PDA

View Full Version : Feeler gauges

Jtarm
09-04-2021, 04:51 PM
What’s a good feeler gauge set for measuring revolver B-C gap & end-shake?

I was surprised to see Browells didn’t have any. At least I couldn’t find them on their site.

Scrounge
09-04-2021, 05:25 PM
What’s a good feeler gauge set for measuring revolver B-C gap & end-shake?

I was surprised to see Browells didn’t have any. At least I couldn’t find them on their site.

"It's an automotive thing, son. You wouldn't understand." Actually, feeler gauges are getting a bit hard to find. Last couple of sets I bought are chinese imports, from HF and Amazon. I believe you'll find Grainger and McMaster-Carr have them, still, but I've not seen them in an auto supply store lately. I just looked at O'Reilly's website, and all the ones they show, you can pick up in the store, in about 8 days. We used some at my work, back when I had a job early last year, for setting sewing machines up, and not much of anything else. The ones I bought, I got to use with my mini-lathe, for shimming tooling to center height. I think I'd get a set in brass to avoid scratching the finish on a blued revolver.

Not a real gunsmith or machinist. Just a wannabe gunsmith & machinist. ;)

Bill

Nobade
09-04-2021, 08:58 PM
MSC has heaps of them.
https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/?searchAheadTerm=feeler+gauge&searchAhead=true&searchterm=feeler+gauge+set&hdrsrh=true&typahddsp=feeler+gauge+set&tg=Suggested+Keywords

Mk42gunner
09-04-2021, 10:30 PM
I haven't looked for any for years, but the Snap-on or MAC tool truck should have plenty. You may have to get your local mechanic to order it, depending on the truck driver.

Robert

Alstep
09-04-2021, 10:37 PM
Travers Tool Co. Good people to deal with. The shop I retired from bought most of their tooling from them.

https://www.travers.com/

800-221-0270

Another thought, most any auto parts store should have one.

Burnt Fingers
09-05-2021, 12:52 PM
I picked up a set at Walmart last year.

white eagle
09-05-2021, 01:03 PM
local weaver auto parts should have them

Jtarm
09-05-2021, 03:17 PM
local weaver auto parts should have them

We don’t have those in my neck of the woods.

country gent
09-05-2021, 08:46 PM
While I have several of folding feeler gauges, they are available still better larger sets from tool supply houses like Mc Master Carr Graingers Shars. In the shop I prefer the individual feeler gauges in the longer lengths.6-12" long these are lighter less bulky and easier to get a good "feel" with.

GregLaROCHE
09-06-2021, 02:26 AM
Once my wife’s younger sister was helping us on a project and I needed a feeler gauge. I sent her to the auto parts store to buy one. She was a busty young girl and said everyone burst out laughing when she asked for a feeler gauge.
It’s true, you don’t see them for sale as much as before. Probably because they are no longer needed to adjust distributeur points like before.

William Yanda
09-06-2021, 05:54 AM
Automotive and machinist applications. Starrett anyone?

Gofaaast
09-06-2021, 10:05 AM
Most hardware stores carry them. Some farm supply stores are places to check as well. Brand would not concern me, others it would.

Jtarm
09-06-2021, 10:41 AM
Probably because they are no longer needed to adjust distributeur points like before.

That and with modern vehicles, people don’t change their own plugs except on their 2 & 4 cycle tools. And even those are usually gapped properly out of the box.

jonp
09-06-2021, 01:14 PM
Unless I don't understand what is the question I bought a set at the local auto store. I have a Craftsman round keyring gauge too.

Although plugs are supposed to come gapped I'm that guy who still checks them and regaps plugs during routine maintenance although it's not really needed much anymore. Just old-school I guess

Scrounge
09-06-2021, 01:30 PM
Unless I don't understand what is the question I bought a set at the local auto store. I have a Craftsman round keyring gauge too.

Although plugs are supposed to come gapped I'm that guy who still checks them and regaps plugs during routine maintenance although it's not really needed much anymore. Just old-school I guess

How long ago, jon? I've got three auto parts stores within about 2 miles of my house, and none of them carry flat feeler gauges in stock. You can get the coin type, still, there, as people still use them as a keyring thingie.

I'm with you on checking the gap on the plugs. I've gotten several where they must have dropped the box on the hot end, and had to regap. I do still change the plugs on my 98 Chevy truck, though the dealer takes care of the Hyundai Elantra. I haven't been able to get tech data on it. I'm hoping if I keep it long enough, Haynes or Chilton will come out with a book for it. It's a 2017, so not holding my breath, though.

Bill

megasupermagnum
09-06-2021, 01:34 PM
Apparently my link was in violation of something.

My recommendation is Wilde feeler gauges, made in USA, inexpensive.

GregLaROCHE
09-06-2021, 02:57 PM
That and with modern vehicles, people don’t change their own plugs except on their 2 & 4 cycle tools. And even those are usually gapped properly out of the box.

