PDA

View Full Version : H&r 999

Texas by God
09-05-2021, 11:38 PM
It's riding around with us this weekend out at the lease. Neat old revolvers; I traded a Hungarian. 32 auto for it a while back and the Missus laid claim to it that same day[emoji16]
She shoots it well and loves the instant ejection of the break open design. It was a full time Mule resident until I bought a Ruger Wrangler. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210906/f0ee1dc6f7f945c27b73073b97bdea5e.jpg

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

uscra112
09-06-2021, 04:10 AM
The one handgun left on my bucket list. When I was still working back in Michigan a colleague had a nice one, but he wouldn't sell it at any price. Since I don't troll gunshows anymore, and I'm not enthusiastic about buying one online, I'll probably never check that box.

smithnframe
09-06-2021, 04:59 AM
They’ve become very collectible lately…….pretty cool revolvers!

cwtebay
09-06-2021, 11:06 AM
Nice revolver! Did all of them chamber 22wrf? There is one sitting in a pawn shop that I was eyeing a while back, I may have to revisit it!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

FredBuddy
09-06-2021, 11:07 AM
Cleaned one up for a farmer friend.
His truck gun - left it in a wet zippered case.
Also miss-fired a lot - the nylon piece at the
end of the mainspring crumbled. Replaced it.
Very accurate.
Had to badger him for 3 years till he finally
used it and was satisfied with my work.

bigbore442001
09-06-2021, 11:52 AM
Nice. From what I understand H&R stopped making them when the tooling wore out. From what I read the cost of tooling replacement wasn't worth the profit made from their sales. Too bad as it is a nice concept.

turtlezx
09-06-2021, 12:17 PM
i have a939 similar very accurate with a 3x scope mounted to the rib
you dont realize how much the sights move around to you scope it

Burnt Fingers
09-06-2021, 01:11 PM
Nice revolver! Did all of them chamber 22wrf? There is one sitting in a pawn shop that I was eyeing a while back, I may have to revisit it!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Not that I know of.

I have a 4" model.

Nice little revolver despite the horrible trigger pull.

30calflash
09-06-2021, 02:13 PM
A friend just got a 1940's version, neat revolver and it shot decent groups.

pietro
09-06-2021, 03:08 PM
Did all of them chamber 22wrf ?

Most were chambered for .22LR, like mine (below, with a Charter Pathfinder & a Taurus 922M)

https://i.imgur.com/qDIXtYml.jpg

Mk42gunner
09-07-2021, 12:46 AM
I don't have one of those, but I do have one of its precursors-- The H&R ".22 Special" a genuine seven shooter. Mine happens to be in .22 Long Rifle, although if memory serves they did make some in .22 WRF.

While I wouldn't want to take it to Camp Perry, it is a fun little utilitarian revolver. We need more affordable guns like that for people just starting out, and occasionally for those of us that have been doing this for decades.

Robert

oldhenry
09-07-2021, 09:32 AM
I bought one in '55. I was 16years old. It cost $49.00 NIB. That was before the Federal Gun Act. The dealer was a one stop Texaco service station, Firestone tire dealer & hunting/fishing store. The proprietor knew my dad & knew I was a gun nut. Neither me nor my dad had to sign anything. I paid for it on the Firestone credit plan (life wasn't very complicated then).

I really liked that gun & it was my constant companion whenever I did any kind of hunting. I thought the trigger pull was good. Mine was the model before the faux vent rib.

After marriage someone broke into our house while my wife & I were @ work & that 999 "Sportsman" was the only thing they took.

Congratulations: it's rare to find one in that good condition.

Henry

Texas by God
09-07-2021, 02:37 PM
I know about the sight adjustment screws working loose- a small dab of nail polish stopped that. The DA pull is nothing to brag about but the SA pull is good enough to hit turtle heads with. Having worked on these type of revolvers before; I will not try to improve the trigger!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

beezapilot
09-07-2021, 07:40 PM
While not a 999, I've a 950, the "single action looking double action". One like it was my first pistol as a kid, a few years ago saw one at a gun show and my hands remembered it well. Nothing wrong with fun .22's!

dennis g
09-08-2021, 12:02 PM
This was my Dad's. Bought about 1951288399

leadhead
09-09-2021, 09:52 AM
Where can I buy the nylon piece that sits at the end of the mainspring.
The one in mine is busted. Thanks for any replies.
leadhead

fifteenfifty
09-09-2021, 10:10 AM
Where can I buy the nylon piece that sits at the end of the mainspring.
The one in mine is busted. Thanks for any replies.
leadhead

ebay of course.
Look for "H&R mainspring". Jack First sells a replica replacement as well.

-Brian

FredBuddy
09-09-2021, 01:04 PM
I got mine from Numrich.

Came as a unit with the mainspring.

Buy a couple - all H&R revolvers use
the same unit.

Wayne Smith
09-09-2021, 02:04 PM
Mine opens about 1/32 of an inch when you open it without releasing the lock. I don't know where to shim it though! This is a H&R 999.

georgerkahn
09-09-2021, 03:48 PM
Some years back a colleague inherited his dad's firearms, and presented me three of them. One, an Astra .25acp "widow-maker", I never fired. BUT, the other two, 9-shot revolvers -- are the H&R 939 (1969 made) and 949 (made in 1978). Complete with holsters they are (imho) quite pleasing to the eye. And, they both shoot on same par as a Colt Frontier.
Neato little revolvers! Congrats on yours. Harrington and Richardson, imho, pretty much always provided their customers with MUCH more value per dollar than many other manufacturers... if any! My (late) good friend, Hughie had an H&R M1 Garand and always professed -- with no contradiction from others in our Hi-Power League -- that H&R's were all very well made -- if not "the best"!.
geo

trapper9260
09-09-2021, 04:26 PM
I got a H&R Sportman 999 22lr , I won it many years ago at a trappers convention that one of the magazine companies was have a raffle and it was one of the items they had to raffle off , I bought a book of tickets just for the heck of it since I get their magazine for $5 and then later on they contact me saying I won the gun and that to get a FFL dealer to do the paper work , I went to the one I done alot of business with told him about it and he said he will take care of it for me and then after when I show up to get the gun and filled out the paper work , I ask him how much I own him , he said nothing because of all the business I done with him he was glad to see I won it and one guy that work there told me he did not know that they had a raffle. Since I have a 22 lr that I use on the trap line , I did not shoot it , at the time I used the case the H&R came in , the only thing I done with the gun is just clean it 2 times for the time I got it . Never fired it, I have so far 2 people wanted to buy from me. I told them not for sale. One told me that if I ever did he wants to be the first one to be offer to, He knows I do not sell my guns. It sits in the safe . One of the real things that I ever won that I proud of . Yes it is like brand new and never fired .

LAGS
09-09-2021, 08:43 PM
I received my dad's H&R 922 when he passes away in 2018.
It has the original box and the original receipt.
This was the first pistol I ever shot when I was about 9 or 10.
That inspired me to buy a used 999 when I turned 21.
I wish I still had the 999 , but am more than happy that I did receive my dad's pistol that is two years older than I am.

MostlyLeverGuns
09-10-2021, 12:28 PM
I've got a 4" model H&R 999, like new. Keep it wrapped and in a storage bag, glove box of the UTV, 3 22LR shotshells and 6 Aguila Hollwpoints, in case we (wife & I) don't have some other firearm along, rattlers, skunks, raccoons, even coyote if necessary. Bought new in 70's, probably in Lawton,Oklahoma (Fort Sill).

Rich/WIS
09-11-2021, 09:21 PM
They also made a model 199 with oversize walnut grips that was SA only. Friend had one. It was the "target" model and the trigger pull was exceptionally light.

leadhead
10-08-2021, 09:15 AM
I bought a mainspring with nylon piece from E-Bay for my H&R 929 revolver.
It still miss fires 3-4 times out of 9. What else could it be? Does the nylon
piece need to be lubed where it rides on the hammer? It seems like the spring
is still to weak. What do you think?
leadhead