PDA

View Full Version : Steel Targets

Wandering Man
01-10-2009, 12:00 AM
I had a wonderful suprise the other day.

I started casting boolits for Cowboy Action shooting. I had a friend make some steel targets for me to practice on. :Fire:

This is probably not a suprise to others, but when I went to pick up my targets after a bit of practice, I found most of my boolits sitting quietly on the ground under the steel.

What joy to be able to recycle these little critters! :drinks:

WM

docone31
01-10-2009, 12:02 AM
Jeepers, that is great. Mine just explode on contact.
Grey dust.

38 Super Auto
01-10-2009, 12:09 AM
I think if you throttle back on the velocity, they wont explode and many are recoverable

Wandering Man
01-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Well, the next time I went shooting, they did kinda explode. I think it might have something to do with how soft/hard the boolits are.

I'm pretty sure I was using some left-over Oregon Trail laser casts for my second practice. There wasn't anything left for me to pick up. :-?

WM

Boerrancher
01-10-2009, 11:03 AM
I have a 1/8 scale Human target made out of half inch plate. I can't quiet punch through it with a cast boolit, but I can dent it good. I have better penetration with softer cast than I do harder. Both turn to dust but it seems that softer cast seem to hold up a bit better to the impact. I guess it is because the softer cast tries to flow and the harder cast just breaks up. This is also evident by the fact that I can find remnants of the base with the softer cast, and nothing left of the harder stuff.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe