PDA

View Full Version : Any Pedersoli advice out there?

Dave B
01-10-2009, 01:08 PM
I'm thinking about getting a Pedersoli Sharps from Cabelas. I'm torn between the Heavy Target Model and the reg one with the octg 32" bbl . This will be my first one, so it will be sort of a "starter model". I like the tang sights on the target mdl , although they could be put on the other one. I've never even shot one so any thoughts or ideas are more than welcome.

Boz330
01-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Just depends on what you are going to do with it. The target model is just that and you don't want to pack it around the woods unless you are a real glutton for punishment. Also the one my buddy has is overweight for competition and to be strictly legal he is going to have to trim 3+oz off of it.

Bob

runnin lead
01-10-2009, 02:02 PM
As previously stated depends uppon what you want to use it for .
If you may someday want to shoot silhouette total weight with sights can not exceed 12 # 2 oz. I would also look for a model with a shotgun style buttplate,the military & crescent style buttplates look realy nice but get very uncomfortable when doing an extended amount of shooting.
I have a Pedersoli & a C . Sharps 1874 & like them both a lot BUT I don't care for the Pedersoli tang sights , I have had no problem with their front sights.

Dave B
01-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the fast replies. It will mostly be used as a plinker, but maybe at some silhouette matches later. Please enlighten me more on the sights. I want a 45-70, and will shoot cast bullets.

Wayne Smith
01-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Unless you are a lumberjack you don't want the heavyweight rifle! I've got a Shiloh Sharps Business Rifle and it's too heavy to carry comfortably.

Limey
01-10-2009, 05:15 PM
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/lambris/P1000598.jpg

Dave B,

This is my Pedersoli 32 inch octagonal barrel Sporting model rifle fitted with a Pedersoli Vernier Sight, Pt. No: 431 and the Pedersoli Hadley eyepiece, Pt. No: 463.
This has proven to be reliable and the most accurate rifle I have ever owned with either BP or smokeless.....I love shooting this gun and the quality, fit and finish is more than acceptable for the price I paid.

I have to agree that if you had to carry it a long way and or all day you'd be feeling tired at the end of the day!

Good luck with your choice, whatever you get use it a lot and enjoy it......guns are made for shooting, paintings are made for hanging on walls.

Safe shooting,

Limey

Dave B
01-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Limey, thats a real beauty. It may be exactly like one being sent for me to look at next week. The tang sight is optional on it . I was slightly leaning toward the heavy rnd bbl target model with the pistol grip, but after seeing yours I can tell this will be a tough choice. What do you shoot in yours.

13Echo
01-10-2009, 06:32 PM
If you are looking for a Pedersoli Sharps for hunting you would be well served with the 30" (or is it 32") Business Rifle. It isn't highly polished, actually the barrel has a matt finish, and the stock isn't fancy but has the shotgun butt, and the one my friend has, is nicely put together with tight inletting, is very accurate, is pleasant to shoot, it isn't too heavy for a day in the field and it will make weight for Silhouette. Despite it's plain specifications it is a handsome rifle. I think Flintlocks, etc. has them on for a bit over $1000. I really like the rifle and, if I still hunted, would probably get one. That said, if you can afford a Shiloh consider it.

Jerry Liles

Lefty38-55
01-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Best and 1st advice I'd ever give is to slug the barrel to pick the proper sized cast boolit. FWIW I have the VERY heavy 34" version of what's shown in the picture above, but heavy # barrel, largest they make, with full pistol grip and fantastic checkering. Bought it on the cheap in MINT condition as the previous owner said it wouldn't shoot and when I saw his reloads listed @ 0.458" diameter, right then and there I knew what the problem was ...

She's for sale too ... too darn heavy for offhand shooting, for which I prefer Ballards or High Walls, with better stock geometry.

montana_charlie
01-10-2009, 07:46 PM
It will mostly be used as a plinker, but maybe at some silhouette matches later. Please enlighten me more on the sights.
The barrel on a Pedersoli Sharps is too good to be relegated to 'plinker status'.
You could pick up a $600 IAB for that purpose.

The tang sight supplied with the Long Range Target Model is no great shakes. It's a give-away sight. It is functional, but that's about all.

The Silhouette Model has a 32-inch octagonal barrel, and a shotgun butt with pistol grip. It is a good all-round rifle choice, and very appropriate for silhouette matches. It is light enough to carry in the field, and light enough to add stuff for target work...without going over the limits.

Dixie Gun Works usually has better prices than Cabela's on Pedersoli Sharps rifles...and a bigger selection, too.
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=M1874+or+1874
CM

Gunlaker
01-10-2009, 09:03 PM
I'm thinking about getting a Pedersoli Sharps from Cabelas. I'm torn between the Heavy Target Model and the reg one with the octg 32" bbl . This will be my first one, so it will be sort of a "starter model". I like the tang sights on the target mdl , although they could be put on the other one. I've never even shot one so any thoughts or ideas are more than welcome.

I have the "Basic Hunter" model. Very plane jane, I don't believe they even offer it anymore. I like it quite a lot though, a real nice looking and shooting rifle. It has a tight chamber and slugs a bit smaller than my other .45-70's at 0.457".

The only thing I wasn't that impressed with with was the fact that the mid-range soule sights with their standard height tunnel sight wouldn't allow me to shoot at anything less than 200 yards. I had to put a tall blade sight on the front and now it's just fine.

From a quality and fit perspective, I think it's quite good. It certainly seems to be put together better than a couple of my Marlins....

Chris.

Bigjohn
01-10-2009, 11:13 PM
I have three PEDERSOLI's; Brown Bess .75", 1874 SHARPS Business Rifle and a .38/55 Rolling Block. The quality on all three is quite good.

IMO; I am not impressed with the tang sights they sell; they work but the just look 'clunky' to my eye.
If I was inclined to buy another; I would not hesitate.

John.

EDG
01-11-2009, 01:45 AM
Many of the Pedersoli's models are too heavy for hunting and the carbine/military butt hurts your shoulder with recoil. The heavy target model with the shotgun butt will be much more comfortable to shoot off a bench or at targets. The standard tang sight is not very good but if you are patient you can use it for informal shooting.

Limey
01-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Dave B,

I have only shot my home made cast bullets from it over both BP and smokeless.

I have the Lee 405grain hollow base mould and I cast using wheel weights scrounged from my local tyre fitting depot......cost?....a smile and a couple of bottles of our local wine......we live on the edge of the Loire Valley.....great wine and not expensive!.....I water quench my bullets.

The barrel slugged at exactly 0.458 ins and I size my bullets to .459 and use a home made lubricant that's based around bee's wax but with various other stuff added until I got the consistancey I was looking for.

My local range only goes up to 200 meters at the moment.....we are currently working on building a 300 meter range.......and I have no problem using my Vernier sight at this range.......for interest only, my Vernier setting for BP at 200 meters is 0.580 ins and for smokeless at the same distance it's 0.552 ins.......I find for my poor old eyes that a circle style insert front sight works best for me.

I use the Lee dippers for loading BP, I use the 3.1cc dipper with 2F powder scraped level with the top of the dipper and just poured into the case with the aid of a Lee powder funnel......I checked the weight of a dipped charge and it was 48.4 grains

For smokeless I use the Lee powder measure and add 26 grains of Nobels Tubal 2000.

With both powders I fill up the unused case capacity with cotton wool balls....these are the one's that women buy for make up removal at super markets or chemists......one ball works a treat for both my loads.

I have never had any key holing and with the water quenched bullets no leading. I am only knocking holes in paper so do not need any more power at these ranges.....this is both easier on the shoulder and the pocket!

Incidently I use the same smokeless powder and charge weight for my hunting ammo and it was more than enough power to kill the wild boar and the deer I've shot using my Marlin Guide Gun that's in 45/70 as well.

The bullets I set out of the case such that the OAL is 69mm....at this the bullet is a gnats knob short of touching the rifling.....I use the Lee Factory Crimp die on all my reloads. ....with BP I use a blow tube between shots.....with smokeless you can just shoot all day!

Dave B, these are my loads, worked up by me for my gun.....you will need to do the same for your gun....work out what works for you.....this info is only shared to answer your question and is not a recomendation of any kind.

Safe shooting and have have fun,

Limey

Limey

jerrold
01-11-2009, 11:19 AM
I've never even shot one so any thoughts or ideas are more than welcome.[/QUOTE]

That describes me when I bought my Pedersoli "target model" a couple years ago.
Put some MVA long range sights on it and never looked back.:castmine: with Holy Black. Fine quality rifle:coffee:

Buckshot
01-11-2009, 11:49 PM
..............I don't have the Sharps version but the rolling Block in 40-65 in the Super Match or Super Target, I forget.

http://www.fototime.com/0032D60F7142944/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/B03376CCBE8D2CF/standard.jpg

The thing weighs a bunch. I've never weighed it.

http://www.fototime.com/D836FD30A444C86/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/02838B89D2984DB/standard.jpg

I wouldn't hump this thing around hunting on a bet :-) Not unless I had a gun bearer. That 40 caliber hole is only .005" smaller in ID then the 45 so I doubt the 45 version is much lighter. The muzzle is 1" in OD. It DOES hang nice in offhand shooting, but you're not going to hold it up for very long unless you move refridgerators for a living. It's very accurate however and like most Pedersoli barrels the bore is smooth as greased glass.

..............Buckshot

NickSS
01-12-2009, 05:04 AM
I have a Uberti stamped 1874 Sharps rifle that under the fore stock is stamped Pedersoli. I think pedersoli either sells them the barrels or the entire rifle. This one is a plain jane business rifle with a 30 inch round barrel and the military butt stock. The rifle shoots as well as my 2 Shilohs and my 4 C Sharps rifles I own. It gives nothing up to accuracy. I bought it for a hunting rifle as it is lighter in weight than most of my other sharps rifles and that is mostly why I have it. Pedersoli makes good products and they do shoot.

Boz330
01-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Please don't buy an IAB, you will regret it! Just save up the difference and get a Pedersoli, or one of the American made guns. Even for plinking the IABs have issues that will surface and cost you money for a smith. On the other hand if you enjoy working on them more than shooting it is the ideal rifle.

Bob

Limey
01-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Out of interest I weighed my Pedersoli Sharps replica and with the Vernier sights fitted it weighs 10.075 Ibs in old money or 4.57kgs in new!...

I checked the Pedersoli catalogue and my gun, the 1874 Sharps Sporting Standard, Pt. No: S.780 is listed at 10.57 lbs .......I guess the difference is down to wood density.

When we shoot BP comps at my local range at 50 meters it's free standing with no supports or slings allowed.......certainly stresses the pec's!

At 100 or 200 meters we shoot prone, no support or resting is allowed but we can use a sling.......makes for some good elbow grazes.....it takes some explaining to Mrs. Limey that they are not carpet burns!!!!

Safe shooting,

Limey

montana_charlie
01-12-2009, 10:49 PM
When we shoot BP comps at my local range at 50 meters it's free standing with no supports or slings allowed.......certainly stresses the pec's!
If you put a 5-inch by 3/4-inch mercury recoil absorber in the butt you will increase the weight of your rifle by 12 ounces. But, when shooting offhand, it will feel like you have shortened the barrel by a third.
CM

Lefty38-55
01-12-2009, 11:40 PM
I checked the Pedersoli catalogue and my gun, the 1874 Sharps Sporting Standard, Pt. No: S.780 is listed at 10.57 lbs .......I guess the difference is down to wood density.

Yup, my model 788 Long Range Express weighs in at a hefty 12+ pounds ...

Bent Ramrod
01-13-2009, 12:41 AM
I have a Pedersoli PD-S.795-459 Sharps Competition that Cabela's sold for a brief time. The rifle is capable of 4" and under groups at 300 yards even with me shooting it. Loads are still under development.

