PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have a .45 ACP carbine and hunt with it?

roverboy
09-06-2021, 10:05 PM
Just wondered if anybody has a .45 ACP carbine. I've been thinking about getting one to work up a load for it, and maybe use it for a short range/woods deer rifle. A friend casts Lee 230 gr. FP, that looks good.

Anschutz
09-06-2021, 10:14 PM
I do not but in the terrain (West Central GA) I grew up hunting where shots were 60 yards max, I think it would be pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

405grain
09-07-2021, 12:22 AM
I've got a Mauser that I converted to a 45acp carbine. The only thing I've hunted with it were ground squirrels. Mostly it's a fun gun to shoot at the range. I have better options, so I wouldn't consider it for deer size game. It's funny how people on the internet will respond that a 45acp is way too light for deer hunting, but those same people wouldn't think twice about using a 45 caliber muzzleloader with similar ballistics. Here's my thoughts on using a 45acp carbine for deer: 1. shot placement is critical. There isn't going to be hydraulic shock from such a slow bullet, so disabling vital organs is key. You'll need to practice, practice, practice to know that you can hit your mark. Once you have your rifle sighted in, get up from the shooting bench and train yourself to shoot in the positions that you'll be taking in the field.

2. with this round penetration is more important than expansion. Many people have said before that some bullets might expand out to 45 caliber, but a 45 isn't going to shrink. Bullets from a 45acp are already big enough in diameter to create a decent wound channel. With that in mind, choose the heaviest boolit that cycles reliably. This will give you the best penetration, which is important if you need to get through bone.

3. Use a bullet with the largest meplat that will cycle reliably. Round nose bullets may cycle more reliably, but they can also pencil right through without creating a good wound channel. Hollow points might not expand good at 45 acp velocities, (and you don't really need much expansion if the bullet is already 45 caliber). Use what you have, but a heavy bullet with a good meplat should work best under these limitations.

4. Your not going to get "high velocity" from a 45 acp carbine. Usually the longer barrel only gets you about 50 to 75 more fps. There's only so much powder that will fit into that smaller case. Using a lighter bullet, like a 185 grain swc, will only get you less penetration. The small increase in velocity won't equate to more killing power on the game. In example: you need a bullet that will penetrate a shoulder blade and still have enough energy to bust up the internal organs or break the spine. A lighter, faster slug might look sexy, but a bigger, heavier slug is your friend and will get the job done even at slower velocity.

The 45 acp cartridge was designed as a defensive pistol round with the intent of disabling humans that are intent on doing you harm. It does this task quite well. But for hunting medium sized game from a carbine length rifle it can be optimized to give you the best performance. Even then, it should be considered a short range cartridge and I would not recommend it for shots much beyond 70 or 80 yards. One last note - in 1911 pistols I've always used unique, but in a carbine I've found that HS-6 works better.

kingrj
09-07-2021, 05:14 AM
I have hunted deer for the last several years now with a .45 acp handgun (actually .45 Super) as well as several deer killed with a .45 Colt. A .45 acp carbine should work just fine with the heavier flat nosed bullets as has been suggested. Expansion of the bullet is not nearly as important as penetration to be effective on deer shot at less than perfect angles. As "405grain" said...slower powders will give better results in a carbine. Powders in the burn range of PowerPistol, LongShot and BlueDot should be able to give you worthwile velocity increase behind heavy bullets (I hunt with 255 grain cast flat nose). If you load to the +P level you may see 1000 fps with the heavy bullets. Good hunting!

ohen cepel
09-07-2021, 07:23 AM
Another vote to look into the 45 Super if building or going custom with it.

Within the limits of the round it will work fine. Check your state laws to be sure you're OK using it. Not sure it would meet my current states ME requirement.

GhostHawk
09-07-2021, 07:30 AM
I have a ,45acp Hipoint carbine. I think my days in the deer woods are over, but I would have no qualms about using mine for that.

