months.

GONRA
09-07-2021, 05:34 PM
GONRA sez - in semirural PA "back yards" they're all over the place......

Der Gebirgsjager
09-07-2021, 05:36 PM
I got myself confused about their tails a couple of years ago, and phoned OF&G to ask an expert. Mule deer have a white tail with a black tip. From my observations the top 2/3 is white and the bottom 1/3 black. Here's the strange part: A whitetail deer's tail is black, except when they run and stick it up in the air and the bottom is white. A coastal black tail deer's tail is...yup, black. This guy is definitely a mule deer, which is all we've got here unless one was to run across a crossbreed, which is rare, and OF&G is understanding if they are mistakenly shot for something else. Basically, we've got the blacktails in the Coast Range Mountains and Willamette Valley, mule deer in the Cascades and Eastern Oregon. Only one county (Douglas) has whitetails in sufficient numbers to permit hunting, and they don't seem inclined to move very far away from that location. I was informed that whitetails were all over the state when it was originally settled, but they were hunted almost to extinction. As for the mulies being like shooting a cow (I did see the wink) I really can't say, as it's probably where you locate them at and under what circumstances. Maybe if they're out in a pasture grazing like a cow-- but they sure can disappear into a forest quickly, and like the man said, when deer season arrives they become very elusive.

DG

jonp
09-07-2021, 05:41 PM
Wow..nice tractor

missionary5155
09-07-2021, 05:58 PM
Good looking table fare to me !

hc18flyer
09-07-2021, 06:04 PM
Good looking table fare to me !

I agree!

richhodg66
09-07-2021, 06:22 PM
Had a little one in velvet like that cross the driveway in front of me when I went out to check the mail the other day. He wasn't real scared, and if I hadn't had the dog with me, he'd have likely stopped and let me talk to him like they often do.

I still like to eat them, but can't seem to generate my former enthusiasm about killing them anymore. I'll still hunt, because like I said, we like to eat them, but I seem to enjoy watching them more and more lately.

missionary5155
09-07-2021, 06:44 PM
Yep they are fun to watch.
But when October arrives my brain still thinks "supper time" for us and several older than us families we supply with great corn fed meat.

Beerd
09-07-2021, 07:10 PM
Not so much fun to watch when they helping themselves to your garden. :(

Buck Shot
09-07-2021, 07:48 PM
Not so much fun to watch when they helping themselves to your garden. :(

Nor when they do this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpXLGM2R63M

(Warning: Foul language bleeped)

smoked turkey
09-08-2021, 11:28 PM
I have about 60 acres to hunt on here. My land is 95% trees and brush. I enjoy the hunt and do my own processing. I am in a CWD (chronic wasting disease) county, so I have to travel to a check point to have my deer checked for CWD. That's only required on the opening weekend of our firearms deer season. I can just take the head and part of the spine for check in or the whole deer, my choice. So generally speaking the deer never leaves the home place after it is harvested. I said all that to say that we do hunt and like the meat. But house rules here is that we don't harvest any deer (or turkey either) around the house. We enjoy watching them too much to shoot them close to the house. Silly maybe, but that is our rule around here.

jonp
09-09-2021, 04:15 PM
Nor when they do this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpXLGM2R63M

(Warning: Foul language bleeped)

Holy !!!! indeed. That guys reaction is classic

Buck Shot
09-10-2021, 07:55 AM
Holy !!!! indeed. That guys reaction is classic

I liked one of the comments / replies on YouTube:

Comment: Did the deer DIE???

Reply: I certainly HOPE so! :-P

Also, I'd say the driver was a bit "late" on the horn-blowing!

Bigbore5
09-14-2021, 01:07 PM
I culled a buck last year that had a broken shoulder more than likely from a run in with a car. Some people just can't understand what a crippled deer is suffering like. I too hope the deer died quickly.

DougGuy
09-14-2021, 01:48 PM
The deer here taunt you every day until..... Opening day. Then you won't see hide nor hair of them for 2 weeks. I swear I think they get an antlergram from the state every year telling them when rifle season comes in.

smoked turkey
09-18-2021, 05:38 AM
Ha Ha. Doug, seems our Missouri deer also "get the memo".