PDA

View Full Version : What clear containers do you store your brass and boolits in?

Stopsign32v
09-07-2021, 07:44 AM
My workshop is in desperate need of an update. I'm planning on shelves and I need to organize my brass and boolits better. Could you guys give some pictures and inspiration for me on which direction I should go? I'm mainly trying to figure out which clear containers I can use and label.

hc18flyer
09-07-2021, 07:54 AM
I reuse my peanut butter jars, perfect sizes and free. hc18flyer

Sasquatch-1
09-07-2021, 07:59 AM
I use the large Utz pretzel jugs along with the large cheese ball jugs for 9mm 40S&W and 45ACP. For 44mag and 38 spl I use bullet trays and boxes. The Plastic bullet boxes, meant for storing and carrying loaded rounds, that close actually retard tarnishing a bit.

jonp
09-07-2021, 08:03 AM
I bought a rack of 3, actually 4 of them at walmart for my brass. The draws hold a few thousand each or more depending on the brass
Sterlite i think they are called. I also bought some small plastic ones with clamplids for lead

CastingFool
09-07-2021, 08:06 AM
I like to use the clear peanut butter jars for boolits and the quart size yogurt containers for brass

georgerkahn
09-07-2021, 08:07 AM
Re brass, in my case I had soooo many "assorted" plastic containers ranging from cottage cheese to peanut butter -- all over the place -- exacerbating anything one may wish to refer to as a "MESS!" -- added with the difficulty encountered of finding the brass I wanted when needed. It took several years before buying some cardboard boxes (Amazon) dawned on me -- and I'll never look back. I have about sixty labeled boxes in garage, and -- as hoped for -- pretty much any calibre I seek is but a very few minutes away. Within each box, the brass is in Zip-Lock brand bags, each with a 1/2-three by five card having "info" on the respective brass noted. I have a photo attached.288352
Re bullets... I bought a whole pile of blue, plastic bullet storage boxes from Midway, over a decade back, when they were on Clearance -- to be discontinued (and they were) -- and frankly have not been able to find more. Bion, I have been using the cardboard boxes NOE Moulds came in, and similar, of late...
BEST!
geo

09-07-2021, 08:10 AM
Quart size Ziploc style freezer bags for the bullets and small batches of brass. Write it down on a piece of paper what it is and what state of processing, put the note in the bag, then squeeze the air out, lock it shut. Many of these sealed bags can fit into a large box.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

John Guedry
09-07-2021, 08:14 AM
Empty Planters peanut containers.

JimB..
09-07-2021, 08:19 AM
Ammo cans, yellow labels are brass white labels are loaded ammo.

Bullets are still a mess, but lots in the boxes that Berry’s and eXtreme bullets come in.

Mostly not clear.

lar45
09-07-2021, 08:31 AM
I like the big plastic jars that nuts come in. I have a friend that saves them for me. I just put a piece of wide masking tape on the outside to label them with a sharpie.
I do like the better stacking organization of all those cardboard boxes though.

oley55
09-07-2021, 09:07 AM
I use these clear PTE flat sided jugs. they can be stacked on their sides or standing up and leave very little wasted space. Various snacks n candies come in them, however I ordered these direct from a supplier so that I could get the sizes that created the least wasted space.

lightman
09-07-2021, 09:31 AM
I use plastic Folgers coffee cans for brass. They are not clear but I write the details on the front of them with a sharpie. I have found that PVC cleaner will remove the sharpie without damaging the can if I change the contents.

For bullets, I use the half gallon jugs that coffee creamer comes in. They are not clear either but I write on them with a sharpie. A friends wife saves them for me from work.

Square containers stack better than round ones but a lot of us repurpose containers from foodstuff that we use at home.

Buck Shot
09-07-2021, 09:31 AM
I use the rectangular plastic tubs that WalMart sells potato salad and macaroni salad in.
They have nice snap-on lids and are as clear as glass, and stack fairly well. They're about 5" tall.
For boolits, I often use the plastic tubs that Nestle sells Toll House Cookie Dough in. (Also good for PC coating boolits.)

ryanmattes
09-07-2021, 10:08 AM
I use these clear PTE flat sided jugs. they can be stacked on their sides or standing up and leave very little wasted space. Various snacks n candies come in them, however I ordered these direct from a supplier so that I could get the sizes that created the least wasted space.I use these exact same containers. My local Walmart has them for a couple bucks each, so I just started picking up a few every now and then. Now I have a ton.

