PDA

View Full Version : 45acp shot shell trim die dim's

crandall crank
08-30-2021, 04:10 PM
Getting ready to make some 45acp shot shells from some 308 cases. I do not have a HF saw and am having a time cutting the cases to "rough" length.

Does anyone have an "original" RCBS trim die that can measure it and supply the dimensions? It will be just as easy for me to have a trim die made as to do anything else, who knows I might even get it heat treated and hardened.

Secondly, from the research that I have done, an entended #3 shell holder is needed. It the "current" Competition shell holder the same as the older #3 extended shell holder?

Thanks..Crandall

Mr_Sheesh
08-31-2021, 08:37 AM
I have that rig in a press currently, I can get the calipers out and get you some data. Bug me if I forget tho as things are pretty zany here.

Bwana John
08-31-2021, 11:39 AM
Getting ready to make some 45acp shot shells from some 308 cases. I do not have a HF saw and am having a time cutting the cases to "rough" length.

Does anyone have an "original" RCBS trim die that can measure it and supply the dimensions? It will be just as easy for me to have a trim die made as to do anything else, who knows I might even get it heat treated and hardened.

Secondly, from the research that I have done, an entended #3 shell holder is needed. It the "current" Competition shell holder the same as the older #3 extended shell holder?

Thanks..Crandall
I use HF saw, and case trimmer to cut the case to 1.20" before using the 41 mag die forming method but I have found....

The length of the overall case is based on the size of your particular ejection port and if you have an extended ejector or not. The case must clear everything during ejection when the case crimp is blown back out strait. The longer you can leave the case, the higher the payload.

Alferd Packer
09-01-2021, 02:03 AM
Maybe longer case no fit in magazine if case too long?

Bwana John
09-01-2021, 12:45 PM
Maybe longer case no fit in magazine if case too long?

The cut down case itself will not fit into the magazine until the final heavy roll crimp is applied, the cartridge is then 1.185" oal. I use the beveled bottom of a .357 mag sizing die to apply the heavy roll crimp. The heavy roll crimp also helps the cartridge feed easily.
A standard RCBS #3 shell holder is all that is needed using this method.
The HF chopsaw is ~$35.

crandall crank
09-01-2021, 04:38 PM
Thanks for all of the information, but I'm still looking for the dimensions of the DIE itself.