PDA

View Full Version : 7 TCU gauges

milkman
08-30-2021, 10:52 AM
I just received a new barrel for a Savage rifle in 7 TCU. I didn't think about the gauges till the barrel arrived. Can I use 223 gauges? If not, is there a work-around. It looks like gauges will take a couple of months to order the correct ones. I will be forming the brass from 223, and I do not have any brass that is the correct headstamp or has been fire formed.

NSB
08-30-2021, 11:15 AM
I must be having a senior moment, but what gauges are you referring to? I fireformed hundreds of 7tcu cases from .223 and never used any gauge in the process. Also, what is “the correct headstamp”? I used whatever was readily available and it all worked fine. I shot IHMSA Silhouette for years with my 7tcu and took a few deer with it. All I ever did was take .223 ammo and chamber it, pull the trigger, and I instantly had 7tcu brass. I don’t know if that’s an acceptable way to do it, but I shot an awful lot of 40x40s with both my 10” and 14” barrels and never had a problem with accuracy or my gun. I’m curious as to what's changed?

toallmy
08-30-2021, 11:32 AM
I believe the op is referring to a set of headspace gages to install a new barrel on a savage riffle .

NSB
08-30-2021, 11:48 AM
I believe the op is referring to a set of headspace gages to install a new barrel on a savage riffle .
Yep, I was having a senior moment. Thanks

Czech_too
08-30-2021, 03:30 PM
As per the interchangeability chart from PTG & JGS, .223 headspace gauges can not be used for the 7TCU, nor the other TCU cartridges.

I went through something similar recently, only I was going with the 6.5TCU using a Savage action. I ordered the gauges directly from PTG and had them in a couple of weeks, as I recall. It didn't take 4 months like it did for the barrel, from a different mfg.

There is a post, by me, on how I formed the brass for a 7TCU.

NSB, drop me a PM

milkman
08-30-2021, 05:49 PM
That's what I was afraid of but was hoping for a different answer.
Thanks everyone

Elmer Fudd
08-30-2021, 06:18 PM
Just set your dies, form the brass, and set the headspace to that formed brass. Don't over-think it.

Nobade
08-30-2021, 08:09 PM
223 Ackley Imp gauges are what you want to set the barrel headspace. 7mm TCU is just a necked up 223 imp. At least every one I have ever measured in the shop.