I keep bullets and cleaned brass in them, and use Avery removable labels on them.

For bulk brass that's dirty or in the process of being cleaned, I use these plastic ammo can containers, also bought from Walmart when I found them on sale.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210907/65061cfd2bdf1f450c4780c15d2d2c96.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210907/8ea41c746842b8cc48d9c4ec615c6d37.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Soundguy
09-07-2021, 10:17 AM
I usually use plastic containers that nuts come in.. the large 2 quart ones.. occasionally the wide mouth mayo jars. some small run bullets get jam or mason jars. for brass, I generally use ziplock bags.

Minerat
09-07-2021, 10:42 AM
I use these

https://www.amazon.com/LOCK-Container-Flip-top-169-07-oz-21-13-cup/dp/B002BL23AQ/ref=sr_1_83?crid=3UBO13W9JP35D&dchild=1&keywords=plastic+storage+canisters+with+lids&qid=1631025720&sprefix=plastic+storage+canisters+with+lids%2Caps% 2C228&sr=8-83

Soundguy
09-07-2021, 11:21 AM
Nice containers..especially for stacking.

David2011
09-07-2021, 02:02 PM
They’re not clear but I ordered a quantity of 4x4x4 cardboard boxes from Uline.com; the same that commercial casters use. I also got a few 4x4x8 boxes for brass. They’re very strong and stack well.

imashooter2
09-07-2021, 02:05 PM
Brass goes in plastic shoe boxes. Boolits are in cardboard boxes for small quantity runs, ammo cans for high usage items.

ryanmattes
09-07-2021, 02:23 PM
I also have a bunch of these stackable Sterilite boxes that I use for in-progress projects. They're convenient, because I can pile a couple hundred cast bullets, or brass, or various baggies of different parts or stuff into them, and put it away. Then I don't have to track down whatever I was working on, it's all in the tub.

I have 3 different sizes, one that's the height of these two stacked, and one that's the same height as these, but two wide, and they're all stackable. I'll stick a removable label on them to remind me what's going on inside (".45 Colt unsized" on slugs, or "9mm win sized untrimmed" on brass, etc).

They're handy for stuff that's in process, because I can take a case from one tub, trim or whatever, and drop it into another, identical bucket, and if I have to stop in the middle they're clearly marked. When I empty a tub I just pull the label off and toss it back in the stack of empty tubs.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210907/fc76cddfc52007fa4d039486200cd8df.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210907/a352516e1b45b033296414a090309319.jpg

Gewehr-Guy
09-07-2021, 02:24 PM
Peanut butter jars and mayo jars for bullets. My last kid left for college, so I won't have so many from now on. My oldest daughter gave me a big box for Christmas, it was full of empty jars she saved! Most practical gift I got , told her to keep them coming !

GregLaROCHE
09-07-2021, 02:38 PM
I definitely recommend the clearest containers possible. Even with labels, your mind picks up on what’s inside first. Nothing wrong with glass if you are careful. Has anyone seen how you can attach lids underneath a shelf and then screw the jars up into then. The contents are just hanging there for you to see.

ryanmattes
09-07-2021, 02:48 PM
I definitely recommend the clearest containers possible. Even with labels, your mind picks up on what’s inside first. Nothing wrong with glass if you are careful. Has anyone seen how you can attach lids underneath a shelf and then screw the jars up into then. The contents are just hanging there for you to see.My dad did that with baby food jars in his shed when I was a kid. A whole, 8 foot long row of jars with random nuts and bolts and springs for various things. I still go over there and look through those jars when I need an random nut or spring and I can't find one at the hardware store.

Walks
09-07-2021, 03:01 PM
Big Peanut Butter jars & small plastic boxes for bullets.
MTM & Flambeau cartridge boxes for brass. Big Ziplock baggies for unprocessed range brass.

