PDA

View Full Version : What's this?

XBT
08-31-2021, 04:10 PM
I ran onto this in a somewhat remote area in Western Utah. It's about ten feet high and the ring on top is about four feet in diameter. It looks like it's been there for a long time. Anyone have an idea what it is?

r80rt
08-31-2021, 04:17 PM
Zombie trap.

Dusty Bannister
08-31-2021, 04:38 PM
Given that it is in a little fenced area, and the slats are at an angle, it might be a wind powered pump to move water into a stock tank.

Hogtamer
08-31-2021, 05:49 PM
Was there ever any nuclear testing near there back in the day? If so it may have been something to measure radiation and a lot of it has rusted away.

Ural Driver
08-31-2021, 06:29 PM
Ya got me stumped....:?

starnbar
08-31-2021, 06:40 PM
It is very self evident it was a high power rifle target plenty of holes in it.

XBT
08-31-2021, 06:50 PM
Given that it is in a little fenced area, and the slats are at an angle, it might be a wind powered pump to move water into a stock tank.

The ring is square and level, and does not move. It only appears to be tipped because of the angle of the picture. The slats are loose on the ring and do move in the wind.

imashooter2
08-31-2021, 06:53 PM
Gas vent?

XBT
08-31-2021, 06:56 PM
Was there ever any nuclear testing near there back in the day? If so it may have been something to measure radiation and a lot of it has rusted away.

There was no nuclear testing in this area. I do see and hear military airplanes around here, could it be a radar reflector?

Finster101
08-31-2021, 06:57 PM
Looks like the fence comes to a corner there. Could it at one time have been a boundary marker?

Winger Ed.
08-31-2021, 07:11 PM
It's a fancy electronic rain guage used by the national weather service,,,,,, or what's left of one.

Do a quickie search for 'nodes beacon'. It'll pop up a few pictures of them from before
the term was sort of captured by the modern wireless communication industry.

XBT
08-31-2021, 09:05 PM
[QUOTE=Winger Ed.;5253979]It's a fancy electronic rain guage used by the national weather service,,,,,, or what's left of one.

Do a quickie search for 'nodes beacon'. It'll pop up a few pictures of them from before
the term was sort of captured by the modern wireless communication industry.[/QUOTE

That's it! Thank you for solving a mystery.

Winger Ed.
08-31-2021, 09:18 PM
There's some really cool stuff out in the wide open spaces.

Check out:
'Concrete arrows on the ground'. You might have one or two of them out there too.

Idaho45guy
09-01-2021, 07:35 AM
Thought for sure it had something to do with aliens or the paranormal universe. Utah has all sorts of creepy things associated with it. Skinwalker ranch is one. Beautiful state, but there is a very dark force there.

bedbugbilly
09-01-2021, 08:56 AM
I'm glad that mystery is solved! I went back several times to take a look at the photos and had absolutely no clue as to what it might be. You learn something new every day - thanks for sharing!

gwpercle
09-01-2021, 10:53 AM
It's a fancy electronic rain guage used by the national weather service,,,,,, or what's left of one.

the term was sort of captured by the modern wireless communication industry.

" Nodes Beacon " Man ... You're Good !
You get the big ... ATTABOY ... for that one !

Even the Term "nodes becon" doesn't give away what the darn thing is !

I an utterly amazed at the totally useless information I can / have pick up on this site ... no other comes close .
By the way ... is insanity a requirement to be a member or is it simply a useful thing to have ... :kidding:
...I was tested once . :happy dance:
Gary

Bazoo
09-01-2021, 11:03 AM
Thanks Ed for the info and the arrows. That was neat too

cwtebay
09-01-2021, 12:44 PM
Winger Ed nailed it, there is one in one of my pastures that my grandmother used for her weather reporting. Mine is now sans the cap and has a mineral feeder / fly rub station on it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk