PDA

View Full Version : 16 gauge slug through a bear

megasupermagnum
09-03-2021, 10:12 PM
I just got back from what was both the longest and shortest hunts I've been on at the same time. It was the longest, because I chose two locations about 330 miles away from me. I've been baiting for bear since August 14th, which resulted in 3 baiting trips, and one hunting trip. Where I went is only accessible by boat, so I towed that with each time for just shy of 2700 miles in 4 weeks, getting about 16mpg, so around 170 gallons of gasoline. I shouldn't have done the math as it made me sad, but that's over $500 in gas. I don't even want to think about all the bait and other stuff I got for this. I had two bait sites out, about 20 miles apart, and both had bear on them. My first pick site, had a real big one.

Yesterday I got up at 6am, and drove there, which is no small feat for a 2nd shift worker who went to bed about 2:30 am. It was raining all day, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try an evening hunt. I more or less considered it a bait run to get some scent into the area. I dumped some honey, molasses, vanilla, and liquid smoke around the bait site, then set up the blind. It was about 3:30 pm before I was settled into the blind. I was awake for all of maybe 15 minutes before I passed out. I woke up at around 7:35, didn't see anything. About 2 minutes later, I see a black blob coming. I couldn't believe it. I hadn't been honestly alert and hunting for 20 minutes, and here he comes. The nap hunting technique succeeds again, I'm becoming a pro. He would only take a single step at a time, then look around and smell for 15-30 seconds, very cautious. Finally he stepped into a clearing, I put the sights of my Remington 11-48 16 gauge slug barrel on him, and let the slug fly. At the shot, he fell right to the ground, and rolled down the slight incline a few feet. He was now obscured behind a few small trees, but I could see he was trying to get up. I figured I may as well try and feed a slug between the trees. The second shot I saw no reaction, so I sent a third shot which definitely connected. At this point I could hear he was really struggling to breath, yet was still holding himself up with front legs. The way he was acting, I was pretty sure I had broken something that kept him from moving, so I decided to step out of the blind. A few feet to the side, and I had a clear shot at his head. I steadied against a branch, and sent a final shot through his skull. He probably would have been down in a matter of seconds without the final shot, but I always choose the option that results in the best chances of a recovered animal.

First a few trail camera pictures. The first two is the one I shot at my A site. The third is a little bear at my B site hanging up a tree. #4 and #5 I have no clue. At first glance I wanted to say fisher, but it looks a little thin. If anyone knows what it is, let me know.

https://i.ibb.co/8cf01jh/bear13.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/9cBYbzB/bear12.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/vBwJ8L7/bear22.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/MGZrp7Y/fishera-1.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/nnGgqP7/fishera-3.jpg

Finally we have a downed bear, and he is massive! I shot him right at dark, so unfortunately the pictures are not world class. I am 6' 5", 300 pounds. This bear was at least that big, probably heavier. This is the first animal I was unable to drag even a short distance in the old Jet Sled. I got maybe 30 feet, and said to heck with it. I quartered him, and carried it the 200 yards to the boat. Notice how tiny the Remington 11-48 looks.

https://i.ibb.co/RBC560V/Screenshot-20210902-204549-Video-Player.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/pz93SJG/Screenshot-20210902-204700-Video-Player.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/896bHpQ/20210902-195445.jpg

The verdict after butchering is that the first shot was pretty good. I hit a little farther forward than I like, hitting him just behind the front leg, and maybe 1" high of center. This would be a beautiful shot on a whitetail, but this far forward ends up in the front 1/3rd of the lungs on a black bear. I'd guess the first shot hit about 4" from the front of the lungs. It did double lung him though, in one side of ribs, and out the other. As far as I can tell, the first slug did not physically connect with the spine, but it appears it came so close it disabled the bear anyway. A 3" section of the spine is red and bruised where it passed by. The second shot missed apparently. The third shot hit about 2" farther forward, and 2" lower than the first shot. The fourth and final shot was a dead center of the brain, right where I intended. These slugs are ridiculously accurate for what they are. He was 35-40 yards away for all shots, which isn't far, but was still good for how dark it was getting.

The load I shot is as follows.

Federal 2 3/4" 16 gauge
Federal 209A
25gr Bluedot
OB16 gas seal + (5) 1/8" 16ga nitro cards
Lyman sabot slug with hot glue hollow base and WLL alox tumble lube
fold crimp

I'd guestimate 1200 fps, I never did test them. The slugs I bought from GT bullets, they cast them of 96-2-2 alloy. They are around .680" on the front driving band, and .668" on the widest part of the skirt. I weighed two as-cast, and both were about 511 grains. The bore diameter on my barrel is .672"-.673".

Now here is the shocker of the whole thing, I recovered a slug. It has been many years since I've recovered a shotgun slug, and I'm a little surprised I got this one. This was the third shot, went through the meat of the first shoulder, passed through the very front of the lungs, then went through the large upper leg bone of offside shoulder, and came to a stop inside the hide. I felt a bulge, and the following pictures is what I cut out. I figured these expanded in the barrel when firing somewhat, but I never would have guessed they did this. That's not even the entirety. Along with the slug, I recovered four of the five nitro cards with the slug! That's right, apparently not only do the nitro cards suck to the bottom of the slug, probably from some vacuum effect, they also went COMPLETLEY THROUGH BOTH SHOULDERS with the slug. I am blown away.

The front diameter of the recovered slug is .706", indicating some deformation, but not what you would expect after hitting the most major bone in the body. The skirt is about .672", or my bore diameter. It weights right at 511 grains, 100% retention. I don't even need to take pictures of the wounds these created. There should be no doubt that what essentially a 68 caliber full wadcutter does is nasty. It made holes as big, or bigger than high velocity rifle rounds such as 308 Winchester, yet left no random hemorrhaging or bloodshot meat. It made these huge holes all the way through, not just one side like a rifle bullet.

https://i.ibb.co/cDWFCBY/20210902-220753.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/H2gZ3Pt/20210903-202747.jpg

I've got a big day ahead tomorrow of cutting and grinding meat. There was a lot on him. Not only meat, he must have been 50% fat. I saved him from a heart attack. Imagine the biggest slab of brisket you ever saw. I got fillets bigger than that of nothing but pure, white fat. That should make some good grease.

richhodg66
09-03-2021, 10:53 PM
Nice bear, congratulations.

Is this one of the Russian slug molds they sell on Ebay? They look like copies of the Lyman design, and I have been contemplating getting one as I have an Ithaca Deer Slayer 16 gauge (and a few other 16 gauges).

09-03-2021, 11:10 PM
My goodness, you got him good!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Wheelguns 1961
09-03-2021, 11:22 PM
Congratulations! Great hunt. Thanks for sharing.

megasupermagnum
09-03-2021, 11:30 PM
Nice bear, congratulations.

Is this one of the Russian slug molds they sell on Ebay? They look like copies of the Lyman design, and I have been contemplating getting one as I have an Ithaca Deer Slayer 16 gauge (and a few other 16 gauges).

I doubt it. I bought these from GT bullets, commercial cast. For all I know, these came from a Lyman mold. After this, I'm going to be buying the clone mold from NOE. The Remingtons are known to have larger bore diameters. A 16 gauge is "supposed" to be .662". Mines about .672". I have not measured enough 16 gauges to know what most of them are. Ithaca has a reputation for tighter bores, which I can not confirm. I'm not all that worried about oversized slugs, but a .680" slug might be a bit much for a .655" bore, so I'd say measure yours first.

GregLaROCHE
09-04-2021, 01:36 AM
I’m glad you were rewarded for all the effort you put in. Black bear is good eating.

richhodg66
09-04-2021, 10:10 AM
I didn't think Lyman ever made that style of slug mold in anything but 12 and 20.

Those Svarog slug molds they're selling on Ebay look good and seem to be that same design.

scattershot
09-04-2021, 10:33 AM
Beautiful bear. That nap hunting technique sounds like just the ticket. Congrats.

Markopolo
09-04-2021, 10:37 AM
Wooooo freaking Hooooo!!!!! great job MSM

pmer
09-04-2021, 10:46 AM
Nice bear!

Wag
09-04-2021, 11:09 AM
Nice!

#4 and #5 might be a coatimundi.

--Wag--

megasupermagnum
09-04-2021, 11:37 AM
I didn't think Lyman ever made that style of slug mold in anything but 12 and 20.

Those Svarog slug molds they're selling on Ebay look good and seem to be that same design.

It's the sabot 12 gauge version. It just happens to work as a full bore slug in larger bore 16s.

Graybeard96
09-04-2021, 11:57 AM
Congratulations to your excellent Success and very nice Trophy Black Bear which you truly deserved for all the Effort you put into it !

I also like to thank you for your detailed report on your 16 Ga. Slugs and Recipe because in Private Live I am also a 12 & 16 Ga. Slug Tinkerer experimenting for Years with different Slug Loads including the Lyman and Lee Slugs as well as some self designed and Home shop Machinist made one To prevent the OP Cards sticking into the Lyman Slug, I been inserting a little plastic Beat which seems to make a difference.

Cheers

megasupermagnum
09-04-2021, 12:02 PM
Nice!

--Wag--

I've never heard of a coatimundi. It looks like they sometimes are pets, but all the pictures I'm seeing are showing them colored almost like a raccoon. The other thing is the feet. Look how massive the feet are on the animal in the trailcam pictures. A thought occurred that it may be an otter, since they appear to be a swimmers feet. I never knew otters could climb, but google says they can. The problems with that is the tail on this animal in the trail camera is that the tail is clearly very slim. An otter's tail is very wide and robust for swimming. The other problem is that this bait was at least 3/4 of a mile from a small pond, and the main body of water is about a mile. There is a marshy wetland a couple hundred yards away, but with how dry it is, it appears to have no water in it. Maybe Otters can go that far on land, I don't know why they would though.

I'm thinking it must be a fisher with a thin tail. Maybe they get a thin coat in the summer, I'm not sure. Before this year I had never seen a fisher in person, got any on trail camera, and did not know anyone who had. Talking with the DNR, it sounds like they are mostly noctournal, and fairly rare, especially outside of the NE part of the state in the pine forest. Now this is possibly the second fisher I've got on camera this year, hundred of miles apart, in broad daylight, far outside the pine forest. The first one was over a deer carcass. They are a cool animal, and I'd like to see one in person.

https://i.ibb.co/gRG333D/IMAG0629.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/8MgD6BN/IMAG0631.jpg

megasupermagnum
09-04-2021, 12:07 PM
I've noticed on some devices the bear pictures are very dark. These are just after sundown, so they are dark, but I'm not having any problems clearly seeing the outline of the bear on my computer. If you are seeing mostly a blob, try turning up the darkness settings on your screen.

tunnug
09-04-2021, 12:16 PM
Nice!

--Wag--

That's what I was thinking when I saw the pictures, saw one up close while scouting a few years back and it looked just like that.

444ttd
09-04-2021, 01:55 PM
great bear!!!!!

i would have thought fisher but the tail ain't just quite right. i had a fisher at my deer stand. he was there every morning for two weeks and then he just left. the grey squirrels were happy to see him go tho.

Butzbach
09-04-2021, 02:11 PM
Could your mystery animal be an incredibly dark coated grey fox? They could easily get that high in a tree.

centershot
09-04-2021, 02:14 PM
Congrats MSM, awesome hunt! I have to confess, I've been rather successful at "nap hunting" myself! LOL! It's great that you were able to capitalize on all the effort you put into that hunt, woul've been a bummer to strike out after all that work! Great job, hope you enjoy those steaks!

megasupermagnum
09-04-2021, 02:59 PM
Could your mystery animal be an incredibly dark coated grey fox? They could easily get that high in a tree.

No, definitely not a fox at all.

megasupermagnum
09-04-2021, 03:23 PM
I'm honestly stumped. It looks mostly like a fisher, but that thin little tail just doesn't quite fit. The picture isn't that great, but overall it appears the animal has very fine short fur, especially on the tail, like you would expect on an otter. Fishers have long fluffy fur. Judging by the sunlight, it was not raining in that picture, and there was no water close enough that the animal could have been wet. It's definitely some kind of weasel/otter type animal, not a fox. It's hard to tell size exactly, but I'd guess the body to be maybe 16" long, maybe not quite 3' overall with the tail. I'm seeing pictures of baby fisher that look similar, but this is way too big to be a baby. It's definitely not a house cat.

GooseGestapo
09-04-2021, 04:03 PM
Fisher, summer coat.

W.R.Buchanan
09-04-2021, 07:17 PM
Well done MSM! You put alot of work into that meat and I hope it is enjoyable.

Are you going to end up with a Bear Skin Rug?