Jim22
09-07-2021, 03:15 PM
Re bullets... I bought a whole pile of blue, plastic bullet storage boxes from Midway, over a decade back, when they were on Clearance -- to be discontinued (and they were) -- and frankly have not been able to find more. Bion, I have been using the cardboard boxes NOE Moulds came in, and similar, of late...
BEST!
geo

I bought some of those un divided boxes from Midway as well. As you say they quit carring the for a while. I looked a couple months ago and they weree back in a different color so I stocked up. Might want to look back once in a while.

Jim

bedbugbilly
09-07-2021, 03:29 PM
I usually store my cast boolits in clear peanut, peanut butter jars - print up labels as to what they are and tape it to the jar. Other containers I sometimes use are the 1 lb. plastic ground coffee jars with the pop on tops - not clear but a nice size and I just tape a label to the outside.

My brass all gets stored in "totes" - the smallest being a "shoe box" size - larger ones for brass I have a good quantity of such as 9mm, .380 acp, 38 spl, 357 and 45 Colt. If I want to segregate any of the brass, I usually put it in a large zip lock freezer bag and then in the tote. It might sound like a lot of brass but after years of picking up range brass, buying larger quantities, etc. - it sort of accumulates and sometimes I swear it reproduces as well! LOL As an example . . . I only got hooked on 223 a couple of years ago - a friend let me shoot his AR - ow I'm not a AR person - I'm more of an old "lever gun" guy, etc. - but I bought a Ruger bolt action 223. Seems like every time I run across brass, there was always a bunch of 223 among it and it wasn't long before I had enough that will outlast me and my lifetime I'm sure - but - I have it just in case I "need" it. LOL The totes stack easily under my loading bench and the boolits in their containers are nearby on shelves - serrated into calibers.

rcslotcar
09-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Plastic flat sided "Friskies Temptations" containers. Those can get to 25-30 pounds when full though.

Green Frog
09-07-2021, 03:47 PM
One type I haven’t seen listed is the clear type with screw lid that comes with cut fruit (grapefruit, oranges, etc) holding about a half gallon or so each. With squared off sides they fit and stack well in whatever shelf space is available. Here are a few ready to go to the basement. I sometimes indulge my weakness for mixed nuts in large containers. The coffee “cans” now aren’t, but they can be used if I get desperate.

Froggie

foesgth
09-07-2021, 03:55 PM
Plastic flat sided "Friskies Temptations" containers. Those can get to 25-30 pounds when full though.

My cats also provide these for me to use. They work well and I seem to end up with more each month...

gmsharps
09-07-2021, 04:07 PM
These work for me. I had some spare 2x6's from project and made the shelves. Don't have to worry about the shelves bending

gmsharps

tward
09-07-2021, 06:34 PM
I use Advantus super stackers. They are available on Amazon. They are clear, have a locking top are reinforced and are stackable. Mine are for 4x6 file cards. I find that when full they are as heavy as I choose to lift. I label them on the top and sides. With the top removed you have great access to your boolits.288379ps cheaper in quantity on Amazon Tim

Soundguy
09-07-2021, 07:12 PM
Nice.

Similar jars to what I use.

Shuz
09-07-2021, 07:59 PM
I use the plastic jugs that mixed nuts and other snacks come in at Costco. Sturdy, can be stacked, see thru, and best of all cheap, (if you don't count the nuts!):lol:

nannyhammer
09-07-2021, 07:59 PM
I use the small plastic flat tubs from lunch meats. Could be a little bigger but they stack great and last a long time.

GregLaROCHE
09-08-2021, 01:19 AM
These work for me. I had some spare 2x6's from project and made the shelves. Don't have to worry about the shelves bending

gmsharps

How are you holding those shelves in place? Do only screws in the sides hold all that weight? If so, I might try it.

Mr_Sheesh
09-08-2021, 03:47 AM
ULine and TAP Plastics sell the square jugs with large lids I use, tho I do have quite a number I got from cat treats and so on, as well.

kevin c
09-08-2021, 04:18 AM
My needs seem to be different from many, in that for the past few years I've been reloading a lot of 9x19 for action pistol but little else. One main load using one boolit, one powder, one primer.

The boolits are stored in small plastic buckets of ~800 or in small crates of ~3000. Since they're all the same, the only labeling difference is date of production.

