PDA

View Full Version : zoysia grass

porthos
08-28-2021, 10:53 AM
anyone ever planted zoysia grass. (plugs or seed) and if so what were the results? i live in western Pa,

zarrinvz24
08-28-2021, 10:56 AM
I’ve seen it down here in the south. I have centipede.

Finster101
08-28-2021, 11:12 AM
I have some I started at my pole barn. I like it. I grows slower than some other grasses making the need to cut it a bit less. I don't know how well it would hold up in a high traffic area or in your climate. I did mine with a partial pallet of sod I was given and then put out plugs once I saw that I liked it. It is slowly filling in.

Sasquatch-1
08-28-2021, 01:34 PM
I live in the Eastern Panhandle of WV. I tried planting some about 16 years ago. I made the mistake of fertilizing with dry weed and feed and it all died. I had used plugs.

When I was growing up we had it. I lived just outside D. C. in Maryland at the time. It greens up much later then normal grasses and goes dormant much earlier. So if you like lush green lawns for the longest period it may not be for you.

Also, as I remember, onion grass was about the only thing that would grow through it. It's also suppose to be fairly drought resistant.

hiram
08-28-2021, 02:13 PM
When I was a tyke my Dad planted plugs. We lived in Brooklyn, NY and the Zoysia filled in the lawn.

echo154
08-28-2021, 04:23 PM
I live in central Illinois. It is the first to go brown...last to go green. As far as hardiness, it does better than most, crowds out weeds and grows slow but thick.

15meter
08-28-2021, 04:39 PM
30+ years ago there was a sod farm on I-75 north of Dayton Ohio that advertised it. They had it growing along the expressway.

It always went completely dull dead grass brown in the fall, it looked like it was flat out dead.
Came back in the spring but sure was as ugly as you could imagine in your worst thought of what a lawn should look like.

Finster101
08-28-2021, 07:12 PM
I guess living here in Florida mine never goes dormant. It is green year round. I like that it is a much finer blade of grass than St. Augustine and feels better under foot. It is very hardy and weed resistant.

Sasquatch-1
08-29-2021, 08:27 AM
I can remember that some people would actually paint their yard green when it went dormant. I don't know if it was a special paint.

It is also subject to a certain disease that will kill patches almost like mange on a dog.

tankgunner59
08-29-2021, 03:50 PM
I bought some plugs years ago and waited a week to plant, didn't take. My advice, if you get it plant right away.