PDA

View Full Version : Browning Gun Shop and Zelle

upnorthwis
09-06-2021, 11:28 AM
Is the Browning Gun Shop a legit site? They want me to set up a Zelle account, which I have never heard of. Called my bank and they said they wouldn't do that and to not give my PIN# to anyone. So are these legit sites?

wv109323
09-06-2021, 11:43 AM
I smell a scam. Zelle is a quick method to send money from your bank account. A legit business should have multiple ways to receive payment. They should not be telling you how you should pay. I would run.

gwpercle
09-06-2021, 12:00 PM
DON'T !
Zelle is a scam tool liget business do not use ...or payments by any kind of Gift Card or Bitcoin !
A fellow member just lost $200.00 with a ammo salethe internet co required a gift card payment ... they got a $200.00 gift card ... guess what he got6 !
Warning ... Danger .... don't go there!
Gary

Burnt Fingers
09-06-2021, 12:57 PM
One hint is to do a whois search for the website. That will tell you how old it is.

https://who.is/whois/browninggunshop.com

This web site was registered on 7/15/2021 and all their contact info goes to a PO Box.

Run...run away.

Super Sneaky Steve
09-06-2021, 01:39 PM
Lots of scam sites popping up. I almost bought some primers at a price that was a little too good until I check them out.

fgd135
09-06-2021, 02:13 PM
Zelle is a legitimate service, even my bank offers it. But that "Browning Gun Shop" is definitely a scam. Words are misspelled on the web site, "Head Quater" instead of "headquarters", for example. The 800 number listed for customer service is actually the number for overstock.com, a totally different company, and the address and phone number listed for their "head quater" is in Australia; googling that phone number comes up with multiple, probably scam, companies with the same email and phone and supposed physical address.

upnorthwis
09-06-2021, 06:56 PM
I noticed the Head Quater too. Have left a message with my FFL dealer to see if he's heard of them. Not looking good. And my bank does not do Zelle either. Probably a good thing. The last thing they offered was to do an American Express gift card. Hmmmmmmmm.

MrWolf
09-06-2021, 07:02 PM
I go by if they do not accept credit cards then I don't bother. There is a Sig Sauer site that is very close to the real one except they do zelle, etc but no credit cards. I called sig and they confirmed they were a scam site. Be very careful.

upnorthwis
09-07-2021, 11:26 AM
Thank you one and all for helping me dodge a bullet (there's a pun in there somewhere). I've found the gun I need at the LGS and actually held it in my hands. I think when the fake site went with the gift card payment they tipped their hand.

sutherpride59
09-11-2021, 11:43 AM
100% scam! Zelle and Venmo charge too much interest for a decent sized business. If the site isn't well know and isn't for a local gun shop I wouldn't even try. When in doubt google the gun shop on maps and find some reviews.