At 100 yards it was making groups smaller than a soda can. That is good enough with a good shot to put one where it needs to go.

09-07-2021, 08:37 AM
I like the 45 Carbine concept, but would not go out and buy one for deer hunting. I would spend the money on something that is better for the intended purpose. A pump shotgun with slugs or a 450 Bushmaster comes to mind. The Bushmaster could share some commonality with the 45ACP-same rim, bullet size, and could use pistol primers and some of the same powders for light loads.

gunseller
09-07-2021, 09:06 AM
A heavy flat nose bullet. If I was going to get carbine in 45acp I would look for one of the old Marlins. They use 1911 mags and all of my 45acp handguns are 1911 style. I have shot deer with a 1911 pistol at about 50 yards. Got little movement and it was down. Remember shoot till it is down or out of sight. So what if you damage 10 pounds of meat when the 1st shot was fatal. You did not know for sure it was. I will loose 10 pounds of meat to gain 100. Good luck and have fun.
Steve

jcren
09-07-2021, 11:28 AM
I have a hi-point as well, and while I have not gotten a deer with it yet, I have killed several hogs with it. Don't get too worried about heavy bullets and magnum powders, I was working up hot 230-255 grain loads until I had a shot at a hog that went close to 200 pounds one night. Just had my 200 grain lee rf possum popper/target load in the mag, but from 70 yards, 2 shots, 2 hits, 2 pass throughs, 1 dead hog.

roverboy
09-07-2021, 01:42 PM
If I get one I'm gonna try to work up a load +p level or hotter. maybe try and work up to Super. 230 gr. Lee fp should be good. Shots will be a max of about 75 yards. With most at around 30 yards. Thanks

Mk42gunner
09-07-2021, 07:12 PM
A heavy flat nose bullet. If I was going to get carbine in 45acp I would look for one of the old Marlins. They use 1911 mags and all of my 45acp handguns are 1911 style. I have shot deer with a 1911 pistol at about 50 yards. Got little movement and it was down. Remember shoot till it is down or out of sight. So what if you damage 10 pounds of meat when the 1st shot was fatal. You did not know for sure it was. I will loose 10 pounds of meat to gain 100. Good luck and have fun.
Steve
This is a good point to remember with any game/ cartridge combo, not just the marginal ones.

It is also one of the reasons I prefer to blow through the shoulder into the heart/lung region, as opposed to a behind the shoulder rib only shot. It helps anchor whatever I'm shooting at.

Robert

Dthunter
09-08-2021, 11:10 AM
A couple years ago I built a 45ACP rifle on a savage 112, series-j. It is a target rifle with no metal machined out for a magazine well.

I changed the bolt head to a .308 size to accommodate the ACP case.

The barrel is a 20.5” full bull stainless.

The trigger is set for under a pound. I wound up with a 45ACP/Super in a precision platform. Lol!

Why? Because I wanted to see what could be squeezed out of this cartridge. And later I can rechamber for a 450 Bushmaster If I like.

This rifle can shoot as many groups at 1MOA as just over. I have had more than a few groups under the inch mark.

All In all, I would guess the average group size would be 1-1/4” or less.

I am using Longshot mostly, but I use a powder a bit slower to max out my velocities.

I will likely take a Mule Deer doe with my 250 grain XTP load. They mushroom beautifully out to around 125 yards. This little rifle is allot of fun!

CastingFool
09-08-2021, 09:27 PM
a few years back, I had a chance to buy a Marlin camp carbine chambered in 45acp for $200. Hesitated a bit too long, and lost it to someone else. I kick myself every time I think about it. It would have been for plinking and stuff like that. The 45 acp is not legal to hunt deer in Michigan, too short.

dk17hmr
09-08-2021, 10:46 PM
I have a Savage bolt action with a 45acp barrel on it. I'd use it for hunting if it were legal here. It'll out 300blk the 300blk for both subs and supers. 165gr hydra shock at 1920fps is wicked on jackrabbits. 250-260gr at 1050fps is pretty easy to get and pretty quiet with the can.

dk17hmr
09-08-2021, 10:52 PM
.....The 45 acp is not legal to hunt deer in Michigan, too short.

I don't believe that is the case north of the limited firearm zone.

Larry Gibson
09-09-2021, 09:50 AM
Just wondered if anybody has a .45 ACP carbine. I've been thinking about getting one to work up a load for it, and maybe use it for a short range/woods deer rifle. A friend casts Lee 230 gr. FP, that looks good.

If you get a semi auto, which is what is commercially available, you're pretty much restricted to standard/+P loads. Those are blow back actions so heavier loads can batter the actions. With a 16" barrel the Lee 230 TC bullet over 5 gr of Bullseye (standard 45 ACP load) will run 1000 fps +. That is quite sufficient for short range deer. A 220 - 230 gr GC'd TC or SWC would be better loaded over 7.5 gr Unique (+P pressure) at 1200+ fps.

You can go a "custom" bolt action or a single shot and load to even better ballistics with cast or jacketed. I can push the 185 or 200 gr XTPs to 1400 fps or the 245 gr GC'd 452490 SWC to 1200+ fps over Unique or to 1400 with a couple other powders. Measured psi's are in the +P++ so those, obviously, would not be good to use in a semi auto.

My M98 Mauser with Rhineland conversion to 45 ACP;

dverna
09-09-2021, 10:02 AM
This is what the Hornady 230 XTP bullet will do in ballistic gel:

https://www.luckygunner.com/hornady-45-acp-ammo-for-sale-45acpp230xtphornady-20#geltest

Granted this is at close range so how it performs as velocity drops is a question. But at less than 50 yards it should get the job done. Note the gun used in the test was a short barrel Kahr. With a carbine and slower powders velocity will be higher. Going form a 4" to 18" barrel should add 100 fps or more.

Would I use it? No, but I have better options. Will it work? I would not want to be the deer that gets tagged with it.

One last consideration for the OP. If you use it for deer hunting, check your state rules on magazine capacity. Just loading 5 rounds in a higher capacity magazine will not be compliant. You must physically limit the capacity of the magazine.

CastingFool
09-09-2021, 10:16 AM
I don't believe that is the case north of the limited firearm zone.

I checked the hunting digest, and I believe you are correct. I hunt the limited firearm zone, but if I had a chance to hunt north of the LFZ, the 45 acp would not be my choice of cartridge.
To hunt with a centerfire rifle in the LFZ, the cartridge must be straight walled,.35 caliber or larger, case must be between 1.16" and 1.8" long. The 45 acp case is only .898"

Butzbach
09-09-2021, 10:53 AM
Not to hyjack this thread, but hoping that those who responded here might know. Are there any .45 carbine / pistol combos that share magazines?

gunseller
09-09-2021, 07:59 PM
The old marlin camp carbine uses 1911 mags. The TNZ uses glock mags.
Steve

Butzbach
09-09-2021, 08:13 PM
The old marlin camp carbine uses 1911 mags. The TNZ uses glock mags.
Steve

Thanks for the intel. So for the TNZ, either Glock 21 or 41 mags?

jcren
09-09-2021, 09:15 PM
I found a guy that makes a mag catch conversion to use 1911 mags in my hi-point. Pretty cheap and can't see any difference in feed reliability.

Cosmic_Charlie
09-09-2021, 09:38 PM
I converted a Yugo Mauser to .45acp about 20 years ago. Darn accurate and quiet as a .22. Rhinelander kit.

Cast10
09-10-2021, 08:03 AM
Check out MechTech Systems for an ‘upper’ that attaches to a 1911 or Glock frame. I have one in 10mm for my Glock. 180gr XTP at 1180 fps will kill a hog out to 100 yards easily. Just begun casting and PC and haven’t tagged a hog yet with boolits. They are fun. They make them in 45ACP. 16” barrel.

BTW - 1180 fps comes from the G20; The MechTech is about 350 fps faster.

EMC45
09-10-2021, 08:57 AM
I've hit the woods with my Marlin Camp45 with HydraShok HPs in the past when I lived in GA. Never saw any deer.....

dverna
09-10-2021, 09:18 AM
Check out MechTech Systems for an ‘upper’ that attaches to a 1911 or Glock frame. I have one in 10mm for my Glock. 180gr XTP at 1180 fps will kill a hog out to 100 yards easily. Just begun casting and PC and haven’t tagged a hog yet with boolits. They are fun. They make them in 45ACP. 16” barrel.

Those are neat. When I was starting to prep I thought they would be ideal and got one. They are surprisingly accurate. Sold it after a couple of years as I realized there were better options for when the SHTF.

PositiveCaster
09-10-2021, 04:11 PM
I’ve had my M45 Camp Carbine for well over 20 years and have taken a few deer and small hogs with it. I loaded the Hornady 200XTP using a published 21,000 cup load of AA-7 for 1208 fps in my barrel. This bullet is not as soft as some might think, as none were recovered from deer and only one from a hog. This load comes pretty close to a factory .44-40 rifle load and performs well with good expansion and resulting wound channel.

I did replace the recoil spring with a heavy one, but this load doesn’t beat up the little M45. Today I might use the Hornady Critical Defense ammunition which uses the same bullet, only slightly slower. I do consider this rig to be a 50 yard max rifle - but that was just fine where I hunted with it.

koger
09-11-2021, 11:07 AM
Mech Tec makes a upper, for a 1911 for around $400. You take the slide and barrel of your 1911, drop their upper on it. I have a buddy who has one and he really likes it.

herian67
09-11-2021, 11:23 AM
Check out Macon Armory.He has both direct impingement and blow back models.I have his DI upper for a few years now.Accurate and very quiet even with no can.Only shot one hog with it,cast 230 grain went right through it at 20 yards.

NavyGuns45
09-16-2021, 07:57 PM
I just finished working up a load for my bolt action .45 ACP I built on a Lee Enfield No.4 action with a 24" barrel. I wanted an accurate hunting load to shoot suppressed. I am using the Speer .451" 260 grain J-word loaded to 1.248" COAL with standard Winchester brass. If the moderators strip my load data, I understand - I worked it up for MY RIFLE and you should work up a safe load for YOUR RIFLE. I would NEVER try this in a blow-back firearm, my rifle fully supports the case and is bolt action! Got it? Good. I wasn't getting the consistency I wanted with Unique or Herco. Blue Dot is a great candidate except for it's so dirty (someone once called it "flaming dirt") and I didn't want that much residue in my can. I may come back to this for my Lee 452-255-RF boolit that will be powder coated and not sent through my can. With the Speer + Blue Dot I laddered up past the 8.3 grains max published (Lee manual) and got to 10.0 grains which gave me 5 shots @ 1100 fps AVE with 25.0 spread and 10.0 standard deviation. Soooo... I switched over to Longshot for which I had no published .45 ACP data. I found some .45 Super load data for heavy bullets posted on a Glock forum and backed off what they had to start. I stopped at 7.8 grains of Longshot with the 260 grain Speer at 1.248" which gave me a very accurate 10-shot group averaging 1084.5 fps, 32 ES, 8.6 SD. If I took the one low (1063) round out, the ES was 14 and SD only 4.3 fps. Nice and clean, and should still stay subsonic in colder air.

HollowPoint
09-16-2021, 08:31 PM
I understand the reservations some might have about using the 45 ACP round for deer hunting due to the ballistics but at the same time I really can't fault those who do hunt with the 45 ACP cartridge.

I think it's because I've hunted deer, coyote, rabbits, fox and a few other critters with a bow and arrow with good success. Also hunted with a 45 caliber SamYang air rifle. The ballistics of an arrow shot out of your typical traditional recurve bow pale in comparison to the ballistics of a 45 caliber bullet shot at the same ranges.