The only negative I've noticed is a couple of the screws have a tendency to loosen after a hundred shots or so. It's kind of like a SAA revolver clone in that I have to either get the Loc-Tite out or check the screws for tightness as part of the cleaning routine after a shooting session.

montana_charlie
01-13-2009, 01:09 PM
The only negative I've noticed is a couple of the screws have a tendency to loosen after a hundred shots or so.
Which screws?
CM

SharpsShooter
01-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Another "Please DO NOT BUY" an IAB. I did many years back for serious bucks at the time. It was rough and the lock disintegrated completely ikn less than a 100 shots. Look too at the 75 C Sharps. It is the best bang for the buck IIRC for BPCR.

SS

Bent Ramrod
01-14-2009, 02:26 AM
Montana Charlie,

The tumbler screw and the guard plate receiver screw on my rifle tend to loosen on firing 50 shots or so.

Boz330
01-14-2009, 10:01 AM
Another "Please DO NOT BUY" an IAB. I did many years back for serious bucks at the time. It was rough and the lock disintegrated completely ikn less than a 100 shots. Look too at the 75 C Sharps. It is the best bang for the buck IIRC for BPCR.

SS

I haven't looked at the price of a 75 recently but it was competitive with Pedersolis.

Bob

Limey
01-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the recomendation Montana Charlie about adding extra weight in the stock to give the impression that the gun is lighter.

Indeed, with that long, heavy (and accurate) octagonal barrel way out front I'm guessing that the point of balance must be nearly out by the end of the splinter forend!.

by adding extra weight in the stock the P.o B. will effectively be moved back between your hands, closer to you and therefore give the impression as you say of actually feeling lighter.

Does the stock already have a hollow in it?........or do you need to bore out a hole?

I could not afford one of those fancy mercury filled things but I could add some bagged up lead shot to create the same effect.

Safe shooting

Limey

montana_charlie
01-14-2009, 01:39 PM
Does the stock already have a hollow in it?........or do you need to bore out a hole?
I had to go back up the thread to verify you are shooting a Pedersoli Sharps...

You will need to bore a hole.
If you install a mercury device, it needs to be parallel with the bore.
In a military butt, that means starting high and angling 'downward' through the wood.
I started my hole high enough that I had to grind a small amount off the end of the top buttplate screw so it wouldn't contact the mercury tube when tightened down. You could start a bit lower...but not far enough to weaken the grip area.

My first mercury device was homemade, and really worked well...but it leaked.
CM

Limey
01-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Montana Charlie.......can you still but mercury ''over the counter'' in the 'States?

Mercury is very difficult to buy normaly as it's now recognised as being so poisonous.

I remember as a kid in Chemistry lesson having a whole cup full to play with......rolling it around the bench, trying to push my fist into it....I must have been about 10 years old.......just about to hit 53 and still here!......I also remember the Chemistry teacher telling us about a light house that had the light at the top ''floating'' on ten tons of mercury so it could spin easily....

So how did you make your own recoil reducer?.....I'm sure other shooter's would like to know as well as me.

Safe shooting,

Limey

montana_charlie
01-16-2009, 02:07 PM
Montana Charlie.......can you still but mercury ''over the counter'' in the 'States?
Over the counter?
No. But eBay can surprise you sometimes.

So how did you make your own recoil reducer?.....I'm sure other shooter's would like to know as well as me.
As I said, it leaked. So, you may not be as interested as you say.

But (basically) I chose some stainless tubing with a thick wall, cut internal threads on each end using the largest fine-thread tap that would work, poured in the amount of mercury I thought was appropriate, and plugged the ends with short lengths cut from a stainless bolt.
One plug had a 1/4 x 20 tapped hole on the outside so a matching screw could be used as a removable 'handle' to pull the device out of the stock.

Because the tube wall was not exactly the ideal inside diameter, the plugs were not a perfectly snug fit in the threads. But, I figured Loctite would take care of that.

Had I known more about the various types of Loctite available, I probably would have succeeded without leakage.

CM