Randy

dverna
09-04-2021, 08:26 PM
It is funny how hard work and commitment results in “luck”. A fine ending for all your effort and investment.

Great write up!

NyFirefighter357
09-04-2021, 09:32 PM
It looks like an otter to be I blew up the pic. Also otters can climb trees. https://youtu.be/tQ5cvezsUV8

Duckiller
09-04-2021, 11:51 PM
Nap hunting also works for ducks. Especially if you are in the blind by yourself. People in nearby blinds make comments about letting bird land on top of me.

762 shooter
09-05-2021, 05:37 AM
Nice bear!

hard work = good "luck"

I would bet there are quite a few nap hunting experts on here.

bigbore442001
09-05-2021, 10:11 PM
Excellent hunt. Congratulations.

megasupermagnum
09-05-2021, 10:57 PM
I fried up some burgers and a slice of what will be jerky. Neither flavored. I knew it would be good, but it's every bit as good as the bear I got last year. I've heard so many times that the big ones get a strange flavor, but that does not seem to be the case with this one. Fantastic taste.

LeonCarr
09-06-2021, 04:03 PM
Excellent bear!

I consider it something special anytime a big game animal is taken with a shotgun, even more so with ammunition you made yourself.

Congratulations!

Tripplebeards
09-07-2021, 09:02 AM
What a dandy!!!! Thanks for sharing!!

Buck Shot
09-07-2021, 12:53 PM
Nice bear, congrats! Thanks for the great report and pics, too. Enjoyed reading it.

Could that be a pine marten in the tree? Don't know whether you have them there...

Re: Nap hunting, I got my first (and only) "double" on deer after waking up to see two of them about 6 yds away. Shot one of them (bullet went straight thru, and deer ran 50 yds or so) and when I went looking for it, I saw her partner about 80 yds away in a field and shot him, too.

megasupermagnum
09-07-2021, 01:46 PM
Hey, it does look a lot like a pine marten! That might be it.

Tripplebeards
09-07-2021, 02:24 PM
Looks like a Marten or Fisher to me.

tward
09-07-2021, 05:16 PM
Nice hunt, thanks for sharing! I’ve done some nap hunting. If hunt I went on I remember seeing my brother in law surrounded by 5 or 6 deer grazing. He said he was awake the whole afternoon and never saw a deer!. Tim

Treetop
09-08-2021, 02:54 AM
Thanks for the great story, MSM! I liked the "after action forensics" report as well. One of my hobbies is collecting old Belgium Browning Auto 5s. The Remington 11-48 is very similar to the Auto 5 internally. I just love the recoil impulse on those old reciprocating barrel self loaders. Thanks again for the post. TreeTop

megasupermagnum
09-08-2021, 04:10 AM
The 16 gauge Remington 11-48 is a special machine for sure. It's built just for 16 gauge, trim, light. Not that the Auto 5's are big at all, but it's lighter than a standard Auto 5. The 11-48 is almost a sweet 16... and you can buy them for $200. The "self adjusting" friction setup of the 11-48 has its limits, but it works really well in 16 gauge with the relatively narrow window of use, vs a 12 gauge. I run loads 7/8 oz up to 1 1/4 oz with no problems at all. There is one advantage I know of with a few Remington 11's or Browning auto 5's, and that is the trigger guard safety. Most people want to get rid of their "suicide safety". I wish I could put on on my 11-48. Thankfully the 11-48 uses the same trigger group as all modern Remington shotguns, and you can buy oversized buttons, and in left or right hand versions so you can actually use them without hand acrobatics.

Tripplebeards
09-08-2021, 09:44 AM
I remember seeing a Fisher run across the road when I was Bear hunting in winter. They are pretty good size. About the size of a small fox....https://i.imgur.com/vflVcC4.jpg

Marens are lot smaller if I remember.

megasupermagnum
09-08-2021, 09:22 PM
Another suggestion I got today was a long-tailed weasel. I'd have to say this is the third animal that looks an awful lot like it. They have the fine fur, and thin tails like the one in the picture. I think the trail camera picture animal looks a little large and bulky to be a weasel. That, and it appears to be all brown, where a weasel has a whitish belly.

jimb16
09-13-2021, 05:10 PM
I've successfully used that same nap hunting technique on white tail and turkey. I think it must be the peaceful sound of snoring that draws them in!