PDA

View Full Version : Mattresses

Half Dog
09-03-2021, 09:26 AM
I’ve purchased mattresses and it seems the ones made nowadays won’t last more than 1 year before they collapse. It seems that the mattresses my parents bought lasted decades. Can anyone recommend a mattress that will last?

Wayne Smith
09-03-2021, 09:28 AM
Most mattresses last 8 years, if it is not a pillow top style you can turn it over and use it for another few years. Do you have a spring box under it? Without that it will collapse quickly.

Half Dog
09-03-2021, 09:39 AM
Unfortunately the mattresses we have does have a pillow top. The mattress came as a set with the box spring and wasn’t inexpensive or the bottom of the line. I’m disappointed in its longevity.

Nueces
09-03-2021, 10:07 AM
The only mattress I've used that lasted and was completely comfortable was a Talalay latex one. I can sleep right out to the edge. Just passed 10 years and it's as good as new. Most expensive mattress I ever bought, too.

bakerjw
09-03-2021, 10:17 AM
My dad bought a sleep number bed years back. His golden lab used it more than he did. We inherited it and have used it for years. One of the bladders developed a leak or 2 and needed replacing which was expensive. Looking at it, you could see black mold had grown on it which had resulted in a recall. I contacted them with the original purchase information and received 2 brand new bladders.
Great bed.

sparky45
09-03-2021, 10:57 AM
Sleep Number.

444ttd
09-03-2021, 11:28 AM
in 30 +/- years i have only owned two beds. both of the beds were page bedding. the 1st last me over 20 years and the 2nd is what i have now.

http://www.pagebedding.com/

Walks
09-03-2021, 12:21 PM
My Sleep number is going on 25yrs.
If I didn't like we be sleeping on something else.

Finster101
09-03-2021, 12:34 PM
Another vote for Sleep Number. Ours is eight years old with zero problems.

MUSTANG
09-03-2021, 12:43 PM
We have gone to deep Memory Foam mattresses on the bed. We ordered one for the California King - 1st one failed to "Expand" and we got a free replacement. It is now going on 10 years old now. We have multiple Guest mattresses for when Kids and Friends come to visit; we put 3 inch tall Foam Topper mattresses on the Box Spring/Mattresses and they work very well (From Sam's Club/Costco). This extended the Queen size beds to mattresses that are 30 to 40 years old now being serviceable. Just a thought.

John Guedry
09-03-2021, 01:23 PM
Sleep Number this is the second, the first was ruined in a flood.

tigweldit
09-03-2021, 03:06 PM
King size Sleep Number. Bad back. After 5 or 6 "Top of the line" mattresses, this is the only one that gives me complete comfort. The wife sets her side to her number, I set my side to my number (pressure). Great system. I'd buy again. You spend about a third of your life in bed, so you should have a good one. Not cheep, but worth every penny.

beemer
09-03-2021, 05:29 PM
My wife retired from a small mattress company after working there for almost 20 years. They made whatever quality you wanted custom work as well, she said you got what you paid for, better quality foam, padding and springs.

Wayne is right a pillow top can't be flipped but it can be turned around, we bought our own pillow topper. A two sided mattress needs to be turned and flipped, that is recommended by the company. There was no guarantee on a mattress if you didn't replace the box spring, they do wear out. Setting on the edge of a mattress for extended periods is not recommended.

The one we ended up with is a pocket coil and really like it. Each spring is in in a fabric pocket for support and not tied to another spring. Any movement is not transferred to another spring or person. Pocket coils are more expensive than tied spring units but are comfortable.

swamp
09-03-2021, 09:07 PM
I use a slab of 4 inch high density foam with .5 inch plywood under it. So far over 20 yrs. I like them stiff.
swamp

GhostHawk
09-03-2021, 09:41 PM
A We spent 5k for a custom made all foam mattress with a 15 year rebuild it guarantee. We had it rebuilt 3 times, and the last time they were not too happy to see us. We put it out on curbside for free pickup for anyone who wanted it a year before the guarantee ran out.

We then bought a new base and coil spring innerspring mattress that also had a temperpedic layer. On top of that we put a 3" temperpedic pad and artificial down pillowtop. This has been a pretty good setup. We currently have it flipped upside down. It is a bit firmer that way.

Mattress 240$
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FIOOMRE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Base 190$
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072F9SWDJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Topper 152$
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JL1TT61/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In total under 600$. Mattress came in a box, rolled, air sucked out of the bag it was in.
Base was easy to put together.

Our old mattress was 21 inches top to bottom and was a pain to put sheets on.
The new mattress is 12" and much easier to make the bed.

Don't buy a pillow top that is attached if anyone who sleeps on it is even close to 200 lbs. Eventually you will need to flip that mattress and turn it to work the holes to the other corner.

Walk into a local store, tell the salesman straight up the specs for this mattress and pad. And tell him if he can't beat or match the price your going to go order it online. Sit back and watch him wiggle.

