PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Grey Water System. We Switched To Mulch/Compost Pits

jonp
09-05-2021, 10:33 AM
When we bought our old house the line for the washing machine and kitchen sink ended up being a pipe into the backyard. We found this out when I noticed a pool of water on the ground. We tried a leech system but the soil type is clay so the size just didn't work and after a couple of years and some research I decided to try a mulch pit system. This type is approved for use in California so should be good all over the country. My area does not have zoning. You may have to attend a few meetings and educate the local board on this system but I don't think you will have a problem. By now there is much information online about them.

Here is a picture of it in a nutshell

After looking around I followed a system developed in California which uses a system of pits with mulch to distribute the water. Here is a nice overview http://www.rhynelandscape.com/2013/01/20/15-landscape-sustainability-wastewater-reuse/

My system looks like this mulch basin in a series although due to the clay substrate my buckets are over 1ft above the bottom of the pit not 4in. If you have good drainage you may be able to get away with a 1-2ft pit. Mine are about 3ft.

How I did it. First I figured out how much gray water would go into the system to size the basins. I took the washing machine complete cycle and figured 2 loads per week for us and then added the kitchen sink. This system is separate from the bathroom septic. Know the difference between black and gray water, you only want gray water. Some systems recommend not to include the kitchen sink due to food particles and chemicals but since we were going for a compost system we added it and switched to homemade castile soap for washing dishes and homemade laundry soap. We are very careful to not put any chemicals down the sink.

Knowing the gallons entering the system I went to the USDA soil maps to find the soil in my area and the permeability or how much it drained. https://websoilsurvey.sc.egov.usda.gov/App/HomePage.htm

With this information in hand I figured the volume size of pit I needed and sized it accordingly to let it drain between loads. I also added as volume the outlet pipe from the house as a back up and pit upstream as an emergency in case the bottom pits didn't drain for some reason which turned out to be a good thing. The beauty of this system is that you can add as many in a line as needed if the first doesn't work or you want to spread it out.

Here is a dug pit. I used as a surge "tank" a 5 gal bucket with holes drilled into it. The inlet pipe can have a T from another farther upline. In fact, this is the last in a series of 3 pits that I dug. In the bottom you can see the clay. The size of the pit is highly dependent on the soil type. The pipe is laid on a 1/4in per foot slope for drainage and is larger than recommended as I didn't know how many pits I would put in.

The bucket with drilled holes

Standard mulch I filled it with. You can use wood chips, mulch etc but not too fine as you need the drainage. I found the regular mulch used around trees and flower beds to work. Use natural not colored black, red or whatever.

Filled pit. Notice the wooden cover on the bucket. I left it visible for this picture. You want to cut off the top of the bucket and have a wooden or stone cover to check the bucket every once in a while just in case. We had no problems. The cover is actually under an inch or two of mulch

The mulch pit is dug out once a year and the mulch is replaced. The compost is put into the garden. You can test it for acidity and add lime or fertilizer accordingly. On the left is the year old mulch from the pit, on the right the new mulch. You can see how black and broken down it is, there is no smell. Looks like high dollar compost.

The system works great. I planted a few shrubs around it and some flowers. The constant water has them growing fine. I did add a second pit downstream from the main one and am thinking of a third. You can add as many as you want. Total cost was a pick up truck of mulch, pvc pipe with connections and some hard work digging a trench for the line and the pit. The old buckets I had in the garage. Covers from scrap wood off the deck.

garandsrus
09-05-2021, 11:24 AM
Looks interesting! What happens when the ground freezes?

jonp
09-05-2021, 12:30 PM
Down in NC it doesn't freeze so there was no bother all winter. We are right on the line between indoor and outdoor pressure tanks and water heaters. My pressure tank is under a fake rock on the lawn wrapped in insulation we have no problems having to run a lightbulb in it only for the pipe connector when it's under 20 degrees. Daughter is just south of us and her hot water tank is in an unheated out building. I've read of this type of system up in Vermont. I guess the snow acts as enough of an insulator that with the constant water it doesn't freeze but I have no idea what would happen if there was none and you got 4ft of freeze.

ryanmattes
09-05-2021, 12:38 PM
Looks interesting! What happens when the ground freezes?It's not under pressure, it's a gravity drain, so even if there's water in the pipe it can expand in either direction as it freezes without breaking the pipe. And to keep it from freezing and becoming a blockage, you'd just run some hot water through it regularly when it's cold enough to be a problem.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

MUSTANG
09-05-2021, 01:10 PM
It's not under pressure, it's a gravity drain, so even if there's water in the pipe it can expand in either direction as it freezes without breaking the pipe. And to keep it from freezing and becoming a blockage, you'd just run some hot water through it regularly when it's cold enough to be a problem.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

It would work great in the Southern Nevada House. Rarely see freezing that lasts through a single day; but on occasion we see down to the low 20's for a few days every 5 or 6 years.

It would "Suck" for our North West Montana House. The Frost Line is 50" deep. Many years we will see weeks to a couple months where Temps do not rise to 32 ° during the day. Temps have ranged down to as low as -20 ° since we bought the property. Ground freezes solid and can not be dug with a small John Deere Tractor Backhoe until well into the Spring; so the pit would be frozen solid into mid spring.

Growing up our family plus my Aunts and Uncles usually had a wringer washer on the back porch or a small shed for laundry (16 total families there! Big families back then). No one had "Indoor Laundry"; except in the winter when it was done in the kitchen sink and hung on "Scissor/Sprung" Laundry racks. It was late 60's to mid 70's before they started to migrate to upper scale home or refurbish houses to have a "Laundry Room". The wringer washers were drained to the Fruit Trees for extra watering.

Mal Paso
09-05-2021, 02:57 PM
Very Cool! Laundry water has fibers that will plug a regular leach field. Especially bad are synthetic fibers which won't break down in the dark.

bigbore442001
09-05-2021, 03:44 PM
Nice. Too bad we can't do that here in Massachusetts. Very strict laws on that matter.

Four-Sixty
09-05-2021, 06:57 PM
I wonder how well worms would do in that "mulch".

jonp
09-05-2021, 07:05 PM
I wonder how well worms would do in that "mulch".

We found a bunch of worms that migrated to it further breaking it down

Plate plinker
09-05-2021, 10:13 PM
Looks interesting! What happens when the ground freezes?
The water is relatively warm and the decaying mulch should make heat. I’m sure there would be a limit to what areas can utilize this system but that would require serious research.

atr
09-05-2021, 10:23 PM
Very nicely done! Good example of common sense thinking.
atr

GregLaROCHE
09-06-2021, 01:45 AM
My father always ran a long hose from his washing machine to his vegetable garden. He said besides the water, there were phosphates in the detergent that acted like fertilizer. You are probably recuperating the phosphates in your mulch. It’s a great idea as long as you don’t have long hard freezes where you are.

MaryB
09-06-2021, 02:30 PM
At my location I could see doing this but have a valve to divert to the main sewer system in winter since frost line here is 48"... then again could do an 8' deep pit and bring the water in at 60". Be a bit of a pain to dig it out once a year but not impossible.