PDA

View Full Version : Hummingbird epiphany

Thumbcocker
09-05-2021, 06:54 PM
Today I was topping off the nectar for the hummingbirds. I have previously posted about their lack of appreciation for my efforts.

So as the little nectar guzzlers glared at me from nearby trees it occurred to me.

These are not feeders they are bird bongs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

trebor44
09-05-2021, 07:04 PM
so true, so true!

Mk42gunner
09-05-2021, 08:16 PM
I took the easy route, I have several Formosa trees in and around my yard.

The little rascals sure do like it when the pink flowers bloom.

Robert

Thumbcocker
09-05-2021, 08:39 PM
Got a big mimosa tree too. The little suckers swarm it and still fight over the bird bongs.

09-05-2021, 09:04 PM
They like to loiter near the morning glory flowers and glare at me when I start the truck.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

rockrat
09-05-2021, 11:27 PM
When a feeder is out (have 3) the little buggers will come to a window when they see me and fuss. Then they will buzz around my head and arms while I am filling the feeder.

badguybuster
09-06-2021, 09:11 AM
When we bought our farm the owners kept going on and on about how many hummingbirds come here. I politely said I didnt give a crap......now, 5 years later I am obsessed with the little speed.demons.

MrWolf
09-06-2021, 09:21 AM
When a feeder is out (have 3) the little buggers will come to a window when they see me and fuss. Then they will buzz around my head and arms while I am filling the feeder.

Ours will fly to my gf's window when she is working (works from home) to let her know I need to fill it again. Same porch just a lil bit away from the feeder. They are really interesting and can get territorial. Love watching them. I make my own mix of just sugar and water.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-06-2021, 09:44 AM
Hummingbirds seem more abundant that usual, does anyone have a favorite recipe?

Mal Paso
09-06-2021, 09:49 AM
Those hummingbirds are crashing from a sugar high, what do you expect.LOL

In Winter the Juncos hover in front of the glass door if I haven't put the food out in time.

gbrown
09-06-2021, 10:35 AM
I call it the "Hummingbird Wars". Right now in my back yard, I have 5 feeders. I am feeding at least 4 birds. I have 1 bird I call the bully, who guards/feeds on 2 of them. Yesterday and this morning, there were 30 birds around my backyard with multiple fights going on simultaneously. Really wild stuff.

gwpercle
09-06-2021, 10:46 AM
Hummingbirds seem more abundant that usual, does anyone have a favorite recipe?

Like !

Favorite Load to go with that favorite recipe ?
Gary

09-06-2021, 11:05 AM
Are you guys loading up the 44 mags with walnut media again? Those better not be deep fried carpenter bees on that plate[emoji2961]

Cosmic_Charlie
09-06-2021, 01:51 PM
Our hummers are very used to us. They work the flowers on the deck just feet away. But I do wonder about the sugar. Bad for us but o.k. for them?

Winger Ed.
09-06-2021, 02:05 PM
But I do wonder about the sugar. Bad for us but o.k. for them?

They have a real high metabolism, and a heart rate of about 6-700 beats per minute.
They'll still eat enough flower sap for various minerals & such, but the pickings are a little slim in some areas.
For them, sugar water supplements their diet, and is also like putting Nitro Methane drag racing fuel in your lawn mower.
And they like it.

From what I've read, 4 to 1 is right for them.
I've heard that red dyed store bought powder mix is actually bad for them.

We're seeing more and more here in the last week or two.
They'll be starting to come down South to tank up for their winter migration.
We have 4-5 'regulars' now, but in the next month or so, we should be getting 20-30 more as they prepare to go to Mexico.

MrWolf
09-06-2021, 07:04 PM
^^yup. I mix one up of boiling water to 1/4 cup of sugar and let cool. Basically one cup of water in microwave is 1 1/2 -2 minutes on high. Mix then let cool.

varmintpopper
09-06-2021, 11:15 PM
I use the same recipe for them as for Spotted Owls.

too many things
09-06-2021, 11:41 PM
well the red dont hurt , but it keeps algae from the feeder. want some fun catch one by the tale. they like to fight but you will have 20 on you like smell on you know

LUCKYDAWG13
09-07-2021, 08:50 PM
They have been going nuts around my feeder this past week also have a trumpet vine for them I will miss seeing them when they fly south probably in the next few weeks

09-07-2021, 09:34 PM
well the red dont hurt , but it keeps algae from the feeder. want some fun catch one by the tale. they like to fight but you will have 20 on you like smell on you knowYou must be awwwful fast on the draw ifffins you catch hummingbirds by the tail[emoji3]

rockrat
09-07-2021, 10:42 PM
I feed mine a saturated solution of sugar/water. Can't dissolve any more sugar in the jug, it just collects on the bottom. Probably why my hummers seem a bit "chunky"

salty dog
09-08-2021, 04:30 PM
I had an epiphany too. I loved watching them and marveled at how the other birds flew off when I showed up but they buzz around fearlessly. Then I figured out that they have no reason to fear any critter they can see, they're at least twice as fast as anything chasing them.

Mal Paso
09-08-2021, 07:52 PM
You must be awwwful fast on the draw ifffins you catch hummingbirds by the tail[emoji3]

If you can put salt on their tail, catching them is easy.

Thumbcocker
09-08-2021, 07:58 PM
Ar a young age I actually went outdoors with a white Tupperware salt shaker in pursuit of birds. I was a bit gullible in my single digit years.

Winger Ed.
09-08-2021, 09:22 PM
they buzz around fearlessly.

Once they get used to a certain feeder jar, you can hold it and they'll come up to it too.

If I wear a red ball cap the same color as their feeders, they'll come right up, check it out, and and test it.
It's cool, you can feel and hear their wings fluttering.

GregLaROCHE
09-08-2021, 09:31 PM
Do you ever add anything to the water besides sugar? Do the sell things maybe with vitamins and minerals added?

Minerat
09-08-2021, 09:44 PM
Had a yellow Northrup- King cap with a Red NK on it. Standing knee deep is a high mountain stream and have one hovering above the bill is a unique experience. They drove me nuts buzzing it.

Omega
09-08-2021, 09:57 PM
They must be on the move, for a months I had two to three birds on two feeders, but now they are at least six, and they seem to active all day long. Had to refill the feeders twice this week, so there must be more than I can see at one time.

Brassmonkey
09-08-2021, 10:00 PM
Camping a few weeks ago I happened to spot two in the wild. As I watched them I realized I never spotted them no where near a house.

coloraydo
09-09-2021, 12:55 AM
They must be on the move, for a months I had two to three birds on two feeders, but now they are at least six, and they seem to active all day long. Had to refill the feeders twice this week, so there must be more than I can see at one time.

It was getting to where I had to refill our feeders almost daily. There was always a mess of sugar water on the ground below it. At first I thought it was the wind blowing the feeder around and sloshing the sugar water out of it. Then one night, while letting our two mini doxies out for their post midnight potty break, i saw the culprits. There was two or three bats attacking the feeders, but I am not sure how much they were able to drink, but they sloshed the feeder enough that it was empty the next morning. I would never have thought that could happen.

Omega
09-09-2021, 01:17 AM
It was getting to where I had to refill our feeders almost daily. There was always a mess of sugar water on the ground below it. At first I thought it was the wind blowing the feeder around and sloshing the sugar water out of it. Then one night, while letting our two mini doxies out for their post midnight potty break, i saw the culprits. There was two or three bats attacking the feeders, but I am not sure how much they were able to drink, but they sloshed the feeder enough that it was empty the next morning. I would never have thought that could happen.I first used the bottle type feeders, and due to the temps, they would leak all the time, giving me an ant problem. I bought the dish type and the leaking stopped, as well as the random bugs that would find their way into the other feeders. Sometimes the wind gets them rocking pretty good, but have yet to see any spills, so either the lid is sealed good or maybe they just don't splash up enough.
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71QhIPjHhHS._AC_SX466_.jpg (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0756B3CGF)

trebor44
09-09-2021, 08:53 AM
four cups of tap water, microwave for 5 minutes, add and stir until dissolved 1 cup sugar, cool and serve

MrWolf
09-09-2021, 09:03 AM
Do you ever add anything to the water besides sugar? Do the sell things maybe with vitamins and minerals added?

I don't add anything else. My feeder has an inverted bottle with the base having the "flower" openings. One cup of oiling water mixed 1/4 cup of sugar usually lasts a few days. I will get a couple of ants every once in awhile. I did have a fat one who guarded it but haven't seen that one in awhile. Was actually comical to watch.