MrWolf
09-04-2021, 08:59 AM
I spend about half my time sleeping on the floor due to my back/neck. I need the firm support to get my back to separate to even try getting some sleep. I've seen one comment liking the sleep number for a bad back. Since this is a mattress recommendation thread, figured I might well ask as I would much rather be in bed with my gf than the dogs on the floor.

444ttd
09-04-2021, 01:42 PM
I spend about half my time sleeping on the floor due to my back/neck. I need the firm support to get my back to separate to even try getting some sleep. I've seen one comment liking the sleep number for a bad back. Since this is a mattress recommendation thread, figured I might well ask as I would much rather be in bed with my gf than the dogs on the floor.

dogs on the floor? i think not!!!!!!;-)
https://i.imgur.com/gcZTYPx.jpg

Wag
09-04-2021, 03:10 PM
Best bed I ever slept on was a water bed but dang, are they ever difficult to move if you move even once in a while. There is, of course, the risk of it leaking, etc.

Now, I'm using a Tempurpedic. As nice as anything else, I suppose but dang, was it ever pricey. It better last me the rest of my life!

--Wag--

Finster101
09-04-2021, 03:33 PM

You can go in to a Sleep Number store and try them. I usually keep mine at 90-95. That is pretty firm. When my back is acting up a bit more I go to 100 but usually don't leave it there but a few days. Still not as firm as the floor but better than most mattresses you will find. The wife likes her side much softer. They are independently controlled and movement from one side to the other is barely discernable.

shooterg
09-04-2021, 06:40 PM
Been sleeping in water beds for 40 years now . Wife won't have anything else , she keeps the temperature cranked up so I'm usually sleeping on TOP of the covers ! Had one mattress spring a leak, not a big problem, the liner contained it . Only real problem if the power is out over 2 days it gets COLD . They make the mattresses with any baffling system you like now, from "seasick" sloshing to firm as a regular mattress.

Wag
09-05-2021, 09:59 AM
Been sleeping in water beds for 40 years now . Wife won't have anything else , she keeps the temperature cranked up so I'm usually sleeping on TOP of the covers ! Had one mattress spring a leak, not a big problem, the liner contained it . Only real problem if the power is out over 2 days it gets COLD . They make the mattresses with any baffling system you like now, from "seasick" sloshing to firm as a regular mattress.

We found a thermal shield for our water bed which eliminated any heat or cold transfer out of the bed. That way, we didn't have to use a heater at all. It was just a blanket that we put directly on the mattress, then made the bed over the top of it. Something similar to this: https://www.thewaterbeddoctor.com/detail.aspx?ID=3327

There are others, of course.

--Wag--

GregLaROCHE
09-05-2021, 01:03 PM
I just bought a new mattress this year. It’s shocking how much they cost these days.

MrWolf
09-05-2021, 05:41 PM
dogs on the floor? i think not!!!!!!;-)
https://i.imgur.com/gcZTYPx.jpg

Hehe. See the puppy in my avatar? He is around 160 lbs now and my gf's dog is around 80. No beds for them even though I have a king size. We looked at sleep numbers supposedly when they were having a sale. If I remember right, they wanted $7,000-$10,000. Ouch.

Beerd
09-05-2021, 08:01 PM
I’ve purchased mattresses and it seems the ones made nowadays won’t last more than 1 year before they collapse. It seems that the mattresses my parents bought lasted decades. Can anyone recommend a mattress that will last?

It's called being frugal. ;)

Finster101
09-05-2021, 08:41 PM
Hehe. See the puppy in my avatar? He is around 160 lbs now and my gf's dog is around 80. No beds for them even though I have a king size. We looked at sleep numbers supposedly when they were having a sale. If I remember right, they wanted $7,000-$10,000. Ouch.

What is a goods night sleep worth?

GregLaROCHE
09-06-2021, 12:04 AM
Most people spend a third of their life on a mattress. It’s worth investing in a good one if you can afford it.

MrWolf
09-06-2021, 07:15 PM
What is a goods night sleep worth?

I just ordered the sleep number 360 on Labor Day special. 50% off. Still hurt [smilie=l:

too many things
09-06-2021, 07:26 PM
sleep number
and you can get on ebay for about 10% of what they want had one for 30 yrs no problem

SeabeeMan
09-06-2021, 09:10 PM
We had a Stearns and Foster pillowtop go just past it's 10 year warranty period before quickly failing. We switched to a mail-ordered Ghost Bed, which I believe is memory foam and latex. We have about 4 years on it and have been very happy with it. It also appears to be on a better track holding up than our old mattress. No detectable sagging on my side, and I'm typically hovering around the 250lb mark.

Idaho45guy
09-06-2021, 09:36 PM
I bought my first memory foam from Costco in 2005 and it was still perfect until my divorce in 2012. Now, I buy nothing but memory foam mattresses. Got a queen-sized one off of Amazon and slept on it for a few years, then my girlfriend convinced me I needed a king-sized bed. That is now two years old. I think I spent $400 on it, and another $90 for the frame/base. No box spring required.

My buddy bought a Casper memory foam, and it was around $1800. He swears by it.

hiram
09-06-2021, 11:42 PM
Sterns & Foster