PDA

View Full Version : Getting Better Results

wv109323
08-30-2021, 01:44 PM
I shake and bake my PC bullets with Smokes powder. I use black BB's in a smaller container.
My boolits are acceptable but the coating is an uneven coat. I would like to get a thicker more even coat.
What are the secrets to getting a thicker more even coat?
I have read a larger bowl can be helpful, is that true? How many black BB'S?
I am coating 9MM bullets in 120 and 125 g. and 158 g. RN.

dave 45-90
08-30-2021, 04:03 PM
I used a Lyman brass cleaner with airsoft bb’s [3 years]
Did a nice job, but I wanted to use the powder and color I liked. Not married to a brand
Got the Harbor electrostatic and built a turn table powder coater contained in plastic storage box from WW
Center ground comes up thru the middle of container lid for ground clip
Cut hole in side of container for gun
Table turns one time and they are done
Can do candies now and they are beautiful
Tried some powders that didn’t do good vibrating
Stuck like glue with new system
AND there is no dust, or waste. All stays in WWorld container
I will post pictures if you guys like
Used a turntable used to put statues and like in China cabinets for display
I would never go back to rattling

para45lda
08-30-2021, 04:19 PM
Dave 45-90

I would love to see a few pics of your setup. Sounds too simple!

Thanks

Wes

dave 45-90
08-30-2021, 04:50 PM
It is. And I love it
In my shop
Will post pictures later today
No powder wasted, non floating in air and on me. Tilt the Wally World container and scoop powder back in container
The rotary turn table makes it soooooo neat
The ground rod goes thru a small hole in lid for gator clip
Hold gun thru hole in side of container
1 rotation and it’s finished
I really think I could get sawdust to stick
The container maintains a thick cloud of pc
Nothing escapes
You could do it in living room. Although mom would throw me out on my ear

GregLaROCHE
08-30-2021, 04:54 PM
I’ve found if you want a thicker coating it won’t usually turn out as smooth as a thin coat. You can always do a second or even third coat if you want. I normally size after PCing so the sides are smoothed out. It reduces grease groves, but you shouldn’t really need them with PC.

dave 45-90
08-30-2021, 07:12 PM
288120288119288118288117288116Took a couple pictures

I don’t use rotating pan in oven I just pull pan out by ground stem and take the pc Boolits off with right angle needle foreceps. Foil stays clean and powder isn’t wasted
Brass screw soldered to pan for a real good ground on brass rod
Brass Ground rod is brass sleeved on the end for the gator clip
I know it’s energized well cause the Boolits pull the powder to them like an electromagnet
I’m happy
All holes are close tolerance
Turntable cord is hot melted glued around hole
Total investment 100 bucks

dave 45-90
08-30-2021, 07:48 PM
288122. The Boolit liner upper
The gun. Harbor Freight
The pans WWorld
Turntable Amazon
Brass rod. Mcmaster. I machined and threaded the end of brass rod . Used brass tube as sleeve
Plastic storage container WWorld
Powder Fleabay

charlie b
08-30-2021, 08:02 PM
Why do you want a thicker coat? I try to get as thin a coat as I can.

If you want a thick coating then go to a gun.

S&B is more for thinner coats and works well for that. You can do two coats if you really need a thicker coat.

dave 45-90
08-30-2021, 09:15 PM
It’s not a thick coat. Matter of fact it’s a little thinner and more even than my old way 1 coat. The edges are sharp and the grooves are not filled

Iwsbull
08-31-2021, 04:32 PM
Wow, those look great. If lazy don’t take over I might have to follow your lead on that.

dave 45-90
08-31-2021, 05:18 PM
Wow, those look great. If lazy don’t take over I might have to follow your lead on that.

Pretty slick. So easy and results never vary. AND no matter what powder you use. It sticks and passes the smash test

OS OK
08-31-2021, 05:43 PM
You have to use a PC that will coat in a tub to get good results, if not a good PC, you have to electrostatically apply it to get it to adhere.

Something I do after the tub shake is dump the whole contents on a cookie sheet. I grab one end and shake it gently back and forth to make the casts roll in the powder. That supercoats the sides where they bump into each other in the tub and leave bare marks. Mine coat so thick I have to tap each cast on the edge of the pan to knock the excess PC off.

https://i.imgur.com/cXMI7wi.jpg

I use a black gloss mixed 50-50 with a non gloss white by Sherwin Williams...together they do a fine job. I used to coat in multiple colors but so many bowls and BB's or poly-pellets were required that it got to be too much. I gave all the colors to a NEWB back east.
Now all I PC with is my 'Old Lead' blend...each time I add a little PC to the tub the color of grey changes...that's all the variety I need.

https://i.imgur.com/wtmZ6fZ.jpg

dave 45-90
08-31-2021, 06:27 PM
Looking Good How do the Candy Apples do

OS OK
08-31-2021, 06:35 PM
I never tried any candy type stuff.

dave 45-90
08-31-2021, 06:52 PM
I never tried any candy type stuff.
Never worked well for me till I went with electrostatic.

OS OK
08-31-2021, 07:39 PM
Never worked well for me till I went with electrostatic.

I think those colors are just beautiful,

https://i.imgur.com/QkMeBkb.jpg

but between metal working, wood working, casting & loading (and me being a 'pack rat') I just don't have any room for a spray rig and small booth in the shop. All 3 garages are stuffed full. Besides I'm lazy about the coatings anymore, I just want to get them done, heck after all it's just a lube job we are doing.

dave 45-90
08-31-2021, 08:21 PM
Real beauties u have there

OS OK
08-31-2021, 08:32 PM
Real beauties u have there

They aren't mine Dave...I copied the picture from somewhere? I wanted to keep it because they were so dang beautiful! If I could do that without electrostatic gear, I'd be all over it.

BC17A
09-10-2021, 04:15 PM
The Boolit liner upper
The gun. Harbor Freight
The pans WWorld
Turntable Amazon
Brass rod. Mcmaster. I machined and threaded the end of brass rod . Used brass tube as sleeve
Plastic storage container WWorld
Powder Fleabay

Dave, how close can you put the boolits next to each other and still get good powder coverage down to the base? I really like your tub rig and might try it with a 5gal bucket.

hickfu
09-14-2021, 08:20 PM
I like to use an hexagon shaped tub from Costco that had jelly beans in it. I just dump in bullets about half way and pour in a couple tablespoons of powder (no BB's) and put it into my tumbler for around an hour. They are usually perfectly coated and you cant wipe it off if you tried.

If Im in a hurry I use a cool whip container (still no BBs) with a little bit of powder and I swirl and turn for a few minutes. They usually dont turn out fully covered but it you wear the nitrile gloves from harbor freight you can turn the bullets in your fingers and it coats the rest of the bullet, even in the grooves.
cant find the pic afterwards but here is what they look like in the cool whip container.

I just pick them up with the gloves and roll them between my fingers until fully coated and bake for 45 minutes.