PDA

View Full Version : LEE 459-405-HB in Tube Magazine

Moustacher
09-04-2021, 07:05 PM
With its meplat being smaller than a large rifle primer, do you think it's unwise, even DANGEROUS to be used in an 1895's tube magazine?

dondiego
09-05-2021, 01:38 PM
I think that it was designed to work in a tube feed rifle.

Moustacher
09-05-2021, 06:34 PM
I think that it was designed to work in a tube feed rifle.

From another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by john.k

"That Lee HB bullet is LEE's copy of the 405 Gov't bullet from 1874. It is a black powder era bullet and has the correct size lube grooves. It is meant to enable handloaders to recreate the old government ammo for the Springfield rifle and carbine."

I know it has been shot from many a Marlin, just unsure if the bullet nose is "safe" in a tube mag.

dondiego
09-05-2021, 06:45 PM
From another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by john.k

"That Lee HB bullet is LEE's copy of the 405 Gov't bullet from 1874. It is a black powder era bullet and has the correct size lube grooves. It is meant to enable handloaders to recreate the old government ammo for the Springfield rifle and carbine."

I know it has been shot from many a Marlin, just unsure if the bullet nose is "safe" in a tube mag.

Good info, but I do believe that the original bullet configuration is compatible with a tube feed. You would really need a pretty sharply pointed bullet and hard recoil to cause a problem. I have shot a lot of them through my Marlin.

gwpercle
09-05-2021, 07:09 PM
Better Safe Than Sorry .
I would use a true Flat Nose design or with that boolit , load 1 in chamber and 1 in magazine .
But I only load 5 in my old model Single Action Revolvers , so take my advice for what it's worth .
Gary

dondiego
09-05-2021, 07:23 PM
Safe is always good.

Dom
09-05-2021, 07:50 PM
288313 This is a bullet I use in my Marlin tube feed. Never had a problem. Unless your nose is smaller I would not be concerned. The nose on this bullet is about 1/4" across. BHN 10.5. Expanded bullet is from a penetration test in a log.

Moustacher
09-05-2021, 08:32 PM
Good info, but I do believe that the original bullet configuration is compatible with a tube feed. You would really need a pretty sharply pointed bullet and hard recoil to cause a problem. I have shot a lot of them through my Marlin.

Great!

Any tips for casting/loading this boolit?

Evoken
09-06-2021, 06:59 AM
I've shot the lee hollow base out of my guide gun quite a bit. Only problem I have is the marlin does not like to feed it too well. Accurate out of my short barrel though.

Castaway
09-06-2021, 07:56 AM
It’s dangerous to respond to a question about safety by saying you think it would be safe. Also, being compatible is a whole lot different than being designed for a particular purpose. One solution to the potential problem is to open the mould up at the nose end with some judicious file work.

Moustacher
09-06-2021, 05:50 PM
I've shot the lee hollow base out of my guide gun quite a bit. Only problem I have is the marlin does not like to feed it too well. Accurate out of my short barrel though.

Encouraging, thanks!