I have an obscene amount of 9mm brass. I used to store prepped brass in ZipLok bags of 400, one per reloading session and packed into 5 gallon buckets or plastic storage crates. Then I moved to bags of 1000 stored in big ULine bins. Now I just dump then straight into the buckets. It is labeled by headstamp, though.

Sasquatch-1
09-08-2021, 07:36 AM

gmsharps

I really hate organized people!!!:kidding::bigsmyl2:

Bigslug
09-08-2021, 08:36 AM
+1 on Temptations cat treat containers - it seems to be a pretty common size for various other pet treats as well. Clear, square, at about the limit of what you'd want to move when full of lead - it's a pretty good answer.

dverna
09-08-2021, 08:40 AM

gmsharps

You did a nice job on that!!!

Burnt Fingers
09-08-2021, 09:02 AM
Five gallon buckets for 9mm, 45 ACP, .223/5.56, 10mm, and 308/7.62 brass. Clear shoe boxes or pretzel jars for the rest.

Boolits...shotshell ammo cans for the most used boolits. Discontinued Sterilite containers for the rest.

Burnt Fingers
09-08-2021, 09:04 AM
I use Advantus super stackers. They are available on Amazon. They are clear, have a locking top are reinforced and are stackable. Mine are for 4x6 file cards. I find that when full they are as heavy as I choose to lift. I label them on the top and sides. With the top removed you have great access to your boolits.288379ps cheaper in quantity on Amazon Tim

Do you have a link to those boxes at that price?

GhostHawk
09-08-2021, 09:06 AM
Another + for Temptations jars. Also empty marrowbones dog treats jars. And Cascade dishwasher pod containers. Rectangular with a flip top lid, they stack well. 9mm brass, .40sw brass and .45acp brass are in boxes. Sold as a 25lb box for extremely reasonable prices by my local range. I normally grab about 130 citric acid wash, and accept that there will be some splits, squished or other unusable in there. A citric acid wash clean primer pocket and dry and they are ready to go. They don't look new but they don't have to. And I have no time waiting on tumbling etc. I can have a batch of brass done in an hour. A little time drying and they are ready to be resized, primed and loaded.

Mr_Sheesh
09-08-2021, 10:30 AM
My guess is that that wood storage unit is glued and screwed i.e. you glue the boards and while the glue is still wet, tighten the screws down, makes pretty bomb proof storage furniture. (Clean up excess glue once the screws are tight unless you like doing things the hard way!)

Soundguy
09-08-2021, 11:41 AM

gmsharps

I had to comment on that again. Very nice. And with lumber prices as such... A good investment...

15meter
09-08-2021, 02:00 PM
Zip lock bags.

But I have 9 of the old blue print cabinets. Almost 4'x3'x3" drawers' and 4 drawers per unit.

THE best tool cabinets you can buy.

They aren't too deep that you get multiple layers of "stuff" piled in each drawer.

bangerjim
09-08-2021, 02:26 PM
Whatever WalMArt sells in the way of storage containers! And tons of those Costco screw-lid nut/candy/snack jars as above.

bangerjim
09-08-2021, 02:28 PM
I use the plastic jugs that mixed nuts and other snacks come in at Costco. Sturdy, can be stacked, see thru, and best of all cheap, (if you don't count the nuts!):lol:

.......Or count the extra pounds of body fat added by all those snacks!

bangerjim..................guilty as charged! :2 drunk buddies:

fredj338
09-08-2021, 07:05 PM
I store my bullets in card board boxes, mostly from bullet manuf. I store my brass in the large plastic nut containers you see at Costco & such. They stack nicely, hold a decent amount of brass.

gmsharps
09-08-2021, 07:12 PM
How are you holding those shelves in place? Do only screws in the sides hold all that weight? If so, I might try it.

I put a piece of 3/8 plywood for the back and put screws into the 2x6's . So far no bowing.

gmsharps

Sasquatch-1
09-09-2021, 07:35 AM
I also found some cream cheese storage containers at Big Lots. They were a dollar a piece and hold about 103 to 106 swaged 240 grn. soft point bullets. There are some of the ammo trays from 9mm that fit perfectly into the box for 9mm. with a little foam rubber on top they will work for 380 also. A standard semi wadcutter 38spl is too long although a wadcutter will fit.