I forgot about adjustable valve lifters too. Not near as many around as before either.

ShooterAZ
09-06-2021, 02:59 PM
Apparently my link was in violation of something.

My recommendation is Wilde feeler gauges, made in USA, inexpensive.

Ebay links aren't allowed here.

GOPHER SLAYER
09-06-2021, 05:13 PM
The phone companies bought feeler gauges by the thousands every year until electro mechanical switches were replaced. The sizes went from .0015 to .3500. Most were just thrown away. I think I kept three sets. Here is one of them.

jonp
09-06-2021, 07:24 PM
How long ago, jon? I've got three auto parts stores within about 2 miles of my house, and none of them carry flat feeler gauges in stock. You can get the coin type, still, there, as people still use them as a keyring thingie.

I'm with you on checking the gap on the plugs. I've gotten several where they must have dropped the box on the hot end, and had to regap. I do still change the plugs on my 98 Chevy truck, though the dealer takes care of the Hyundai Elantra. I haven't been able to get tech data on it. I'm hoping if I keep it long enough, Haynes or Chilton will come out with a book for it. It's a 2017, so not holding my breath, though.

Bill

Not long ago, I think. Bought a pocket knife style with the blades. Not sure how long ago it was but not, like, 20yrs.

fc60
09-06-2021, 07:27 PM
Greetings,

Search eBay for "Starrett 66".

I got several hits and many are new in the box.

The 0.0015" and 0.002" blades get damaged first on used sets.

Look carefully and you should find a set for under $20.00.

CAVEAT Starrett has outsourced many tools to Communist China. Ask the seller where the tool was made.

Cheers,

Dave

Buck Shot
09-06-2021, 08:57 PM
Probably about a dollar on ebay.

Oops, just checked and about $5

You can always check them with a caliper or micrometer...ChiCom or not, if no good, send back for refund.

Hickok
09-07-2021, 09:51 AM
If you need shims for end-shake, these people are great to deal with, https://www.triggershims.com/cylinder_shims.php

My old S&W model 29 had some "endshake" and fixed it with "Trigger-shims" product.

Great price and varied assortment of shims. I ordered the pack that had from .002" to .006" shims.

They also carry the feeler gauges.

gunther
09-07-2021, 10:44 AM
If they are available, a set of stainless steel would be a good thing. I've lost track of how many sets that have shown up in the bottom of a swampy toolbox, rusted to uselessness. Keep them oiled and dry and well cared for.

jim147
09-07-2021, 01:34 PM
Definitely check them with a mic. Last set I got, don't remember where, had one that was mismarked.

Jtarm
09-07-2021, 02:40 PM
Greetings,

Search eBay for "Starrett 66".

I got several hits and many are new in the box.

The 0.0015" and 0.002" blades get damaged first on used sets.

Look carefully and you should find a set for under $20.00.

CAVEAT Starrett has outsourced many tools to Communist China. Ask the seller where the tool was made.

Cheers,

Dave

I despise FleaBay, but I’ll check.

Thanks!

Jtarm
09-07-2021, 02:44 PM
If you need shims for end-shake, these people are great to deal with, https://www.triggershims.com/cylinder_shims.php

My old S&W model 29 had some "endshake" and fixed it with "Trigger-shims" product.

Great price and varied assortment of shims. I ordered the pack that had from .002" to .006" shims.

They also carry the feeler gauges.

Yep I’ve used them before for hammer & trigger shims on a GP100.

I also have a plentiful supply of Power end-shake shims for S&Ws.

I want one primarily for checking out used (even new) revolvers.

Green Frog
09-07-2021, 04:55 PM
I got a set from “O’, O’, O’, O’Reilly’s” Auto Parts within the last couple of years. Maybe you need to ask one of the older guys at your local parts place.

Froggie

shooter bob
09-07-2021, 07:31 PM
Harbor freight has them

mjwcaster
09-21-2021, 07:16 PM
They have gotten harder to find locally.
I needed a set this spring to set valve lash on the Koehler on the mower.
All the sets around the house had succumbed to ‘swamp tool box’ neglect.
Hadn’t used a set in many years, use the ring style set for spark plugs.
I think I might have given up and just ordered a set online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSnover
09-22-2021, 08:15 AM
Travers Tool Co. Good people to deal with. The shop I retired from bought most of their tooling from them.

https://www.travers.com/

800-221-0270

Another thought, most any auto parts store should have one.

I've also had good luck with Travers Tool.

Scrounge
09-22-2021, 08:58 AM
Not long ago, I think. Bought a pocket knife style with the blades. Not sure how long ago it was but not, like, 20yrs.
I think it was about 5 years ago that I had to order from Amazon, since none of the local auto parts stores ad them in stock. We have O'Reilly, AutoZone, and Advance here close to my house. Didn't make it to NAPA, though they probably have them. Knew Harbor Freight probably had them, too, just didn't want to drive that far.

Been buying a lot of tools from Amazon & ebay lately.

Bill