Just my two cents worth of opinion, which I admit -due to inflation- isn't even worth two cents now days.

HollowPoint

Ickisrulz
10-08-2021, 07:15 PM
Not to hyjack this thread, but hoping that those who responded here might know. Are there any .45 carbine / pistol combos that share magazines?

Check out Stern Defense. They make uppers in pistol calibers for the AR15. You use one of their adapters for that use M&P pistol magazines.

https://getstern.com/conversion-kits/kits-45acp/

Larry Gibson
10-09-2021, 11:37 AM
I just finished working up a load for my bolt action .45 ACP I built on a Lee Enfield No.4 action with a 24" barrel. I wanted an accurate hunting load to shoot suppressed. I am using the Speer .451" 260 grain J-word loaded to 1.248" COAL with standard Winchester brass. If the moderators strip my load data, I understand - I worked it up for MY RIFLE and you should work up a safe load for YOUR RIFLE. I would NEVER try this in a blow-back firearm, my rifle fully supports the case and is bolt action! Got it? Good. I wasn't getting the consistency I wanted with Unique or Herco. Blue Dot is a great candidate except for it's so dirty (someone once called it "flaming dirt") and I didn't want that much residue in my can. I may come back to this for my Lee 452-255-RF boolit that will be powder coated and not sent through my can. With the Speer + Blue Dot I laddered up past the 8.3 grains max published (Lee manual) and got to 10.0 grains which gave me 5 shots @ 1100 fps AVE with 25.0 spread and 10.0 standard deviation. Soooo... I switched over to Longshot for which I had no published .45 ACP data. I found some .45 Super load data for heavy bullets posted on a Glock forum and backed off what they had to start. I stopped at 7.8 grains of Longshot with the 260 grain Speer at 1.248" which gave me a very accurate 10-shot group averaging 1084.5 fps, 32 ES, 8.6 SD. If I took the one low (1063) round out, the ES was 14 and SD only 4.3 fps. Nice and clean, and should still stay subsonic in colder air.

I also have a bolt action rifle chambered for 45 ACP (M98 with Rhineland conversion) in which I have worked up 45 ACP +P+P+P loads which, as NavyGuns45 states "SHOULD NEVER EVER BE USED IN ANY BLOW BACK OR EVEN SEMI-AUTO INTENDED FOR STANDARD 45 acp LOADS."

I have, in the past, pushed a 245 gr GC'd cast bullet upwards of 1400 fps but that bullet seated deeply limiting powder capacity and didn't feed that well so I didn't work further with it. Recently I picked up, from a member her, a Pat marlin 45 can PB check maker. I found checks made with .006 beer can fit nicely on Lee's 452-230-TC. That is my standard bullet for use in the 45 ACP rifle and over 5 gr bullseye runs right at 1010 fps and is very quiet when suppressed. I had some already cast, sized and lubed so I put the GCs on them. They weigh 235 gr fully dressed. I initially worked with BlueDot, 2400, H110, IMR4227, Lil'Gun. All but IMR4227 pushed 1350 - 1450 fps at 100% load density with very good accuracy (sub 2" at 50 yards with 10 shots). I then tried HS-6 and hit real pay dirt, so to speak. At 12 gr I was chronographing (Oehler M35P) the GC'd TC bullet at 1600 fps with 3" ten shot group at 100 yards:guntootsmiley:

I will now load some of the 2400, H110, Lil'Gun and HS-6 loads and actually pressure test them. Another member here (Bjorn) ran the first loads thru QL and none exceeded 40,000 psi. The WLP primers were just beginning to flatten with the HS-6 load.

Again, these loads are safe in bolt actions such as mine and NavyGuns45 and probably in custom breakopen single shots (if those actions are made for CF rifle cartridges also) only. I may just hunt some pigs and perhaps deer over Texas way and wouldn't hesitate to use this load. I do mark the primers and bullet tips with a red permanent marker to differentiate them from my standard 45 ACP loads. I also would only load enough for hunting with the M98 and then shoot up the remaining after the hunt so none would be sitting around to be inadvertently used by anyone else.