JimB..
09-09-2021, 07:53 AM
Do you have a link to those boxes at that price?

Best price I’ve found is at Staples, just over $3 each. Still looking for cheaper!

Krag1902
09-09-2021, 08:50 AM
I found that the empty plastic boxes sold full of .22 magnum and .17 RF Mag. have lids and hold upright exactly fifty lubed .30 caliber bullets of 311284 length. Their preferred habitat is in the trash barrels of any public shooting range.

GhostHawk
09-09-2021, 09:17 AM
Bullets I have learned to use cheap food grade plastic storage boxes with snap on lids.

I have 2 of these, one with .30 cal bullets, lubed, the other with .357 bullets, lubed but missing the top.
They were cast and lubed within a few days of each other.

The bullets in the sealed container although cast 5 years ago look like they were just cast.

The ones in the open container have gotten very dark, and I expect to see white oxidation occurring shortly.

Cast em, lube em, stack them, seal them, forget them. They will be there when you need them.

Walmart has 4 pack for 3$. I suspect they can be found for cheaper than this.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rubbermaid-TakeAlongs-Food-Storage-Containers-Deep-Squares-5-2-Cup-4-Pack/16664719

Mr_Sheesh
09-09-2021, 09:58 AM
GhostHawk, you could try adding a "saran wrap" type film to the 357 box and twist it up & tape it to seal it?

Sasquatch-1
09-09-2021, 12:15 PM
Bullets I have learned to use cheap food grade plastic storage boxes with snap on lids.

I have 2 of these, one with .30 cal bullets, lubed, the other with .357 bullets, lubed but missing the top.
They were cast and lubed within a few days of each other.

The bullets in the sealed container although cast 5 years ago look like they were just cast.

The ones in the open container have gotten very dark, and I expect to see white oxidation occurring shortly.

Cast em, lube em, stack them, seal them, forget them. They will be there when you need them.

Walmart has 4 pack for 3$. I suspect they can be found for cheaper than this.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rubbermaid-TakeAlongs-Food-Storage-Containers-Deep-Squares-5-2-Cup-4-Pack/16664719

It doesn't really matter. If they hit something living they are going to give it lead poisoning whether or not they are kept fresh.:groner:

j4570
09-09-2021, 05:28 PM
All of the previous mentioned items.

In addition, I use Talenti ice cream containers. My kids eat a pint each whenever it’s on sale. Just don’t put them in the dishwasher, it will distort them. Wash them by hand.

Wild Bill 7
09-09-2021, 08:00 PM
Cases are put in rectangular plastic boxes with snap on lids, stacked 4 high. Label in the inside to let me know what brass is in them. All boolits stored in ammo cans stacked 3 high. All this is under my loading bench. Loaded ammo in ammo cans stacked in a closet in the house. Everything is labeled with a paper and scotch taped on the front of the can. If things change, off comes the tape and new label placed on the can. All the brass is prepped and ready to load. All brass from a shooting session is stored in any kind of container labeled so I can keep it separate. Also have 5 gallon buckets of 223, 45, 38, 9mm for backup.

MT Gianni
09-10-2021, 11:59 AM
Used medium and large flat rate boxes from the mail get labelled for brass. Large quantities of older brass get tossed in a plastic bag with a teaspoon of cooking oil, shaken up and tied shut. I believe it reduces corrosion.
Bullets get put in nut jars, if lubed they get put in quart sip locks if in small quantities. Storage goes in small boxes labelled by caliber.

45-70 Chevroner
09-10-2021, 02:53 PM
The best one's that I have found are nut, and candy containers from Costco. I have been collecting these for years. Nice clear and square containers, put a label on them and your done.

Land Owner
09-10-2021, 03:53 PM
Four (4) 4-drawer filing cabinets (LOAD Test) in the 2nd floor reloading room work for me (may not be sufficient for those with more than 16 calibers), steel ammo cans in the shed for brass (not shown), and "miscellaneous" in an assortment of containers from sandwich meats, spaghetti sauce, mayo, peanut butter, and pretzels, to name a few on a shelf at eye level.

https://i.postimg.cc/nhrRmsdz/STORAGE.jpg..........https://i.postimg.cc/8PtXsdm9/SHELF.jpg

GhostHawk
09-10-2021, 10:04 PM
Mr Sheesh, yes I could. I actually have covers on all my cast boolits except that one. I'm kind of leaving it as a gauge. Gives me an idea of how fast they oxidize.