THE LOADS DESCRIBED SHOULD NEVER EVER BE USED IN ANY BLOW BACK OR EVEN SEMI-AUTO INTENDED FOR STANDARD 45 acp LOADS."

405grain
10-09-2021, 01:06 PM
Larry: I agree with you about HS-6. I don't push my 45acp carbine loads quite as hot as you, but have found that in a rifle HS-6 gives me the best accuracy. NavyGuns45 description of Blue Dot as "flaming dirt" was hilarious and way too true. In my experience Blue Dot can get slightly higher velocities, but is no where near as accurate as either HS-6 or Unique, and only starts to burning clean at the higher (and less accurate) load levels. It will be interesting to hear Larry's report, but I'm going to make a prediction on H110. I don't think H110 will get to the pressure levels that will allow it to burn efficiently in this cartridge. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that I think that H110's slower burn rate will mean that the bullet will be farther down the bore, and the area that the powder gas has to expand into will be greater, so that it may not be possible to get enough powder into that small case to develop the pressure for an efficient burn. That's just a guess; when Larry does the testing the truth will come out.
I only reload, and haven't bought a a factory round of ammo since 1982 (except 22lr). No matter what the load level I mark all my 45acp loads as "For carbine use only. Not for pistol use." I know what I've got, but moochers might not. This helps keep things safe.

HumptyDumpty
10-09-2021, 10:09 PM
I just purchased a Turkish Mauser project gun, for the express purpose of building it into a 45 Super carbine. My intention is to push 200 grain projectiles as fast as possible, using 460 Rowland data as my upper-limit. I have reason to believe that velocities in excess of 1500 fps may be possible.

NavyGuns45
10-10-2021, 11:25 AM
Humpty - you should have no problem doing that, I've put 230 grain Lee TC boolets out at 1,550 in standard .45 ACP cases with my bolt action, same load got 1,500 with 230 Hornady XTP. It was a very stout charge of Blue Dot and I did not record my OAL. Can't say what the accuracy was, didn't check!

HumptyDumpty
10-10-2021, 02:57 PM
Humpty - you should have no problem doing that, I've put 230 grain Lee TC boolets out at 1,550 in standard .45 ACP cases with my bolt action, same load got 1,500 with 230 Hornady XTP. It was a very stout charge of Blue Dot and I did not record my OAL. Can't say what the accuracy was, didn't check!

Well that is encouraging. I'm using Power Pistol for my 45 Super at the moment, which is giving me just just over 1100 FPS, with a 230 grain bullet, from a 5 inch 1911. Going back and forth between 45 Super data/anecdotes and official 460 Rowland data, and considering the strength/safety of the Mauser action, I'm excited to see just what is actually possible. It won't be ready in time for this deer season, but next year will (hopefully) see the carbine in the field. And of course, all manner of pinking shall otherwise be engaged in.

cwlongshot
10-10-2021, 04:48 PM
Even tho I was told at the time... (99$ Mauser conversions) I never bought one. But in 1999 I did buy a Marlin CC in 45!

What a great gun!! I took it one day for a walk in the woods with a friend/land owner as he showed me his land boundary's no side. As he was telling me "directly beyond that marshy area... OOH LOOK at the rack on that deer!!! Shoot him if ya wa... BANG.. nt to. " :) The 230g Gondrn saber separated the vertebra at the base of his neck @ 35-40 yards.

I took a couple pigs with HC FP bullets and one other doe another bang flop this time with a Speer 200g Flying ash tray bullet.

Its a close range thing but has worked 100% for me inside 100yards. I doubt Id push it past 75/80 but it would work.

CW

TyGuy
10-10-2021, 10:35 PM
Check out Macon Armory.He has both direct impingement and blow back models.I have his DI upper for a few years now.Accurate and very quiet even with no can.Only shot one hog with it,cast 230 grain went right through it at 20 yards.

I second this! Rudy at Macon Armory makes what I believe to be the best PCC uppers out there. His direct impingement .45ACP is a smooth and easy shooting as a .22. I have a DI 7.62x25 upper on order with him that I can’t wait to get my hands on. He’s also just a great guy. I just chatted with him at Knob Creek on Saturday. Check him out

Tracy
10-11-2021, 03:53 AM
Yep, Rudy is a great guy. Sorry I didn't get to make it to the Creek this time.

Hillbilly69
09-16-2022, 10:08 PM

Yes i hunt deer with a 45acp.
Glock 21 to be exact.
No problems with shots out to 100 to 150 feet.
Just use common sense for shot placement.
I prefer 255 grain hardcast +P ammo.
U gut shoot one and then ull have to follow a blood trail... If there is one...

Doughty
09-17-2022, 10:22 AM
I've been shooting some 245 grain Lee .45 bullets (a Lee 230 TC mold that casts heavy) using Ramshot Enforcer. Getting 975 fps out of my S&W 645. I don't have pressure testing equipment, but the fired case's primers don't show any signs of high pressure. You might want to check out this Shooting Times article.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/fast-loads-for-the-45-acp/99214

gliebegott
09-17-2022, 11:39 AM
Have a camp carbine in 45 ACP. Have never shot a deer with it since we cant use semi here in PA. I cant see it not doing the job with the right round. Had a mauser in 45 a while back and it took down coyotes and with ease.

Good Cheer
09-17-2022, 11:53 AM
For a very versatile rifle, considered getting a break over single shot rebored to .45ACP so it could be used with either .45ACP ammo, breech loaded like a Civil War carbine or muzzleloaded with either hollow base or heavier lubed or paper patched boolits. From a .45ACP plinking round to a 45-70 type penetration and knock-down, it would do it all.

Sixgun Symphony
09-26-2022, 11:35 PM
I did some research on velocities with .45 ACP in different barrel lengths. The results I found are that 10" is the optimum barrel length.

Sixgun Symphony
09-26-2022, 11:38 PM
This has potential. . .

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/tested-iver-johnson-1911a1-carbine/

quilbilly
09-28-2022, 04:15 PM
I have been using patched round ball in my 45 cal muzzleloaders for deer for several decades and inside 90 yards, that 132 gr pill has never failed me. I have passed up a couple shots at decent sized black bear.

elmacgyver0
09-28-2022, 04:47 PM
I did some research on velocities with .45 ACP in different barrel lengths. The results I found are that 10" is the optimum barrel length.

That is about the length of the barrel of my carbine, although if measured would be almost 17 inches.

Larry Gibson
09-28-2022, 05:55 PM

One would have to know what was meant by "optimum".....optimum for what?

If in a Handgun with a single load that probably is pretty close. However, unless one wants to register a carbine with a barrel shorter than 16" as an SBR, pay $200 to BATF + associated costs, then a 10" barrel is neither practical nor optimum for a carbine.

Not too far back I chronographed (10 shot tests) my standard load (5.0 gr Bullseye) under a softer cast (9-10 BHN alloy) Lee 452-230-TC (sized .452, lubed with BAC) in mixed cases with WLP primers seated to 1.199 oal. All were loaded on my Dillon SDB press. An Oehler M35P was used with start screen at 10'.

The chronographed results;

Colt Combat Commander, 4 1/4" barrel: 849 fps

ParaOrdnance 14, 5" barrel: 891 fps

Colt M1911 w/Ed Brown 5 1/2" Comp barrel: 894 fps

Contender, 10" TC barrel: 976 fps

M98 w/Rhineland 16 1/4" barrel: 1025 fps

Uberti ER SAA, 4 3/4" barrel: 866 fps

S&W M1917/25, 6 3/8" barrel: 877 fps