Anytime my wife is removing older food storage containers with snap top lids I snap them up and put them to work.

Squach1 yes, more about my health than theirs.

Rifletom
09-13-2021, 06:55 PM
I also use the round Folgers plastic containers, those square butter containers and anything else like those for cases. I don't cast my own, so, bullets are in the boxes they come in. Hornady, Missouri, etc. I never knew we drank that much coffee!

captn-tin
09-14-2021, 12:35 PM
I use plastic containers I find at garage sales and thrift stores. Quite a collection of Tupperware, etc. HA

hickfu
09-14-2021, 07:42 PM
Brass is stored in freezer bags, loaded brass is stored the same way but in an ammo can.
Bullets and buckshot is stored in plastic tubs I get at the dollar store.

38lbs of powder coated 00Buck in each

2A-Jay
09-14-2021, 08:12 PM
I repurpose the containers that my cats treats come in, they have screw on lids. I also collect Wood Cigar boxes that the nearest Smoke shop saves for me.

oley55
09-18-2021, 07:02 PM
the plastic fast food containers work pretty good for small batches, but are a bit weak filled full of lead. the clear plastic nut jars and tennis ball jars are good as well.

dondiego
09-18-2021, 07:23 PM
The Chinese carryout containers that I get are cheap Styrofoam. Good chinese though!

ACC
09-18-2021, 07:41 PM
My workshop is in desperate need of an update. I'm planning on shelves and I need to organize my brass and boolits better. Could you guys give some pictures and inspiration for me on which direction I should go? I'm mainly trying to figure out which clear containers I can use and label.

Ziploc bags for brass. Rubber Maid Tall containers for bullets.

ACC

tdoor4570
09-18-2021, 08:09 PM
For brass I am using the plastic shoe boxs from the dollar store. for boolits I am using some plastic sample containers that i picked up in a yard sale , each one will hold about 250 slugs depending on cal and weight of the slugs. mold number and size are on the top . E Z to see which I need more of.

alamogunr
09-18-2021, 08:13 PM
Like several others, I use peanut butter jars and square nut jars for boolits. I used to use the tall wide mouth plastic jars that Miracle Whip salad dressing came in. They changed to smaller mouth and now we throw them away.

For brass I use big square containers that construction screws come in. A friend owns a construction supply and always has empties. I also use gallon ice cream buckets and tall Folgers coffee cans. The coffee cans hold almost as much as the ice cream buckets.

The Folgers cans aren't clear but wide blue painters tape and a Sharpie can hold a full description of contents.

WinchesterM1
09-19-2021, 09:06 AM
Are use these containers from the dollar tree they stack well they have a nice tight lid best off they’re cheap I keep one of raw as cast powder coated bullets and then another for different sizes and then I put them in a row. They hold quite a lot 5-600 30 cal bullets and like 2000 32 auto bullets lol288952. For brass I have 3 gallon buckets with lids(ask any local bakeries to save them for you I get mine for free) and I keep uncleaned brass in one and then cleaned and polished brass in a big 3 drawer divider from walmart

PhilC
09-19-2021, 05:42 PM
Clear 36oz Milkbone containers with screw on lids, my yellow lab gets the treats and I get the empty container. One will hold 270+ 308 cases, 1k 124gr 9mm bullets, fill with corn cob or walnut media, etc.

Bashby
09-22-2021, 08:31 AM
I’ve been using mayonnaise and peanut butter jars for boolits and cat litter jugs for brass.289071289072

Beaverhunter2
09-24-2021, 12:07 PM
We go through a lot of the big jars of peanut M&Ms from Sam's. They work great. Just know a jar full of boolits weighs over 25lbs. Handle with a little care....

bruce381
09-26-2021, 11:44 PM
all my brass is in medium postal shipping boxed free my tax dollars, and bullets in the standard 500 round size from casters at the shows like 3x2x8 ordered from amazon or somewhere.